Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

suggestions for 1st time travelers to Thailand?

• pzimmie

Joined Travelfish
    16th August, 2008

In November my brother and I will be spending 14 days in Thailand. We are flying in and out of BKK. Neither of us have been to Thailand before. We are interested in a relaxing trip - some culture (temples/markets), some beach, lots of massage. We would appreciate any and all suggestions on our itinerary. Thanks

#1 Posted: 16/8/2008 - 10:54

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi pzimmie,

Lots of amazing temples and markets in Bangkok. I like to stay near the river as it's possible to walk or take water taxis to most of the major temples. Also, you can get your fill of temples and Buddhas in Ayuthaya, which is great for a day trip or an overnight trip.

Sangkhlaburi is great for scenery and "culture." Worth checking out in my opinion, but definitely not on weekends or during Thai holidays.

Beaches ... if I were you, I'd stay close to Bangkok and avoid making any long trips. Lots to choose from around Trat Province, only about 5 hours by bus from Bangkok.

#2 Posted: 16/8/2008 - 20:04

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

As usual Tilapia is spot on with these suggestions. I'd like to second the recommendations for hanging out in Bangkok for the amazing temples and markets and massages and also the side trip to Ayutthaya for serious temples and history.

I've also always been a fan of Kanchanaburi as a fun, guick getaway from Bangkok. It is particularly great for outdoors-type stuff. Kanchanaburi is pretty much directly on the route to Sangkhlaburi I think.

Samet Island is another beach option that is close to Bangkok and fairly easy to reach. It usually isn't too crowded either, as long as you aren't there on the weekend or during Thai holidays.

Two weeks should be enough to have a great experience on your first visit. Have fun. Cheers.

#3 Posted: 17/8/2008 - 07:16

• travelrock

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2008
    Total reviews: 18

"We are interested in a relaxing trip - some culture (temples/markets), some beach, lots of massage"

Bangkok is anything but relaxing and ayuthaya is underwhelming.

Why not go to Nong Khai, then fly to krabi. Good mix there.

#4 Posted: 17/8/2008 - 20:34

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

For Bangkok choose a hotel near the Skytrain route and you will have an easy time getting around town.
    Skytrain link: http://bangkok.sawadee.com/skytrain.htm

Probably the lower Sukhumvit Road area will be interesting. A hotel in this area will allow you to walk to many places such as travel agencies, malls, street vendors, bars, restaurants and internet shops.
    Hotel link:
    http://www.thaiwebsites.com/hotels-sukhumvit-bangkok.asp

Travel agencies are the places to go for tours. Just find the nearest travel agency to your hotel and check out their menu list of tours. Read up on Thailand before you leave home and see what interests you.

Things to see and do in Thailand:
    http://www.visualthailand.com./
    http://www.asiatraveltips.com/ThingstodoinBangkok.shtml

Massage parlors are all over the city. Read up on taking a taxi or other transportation from the airport into town. There is an Airport Express bus too but two people sharing a meter taxi is about the same price and you get to your hotel in half the time. In Bangkok only pay the meter price when taking a taxi, meter taxi cabs are cheaper than tuk-tuks.

Closest beach to Bangkok is in the Pattaya area, Jomtien Beach is better than Pattaya and it is around 20 minutes away by baht bus. Lots of nightlife in Pattaya and cheaper hotels than Bangkok. Travel agencies, like Bangkok, make tour arrangements. Bus ride from Bangkok is around 2 hours from the Ekamai bus station (off a Skytrain stop.) Koh Larn Island is a nice trip from Pattaya (20 baht by ferry from the Bali Hai pier.)

Have a nice trip and don't fall in love with a pretty girl and forever send her money from home.

#5 Posted: 18/8/2008 - 00:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
SE Asia/Thailand/Laos Twitter/Facebook account suggestions for travelers? ... By Knigel on 2 May 2011 5 3569 30 Aug 2011
First time Thailand 2 months, suggestions? ... By obray7 on 2 Oct 2014 7 536 3 Oct 2014
first time in Thailand, November~ ideas, suggestions? ... By pamjane on 21 Jun 2009 12 3550 23 Jun 2009
First time traveller to Thailand needs an idea of a schedule?? any suggestions do's and dont's ... By Maggiemoo on 6 Mar 2010 3 1834 6 Mar 2010