Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Has anyone been to see the naga?

• mic59

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2008
    Total reviews: 5

I have heard about a thing that is viewed by a lot of Thais that is called the naga. It is near Nhong Khai in North Eastern Thailand and is some kind of ball of fire which some Thais seem to think is a dragon or snake. It is near the Mekhong and may be caused by a mixture of methane and phosphane gases. I'm not a scientist but this is what I have heard. Has anyone seen this and what is the best time to go. From all reports even if the naga is a bit of a loss the crowds and atmosphere of expectation are meant tomake up for it.

#1 Posted: 20/8/2008 - 17:37

• Advertisement

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

My wife has told me about this but I havent been able to understand exaclty what shes been going on about. I will try to find out and post back if i get any infomation.

BTW, I found this in google - http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=57846

THE story of Paya Naga, a legendary, serpentine monster, is often told in Nong Khai, Thailand. It is the local equivalent of Scotland’s Loch Ness monster, and every year, thousands of people gather on the banks of the Mekong in Nong Khai, north-eastern Thailand, as well as across the river in Laos, in hopes of catching a glimpse of the Paya Naga.

...Scientists on both sides of the border claim that the Naga fireballs are globules of methane and nitrogen created by decomposing organic matter trapped deep beneath the Mekong. When the balls break the water’s surface, they self-combust and remain alight until they eventually run out of fuel and fade. This, they said, happens on the day when the sun is nearest to Earth.

#2 Posted: 26/8/2008 - 21:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.