Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

To Krabi or not to krabi in 2 weeks

• larryfrombe-
    rkley

Joined Travelfish
    23rd May, 2008

Ok... On the 24th of this month we are heading to Thailand for our honeymoon for 10 days.... We had planned to fly to Koh Samui and then hit the ferry over to Koh Phangan for a few days... We then where thinking about getting a place on Samui for a day or two... Now I have only booked for three days on Phangan and was thinking Maybe I should fly down to Krabi for a 3 or 4 days then grab a bus over to the gulf coast and head to Phangan... or vise versa... Any ideas if this is to big of a PIA for a 10 day trip? I know the weather MAY be worse on the krabi side, but it sure looks like a nice area...

Regards
    Larry

#1 Posted: 12/8/2008 - 22:28

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Larry,

I'd stick to the Samui side -- otherwise you'll be spending a substantial chunk of your holiday moving from one place to another. The weather in Krabi will be poor when compared to the Gulf coast, and while it's a pretty area, it's less so in the rain.

Another option is Ko Tao -- the small island north of Ko Pha Ngan -- it's not Krabi, but pretty nonetheless -- and just a boat trip away (rather than a boat/bus/boat combo).

#2 Posted: 13/8/2008 - 07:27

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Larry,

As nice as Krabi is, I'd likely do what Somtam suggests too. As he says, the weather will be much better on the gulf side this time of year, and you would be spending too much time gettting from place to place. Your 10 days will fill up pretty quickly just with Samui and Pha Ngan. Congratulations by the way. Have a wonderful honeymoon.

p.s. it looks like you'll miss the full moon party.

#3 Posted: 13/8/2008 - 09:16

• larryfrombe-
    rkley

Joined Travelfish
    23rd May, 2008

We talked last night and decided to go with your suggestions and stick to the gulf side for this trip...
    We have three days book on KPN as of now and I think we will decide to head to Tao or Samui once we get over to KPN... We will keep the other coast for another trip...

Thanks for your help
    Lp

#4 Posted: 13/8/2008 - 19:14

• larryfrombe-
    rkley

Joined Travelfish
    23rd May, 2008

Is there a quick boat (catamaran) over to Tao? If we only plan to do a "intro dive" and not a full padi do you think heading to tao is worth it? I would guess the ferry is rather inexpensive??? iten looks like this...

25th arrive late in BKK
    26th spend the day in BKK
    27th Fly to Samui and ferry to KPN
    28th KPN Green papaya
    29th KPN Green Papaya
    30th KPN Green Payapa
    31st ???
    1st ???
    2nd ???
    3rd ???
    4th Back to Samui and fly to BKK

#5 Posted: 13/8/2008 - 19:29

• travelrock

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2008
    Total reviews: 18

all the talk about weather is overrated. spent 2 weeks there low season and it rained 1 day.

pha ngan is a farang ghetto with nothing to do. unless you like those crap fmps.

i would do tao/samui or krabi/khao sok np

#6 Posted: 13/8/2008 - 22:42

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Wet season can be luck of the draw -- two weeks with one day of rain is not unheard of, but it is unusual. One trip I did in Phang Nga was there for three weeks in wet season and it rained every-single-day.

The weather chart we have on the site is based on weather data supplied by the Thai meteorological department.

Re Larry's diving question -- you'll find most of the dive shops on Ko Pha Ngan will take you towards Ko Tao anyway. The only spot I can think of on Ko Pha Ngan with good off the beach diving (and snorkelling) is Ao Mae Haad on the northwest corner -- it's not too far from Haad Salad (where Green Pappaya is).

Have fun.

#7 Posted: 14/8/2008 - 17:38

• travelrock

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2008
    Total reviews: 18

3 weeks of rain is rare.

bit of rain is good.

thailand is way too hot where it's sunny

mae haad snorkelling is poor.

if you go to the gulf just do tao and samui

#8 Posted: 14/8/2008 - 21:31

• larryfrombe-
    rkley

Joined Travelfish
    23rd May, 2008

Well I think we put an end to the Krabi idea due to timing.. I dont know if we wanna waste a whole day on boat bus etc.. I think we might jsut head over to tao for a day or two... The Koh Tao Cabana looks great.. Anyone been there? How long is the trip to Tao from KPN?

#9 Posted: 15/8/2008 - 21:53

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Hi, I totally agree about not wasting time travelling to krabi in a short holiday. But, krabi is a beautiful place and has stunning natural beauty.

Koh Pha Nang is a great island and very fun, sumui is alright (like phuket is) but I would rather do Krabi and Ko Pha Nang myself.

:)

#10 Posted: 26/8/2008 - 22:00

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
@KRABI PURA - a new riverside guesthouse in the heart of Krabi Town ... By therese on 1 Jun 2007 1 6012 13 Jun 2007
Krabi Town - Krabi Cozy Place Hotel ... By Ramblergirl on 12 Feb 2009 0 2255 12 Feb 2009
Thre weeks in Krabi area - July and August 2007 ... By therese on 16 Aug 2007 0 4330 16 Aug 2007