Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

BKK,Nong Khai, Ayuthaya, and Kanchanaburi in October

• LancasterLad

Joined Travelfish
    13th September, 2006

Hello. Any help with fine tuning the following would be appreciated. We'd like fairly good accommodation (up to 1,000 bahts a night), and places where a decent nights kip is a reasonable expectation.

Arrive BKK on 15 October, and booked in to the Navalai River Resort in Banglamphu, for a couple of nights.

Then taking the overnight sleeper train to Nong Khai. We've been to Nong Khai before and stayed at the Mutmee, but we'd like to try somewhere else. Any suggestions?

We'll stay in Nong Khai for about 4 days and then take the overnight train back to BKK, but will get off at Ayuthaya, and stay there for 3 days. Any suggestions on accommodation please?

Then the plan is to take a bus to Kanchanaburi, and spend the rest of our time there, before getting the train back to BKK. We want to stay fairly centrally, but away from the noise of the river. Any suggestions please?

Cheers

#1 Posted: 31/8/2008 - 17:38

• Advertisement

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

For Kanchanaburi, I really enjoyed our stay at Ploy River Kwai Guesthouse. Lovely, peaceful place, and very good value. see http://www.ploygh.com .

#2 Posted: 1/9/2008 - 01:43

• Oswulf

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2007

Ayutthaya accommodation suggestions:

The best hotel in town is Krung Sri River - but it's probably a bit above your budget. It's very close the the railway station and has Thai, Chinese and Italian restaurants. (I stayed there for 4 weeks and was very happy.)

Ayotthaya Hotel is very central, but the rooms are small. However, it matches your budget. 3* is about right for this place. (I stayed there for 3 weeks. The breakfast was very poor, and I had to complain about the smelly pillows, but that's about par for an hotel of this standard.)

The Grand Hotel is to the east of the main tourist attractions, but is in the middle of the night life.

U-Thong Inn - also close to the nightlife, but I have totally failed to book a room there.

Woraburi - new place, still sorting out lots of problems. Avoid.

Incidentally, I live in Ayutthaya and love the city. However, unless you passionately love ancient temples 1-2 nights is enough.

#3 Posted: 1/9/2008 - 23:12

• LancasterLad

Joined Travelfish
    13th September, 2006

Lother and Oswulf, many thanks.

For the extra few quid it's got to be the Krung Sri River in Ayutthaya.

#4 Posted: 1/9/2008 - 23:44

• travelrock

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2008
    Total reviews: 18

"We'll stay in Nong Khai for about 4 days and then take the overnight train back to BKK, but will get off at Ayuthaya, and stay there for 3 days. Any suggestions on accommodation please?"

I found Ayuthaya to be nothing special and wouldnt recommend staying there at all. Better off going to Samet if you want to stay close to Bangkok.

#5 Posted: 2/9/2008 - 07:15

• LancasterLad

Joined Travelfish
    13th September, 2006

Thanks. We'll be using Ayutthaya to by-pass BKK in getting to Kanchamaburi. So may as well give the place a whirl for a couple of nights, which now sounds enough.

I'm still looking for a good alternative to the Mutmee in Nong Khai.

#6 Posted: 4/9/2008 - 01:45

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

There are lots of good spots to stay in NK without having to resort to Mutmee. Check them on the Travelfish NK pages. I think that Mutmee is overrated.

If you haven't gone west along the river before, a sidetrip to Chiang Khan with a possible stop in Sangkhom for a night or two is highly recommended (by me, anyway.) From CK you can go south to Loei and then catch a bus to Phitsanulok , then go by train to Ayuthaya.

I think that Ayuthaya is pretty decent, but if you are into temples a stop in Sukhothai for a couple of nights may serve you better than the same amount of time in Ayuthaya. If you've been there already, then nevermind. Wat Yai in Phitsanulok is worth seeing, though. Amazing!

Also, if you can squeeze it in, you may really enjoy a trip to Sangkhlaburi from Kanchanaburi .

We stayed at the Tamarind GH when we were in Kanchanaburi . It had only been open for a few weeks. It was a really nice spot in a great location. It's mentioned in Travelfish, as well. I should comment on the place. If you stay in that area, take the train to Kanchanaburi if you can, perhaps from Nakhon Pathom. You can walk to most of the guest houses from the train station, but it's a bit of a hike from the bus station.

#7 Posted: 4/9/2008 - 03:20

• daflj

Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2008
    Total reviews: 4

Can anyone advise a newbie about getting to Kanchanaburi from Ayutthaya?
    Is it easy to do? Bus I presume?

Thanks in advance

#8 Posted: 22/3/2009 - 11:44

• Oswulf

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2007

Not easy to get to Kanchanaburi from Ayutthaya . There's no direct bus. And Ayutthaya doesn't have any taxis. Best bet would to be to ask your guest house/hotel to arrange a car and driver. Alternatively, go via Bangkok.

Ayutthaya/Bangkok can be done easily by shared minivan from the centre of town (if you don't have too much luggage), by bus or by train. Bangkok to Kanchanaburi can be done by bus or (more fun in my opinion) by train from the train station on the Thonburi side of the river. Khao San Road also has minivans that ply the route.

#9 Posted: 22/3/2009 - 12:13

• boxee

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2008
    Location Singapore

hello dafi

u can get a mini van direct from Ayutthaya to Kanchanaburi just ask you guest house , i done this my self in december it cost about 400baht , i arranged mine from p.u guest house

danny

#10 Posted: 22/3/2009 - 20:19

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Kanchanaburi and Ayuthaya ... By Gordon_M on 14 Jul 2006 4 1999 16 Jul 2006
Ban Mae Rim Nam, Nong Khai ... By exacto on 19 Feb 2010 0 3678 19 Feb 2010
Nong Khai to Phimai: how to get there ... By reenakukreja on 31 Jul 2007 5 3914 17 Aug 2007
Between Nong Khai and Ayyutthaya ... By Architeuthis on 30 Sep 2009 4 3376 1 Oct 2009
Fireball at Nong Khai ... By neosho on 31 Oct 2012 0 1400 31 Oct 2012
Prachuap or Nong Khai ... By LeonardCohen1 on 14 Mar 2013 11 1686 6 Apr 2013
Nong Khai and Surrounds ... By morroco on 1 Mar 2013 2 1323 2 Mar 2013
Nong Khai to Sukothai ... By swag on 23 Oct 2007 1 3836 23 Oct 2007
Nong Khai to Laos ... By Kevi19 on 5 May 2012 10 1623 10 May 2012
Getting to Nong Khai from Chiang Mai ... By mic59 on 18 Sep 2008 8 13607 6 Jul 2010