Train to Kanchanaburi

• chrispyrolls

Click here to learn more about chrispyrolls
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

Hey,

I have read conflicting reports on the train (from Bangkok) to Kanchan... does it stop at Nakhon Pathom or not? One timetable I have says it does, but then I read another that was not so clear?!... Or is it the case that only 2 trains from Thon Buri(0745 & 1355) stop there?...

Also, the plan is to train it to NP, spend a few hours there then hop onto a train to Kanchan... is this feasible in a day?

Thanks

Chris

#1 Posted: 26/8/2008 - 02:57

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

chrispy,

from what i remember the souther line trains from bangkok's hualamphong station do stop in nakhon pathom. the two trains from the thonburi station to kanchanaburi and beyond definitely stop there. i imagine to be sure you could catch the early train from thon buri to nakhon pathom and pick up the afternoon train for the rest of the trip. or if that is too much time in nakhon pathom, you could always catch a bus for half of the trip and the train for the other half.

i've done this stopover before but as part of a bus trip instead of a train trip. it was quite feasible. hope that helps. cheers.

#2 Posted: 26/8/2008 - 05:33

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Chrispy,

Exacto is exacto. This link is for the Southern Line, and you'll see that Nakhon Pathom is the first stop after leaving Thonburi.

http://www.railway.co.th/English/Time_HTML.asp

You'll see from the timetable that you can definitely spend part of a day there, but you have to take the early train. You would have to stay in NP for about 5 hours and you'd get to Kanchanaburi at around 4:30.

You can always take the train there and then continue to Kanchanaburi by bus if 5 hours is too long. There are loads of buses going there about every half hour.

#3 Posted: 26/8/2008 - 20:19

• chrispyrolls

Click here to learn more about chrispyrolls
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

Cheers everyone for the info - much appreciated

#4 Posted: 26/8/2008 - 20:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
The train to Kanchanaburi ... By LancasterLad on 31 Oct 2008 1 2639 2 Dec 2008
Tourist train to Kanchanaburi ... By KazAussie on 10 Aug 2011 3 2168 11 Aug 2011
Train from Chumphon to Kanchanaburi ... By karyn on 5 Jul 2006 8 9914 2 May 2010