Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

tell me where to go!

• bananapunk

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2008

I'm very puzzled right now. I'm arriving in Kuala Lumpur on the 17th of october and from there I want to take a flight to some nice paradise island for 2 weeks.

Now, there's the WEATHER factor. What island is the driest in this season? I was going to go to Kho Phangan, but after reading weather forecast i have doubts :|. Every website says something different. Does the rain season mean it will be raining or overcast most of the day, or just for an hour or two?

So far my best picks are : Kho Phangan, Kho Phi Phi, Pherenthian Islands, Langkawi and Bali.

PS. I'm looking for snorkeling, beach bumming and party in the evening (i'm 25, traveling alone)

Help Please!!
    Cheers, Lisa

#1 Posted: 7/9/2008 - 18:14

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

The Perhentian islands might well be closed by then.

From what you say, Gili Trawangan might be a better bet for you... should be OK weatherwise, it's a "party" island (with two quieter islands very nearby if you need a change of scene) and there's some sborkelling.

The ferry scam artists at Bangsal can be a bit of a pain but otherwise it's pretty easy to get there from Bali.

#2 Posted: 7/9/2008 - 18:47

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

October is usually one of the wettest months in all Thai areas. But we still get plenty of posts saying people had a good holiday with the usual daily mixture of one or a few showers/storms and sunshine/scattered cloud, some days with no rain. This has been the pattern in all my wet season visits (one of these went into early Oct.)

Prolonged wet periods are not too common in Thailand but I have to say in all the years I've been following the wet season (I'm a weather nerd) the most complaints of this have come from the Samui area islands in Oct, Nov and early Dec. But things are variable - I've only visited this area once during THAT period, in Nov 97, and I got good weather.

Statistically the driest popular Tahi island in an average Oct has been Ko Samet (216mm and 15 days with SOME sort of rain - could be a short shower at night). Most of Samet's beaches face east and are sheltered from the prevailing wet season winds which on the days when they get stronger can cause rough seas and blow a lot of flotsam and jetsom onto the beach.
    The wettest are the Ranong Islands of little Ko Chang and Ko Phayam (414mm-24). Samui has averaged 304-20.

In Malaysia, Langkawi is usually short of the end of its wet season in November. The Perhentians are like the Samui area. Tioman in the south-east of the peninsula is usually getting into its wetter period, but I have seen posts saying there is still normally plenty of sunshine in October. Nice island, Samet. I visited in August and have a fair bit of info in the link below (plus info on other islands mentioned).

Bali too is sliding into wet season, but is kinda like Tioman in Oct. I have been there twice in October and didn't get much rain. A short distance east is Lombok which is considerably drier as a rule, particularly the Gili islands which are in a kind of rain shadow area.

So where to go? The Gilis have snorkeling, beach bumming and party in the evening. Bali has too, although the good snorkelling areas are not so big on parties (although Nusa Lembongan will give you all 3).
    In Thailand I personally would avoid the southern Gulf, but I reckon Tao would give you the best combination of all 3. Elaewhere Phi Phi gives you all 3 and probably has the best partying, Samet is not so good for snorkelling.
    Tioman has all 3 (although the partying is low key and you need to stay at or near ABC for this) and is one you can fly onto in an hour from KL.
    My memory of Langkawi is it aint great snorkelling wise, otherwise a pretty nice island. But not many people usually in Oct.

#3 Posted: 7/9/2008 - 18:51

• mlcastela

Joined Travelfish
    8th September, 2008

Hello Lisa, maybe u want to join with me this is my trip untill now...
    16 october
    Chiang Mai - Kuala Lumpur
    17 - Kuala Lumpur
    18 Kuala Lumpur
    19 - Flight from Kuala Lumpur to Phuket (20 minuts different local time)
    20 Phuket
    21 Phuket
    22 Phuket - Ko Samui by plane; Ko Samui - Ko Phangan; Half moon party in Ko Phangan
    23 ko Phangan
    24 - early morning, ferry to Ko Tao
    24 - Ko Tao
    25 - Ko Tao
    26 - Ko Tao
    27 - Ko Tao
    28 - Ferry + Bus to Bangkok
    29 - Bangkok
    30 - Bangkok
    30 - mid night Portugal!

i will travel alone untill reach ko Phangan, there i will meet a thai girl that i know from chiang mai she use to go to ko tao and really recommended it to me. you can do snorkelling arround the island and swimming with sharks, u can but i will not!

It seems a bit tie, but i just have few time. I'm in chiang mai nowadays. If u want to join me, just send me an e-mail.

Regards
    Maria, Portugal

#4 Posted: 8/9/2008 - 15:58

• bananapunk

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2008

thanks for answers guys! Maria, yoru iterinary is pretty muc hthe same as mine, that would be great! But how do i contact you? I don't knwo how to send a mesage to users on this forum :(

#5 Posted: 11/9/2008 - 20:02

• mlcastela

Joined Travelfish
    8th September, 2008

ok, my e-mail is mlcastela@gmail.com, u can contact me by e-mail. i changed a bit my plans, but after 22 it stills the same. but we can talk by e-mail.

regards,
    Maria

#6 Posted: 16/9/2008 - 16:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.