Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Famous Bamboo Tattoo Artist in Thailand?

• rsthomas

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2008

Hello!

I am looking for a recommendation for a tattoo artist in Thailand. There are so many places and artists, but I would really like to get it done by someone who is well known with the bamboo practice. If you can give me any sort of referral, I would greatly appreciate it. Cheers~!

#1 Posted: 27/8/2008 - 09:55

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Not sure about the process, but you may find what you're looking for at Wat Bang Phra in Nakhon Chaisi. Nakhon Chaisi is to the west of Bangkok, just outside of Nakhon Pathom.

If you go onto YouTube and do a search for this temple, or Tattoo Temple Thailand, you'll see lots of videos of tattoos being done on people. Looks painful!!!

There is a really cool festival there in February or March, I think, where thousands of people come to get their tattoos recharged. People will start behaving like whatever it is they have tattooed on themselves. For example, people with snake tattoos start to slither around and hiss. People with tigers will start to growl and prowl. Cool!

Good luck.

#2 Posted: 28/8/2008 - 02:45

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Arjan noo tattoo

GOOGLE THAT MATE.

#3 Posted: 28/8/2008 - 16:26

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

A guy I knew in Bangkok had the tattoo done at the festival in Wat Bang Phra -- drilled into the back of his neck with a sharp bamboo pointer...

It's worth noting that the bamboo is dipped in a single pot of ink and is used to tattoo hundreds of people and doesn't get much more than a rudimentary rubdown between applications -- there's a lot of blood, and, well, it's not hygienic at all, so if you're concerned about viruses transmitted by blood (Hep, HIV etc) then this is a pretty high risk pastime.

That said, the tattoo looked very cool!

#4 Posted: 28/8/2008 - 16:56

• kayarose

Joined Travelfish
    24th September, 2008

Don't get it done at a temple! As mentioned above not hygienic, not a new needle dipped into a pot of ink used on hundreds of people who may or may not be aware of how communicable diseases are spread.
    A better choice would be to go to Lonely Beach, Ko Chang.
    There are a bunch of shops. The best, friendliest and most professional is Bamboo Tattoo by One. One is an amazing artist who has been making Bamboo tattoos for something like 20 years. His father was a Bamboo tattooist also. One spent a year as a monk specifically learning the type of tattooing they do at the temples. He is a great guy and everyone at his shop is super friendly and helpful. the needles are new, the ink is poured into a water bottle cap for each customer. I have two tattoos from him already and will come back to get more when ever I am in Thailand.
    He has a nice website too. http://www.bambootattookochang.com

#5 Posted: 24/9/2008 - 13:26

• scott13

Joined Travelfish
    18th August, 2012

I can recommend Tiki Tattoo on Koh Phangan Island.
    One of the best Bamboo artist in Thailand and has multiple Awards to back this up.
    Including Best Bamboo artist 2010 , Best Tribal Artist 2011 and Tatau artist of the month international

He is specialized in Maori / Polynesian work as he is from New Zealand, but has a unbelievable knowledge of Tatau and Asian Bamboo tattooing. has married in to a Traditional Thai Tattoo family and learned with them.

I have had 3 tattoos done by him so far including a full leg piece and a half sleeve and a small one on the lower back.
    super clean lines and clean work, always shows you the sterilized materials before hand and uses single use materials such as ink cups etc no bottle caps !
    you can find him on his site and there are links on there to his Facebook account.
    http://tikitatau.blogspot.com

#6 Posted: 18/8/2012 - 11:15

• littledrago-
    n16

Joined Travelfish
    8th October, 2014

Hi guys, I can recommend this place: http://www.tattooschoolthailand.com/ where tattoo makers are really professional. Nice atmosphere, comfortable chair and what the most important: clean and safety. I have the traditional geometric design on my back like in the video, have a look: http://www.tattooschoolthailand.com/402-bamboo-training-traditional-

#7 Posted: 8/10/2014 - 07:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.