Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thai islands January- island hopping

• maliamaui

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2008

My husband and I have about 4-5 nights at the end of our SE Asia trip around the 14th January 09 (I know--planning way ahead). We were looking at going around the Ko Lipe or Ko Lanta area. It looks from the weather map like it is drier in that region in January?
    I'm from Maui so we're looking to do more than just hang on the beach. We would like to do day trips to other islands, snorkel and hike through jungle or to viewpoints of other islands, and hopefully be where tourists do not severely outnumber Thais. We will probably be there for a weekend just after peak season and want to avoid crowds.
    Would this area be the best to explore for these things? Would it be too much to stay a couple nights around Ko Lipe and a couple around Ko Lanta taking the ferry between (cost)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. mahalo

#1 Posted: 13/8/2008 - 15:20

• Advertisement

• travelrock

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2008
    Total reviews: 18

pick 1 trang island stay there. do daytrips from there. no need to change islands. libong would be a god choice to avoid crowds.

#2 Posted: 13/8/2008 - 22:46

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Yes I think you would probably be better staying on one of the islands off Trang.To go from Trang to Koh Lanta is 2 1/2 hrs via minivan with two small ferry crossings. Personally I like Koh Lanta but at that time of year there will be lots of tourists there.We caught a cheap fare from Bangkok to Trang via NokAir,not sure if your coming from that way. If you do go to Trang head to the railway station. Opposite is were you can pick up tickets to the islands.
    Regards

#3 Posted: 14/8/2008 - 08:26

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Well, I'm actually going to agree with travelrock on this ;-)

The islands out from Trand lend themselves to island hopping as there's a bunch of them. Some are very low key -- Sukorn and Libong, others quite touristed -- Ngai, Mook, Kradan. But Trang's mainland hinterland is also interesting.

Lipe is good also, but it's getting pretty busy (in a low key kinda way) so it depends what you're after.
    January is great down there.

#4 Posted: 14/8/2008 - 17:44

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Annoying rebels are sometimes right eh Somtam? ;-)

The Trang islands are relatively expensive, particularly Ngai which caters mainly to upmarket tourists. Kradan only has two resorts so capacity is very limited, check there's room before you get on boat.
    You can ask at Seabreeze (next to the train station) in Trang to check vacancies. They seem more helpful and honest than most travel agencies around the station.
    the main beach on Muk is dominated by Charlies resort but there are cheaper options a bit inland.

Other island options around there include Sukkorn (wonderful sunsets but so so beach) and Ko Libong (coral trashed by local fishermen dynamite blasting so don't go there if you are a keen snorkeller) but not many tourists...in fact I was the only one when I went but that was a few years back and not peak season. The food prices at the Ko Libong Nature Resort were extortionate when I was there BTW. Not to be confused with the Ko Libong Resort (within easy walking distance) which has more expensive bungalows but much better value food.

#5 Posted: 14/8/2008 - 18:32

• travelrock

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2008
    Total reviews: 18

annoying rebels r always right :-)

#6 Posted: 14/8/2008 - 21:34

• aonangmike

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2008

I would recommend the following:

1. Fly to Trang airport
    2. Transfer to hat yao pier
    3. boat to Laoliang Island; stay for a couple of nights
    4. boat to Lipe and Taratao NP for a couple of nights

Re: Laoliang- snorkeling right off the beach, amazing beach, chance to try some rock climbing, no crowds

#7 Posted: 12/9/2008 - 14:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Island hopping ... By natje812 on 23 Oct 2013 5 891 25 Oct 2013
Island Hopping ... By j4s on 5 Nov 2012 0 592 5 Nov 2012
Island hopping from Aus? ... By Rukus on 2 Dec 2011 5 2754 21 Apr 2012
Andaman Island Hopping ... By dazedandconfused on 3 Nov 2010 3 3301 5 Nov 2010
Indonesia Island hopping - which ones ... By emma066 on 21 Oct 2009 7 13728 23 Jul 2010
Island hopping in Burma ... By Barons on 8 Oct 2013 0 657 8 Oct 2013
island hopping by plane ... By imbrian943 on 17 Oct 2012 0 681 17 Oct 2012
One month island hopping ... By KRStamm on 11 Sep 2007 1 2754 12 Sep 2007
Island Hopping in June ... By beachfunguy on 21 Apr 2009 4 3251 27 Apr 2009
Holiday/Island hopping ... By derekhowie on 26 Jan 2011 2 3683 28 Jan 2011