Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

A genuine trek in Northern Thailand

• ruzickaf

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2008

Hi all,
    I'm still looking for a more difficult trip (3-4 days) off the beaten pathways without superfluous sideshow, such as elephant riding and bamboo rafting and so on, surroundings Chiang Rai/Mae Hong Son in a small group of participants (max. 4 persons).
    I just want to walk in the mountains and watch the scenery of nature around me. I don't wanna do any unreasonable things, visit 5 hilltribe villages a day, drink beer every night in a tribal chief's hut... Has anyone got a same view of the trek in Northern Thailand like me? Has anybody executed such trek? Where? Which agency? (or alone, at your own risk?)
    We should arrive in Chiang Rai on September 12 with my wife. It would be fine to join with like-minded people.

Your advice is appreciated!
    Thanks.

Filip. Czech Rep.

#1 Posted: 1/9/2008 - 18:41

• Advertisement

• travelrock

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2008
    Total reviews: 18

you might have better luck going to Nan or Loei for such a trek. Places like Rai and Mai have all the touristy ones.

#2 Posted: 1/9/2008 - 19:18

• apsetours

Joined Travelfish
    1st September, 2008

-certainly agreed with comment #2, Nan is a place to be and proprably easy access from Chiang Rai or anohter option Doi Ang Khang National Park, 4 hrs away from Chiang Mai. The good thing about Nan is apart of treking its also worth to pay visit to mlabri village. traveling from Chiang Rai to Nan on public bus leaving CR in the morning around 9-10am to
    - Thoeng - nan - Thawangpaa - Pua( Access to Phuka Naitonal Park) - Nan or in Thai เชียงราย - เทิง -เชียงคำ-ท่าวังผา-ปัว-น่าน. all travel arrangement with Nan can be made direct thru any local agency in town... hope this help... and enjoy your stay in thailand...

#3 Posted: 2/9/2008 - 12:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Scenic trek in northern Laos ... By coralidiote on 13 Dec 2013 0 515 13 Dec 2013