Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Which Island to go to in November?

• flopsydaisy

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2008

Hi there

I am planning to spend a week in Southern Thailand at the start of my trip around South East Asia. Can anyone recommend which island to spend my week at?

Ideally I would like a fairly relaxing beach atmosphere, not too touristy and the option to visit some stunning scenary.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thank you.

#1 Posted: 7/9/2008 - 20:40

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

You could try one of the Trang islands... Ngai or Kradan depending on your budget (the former is more upmarket)...both have very little infrastructure apart from the resorts there....no roads, ATMs or shops. Nice karsts to look at and beautiful beaches. You can do daytrips to the other nearby islands while you're there. Shouldn't be too busy in November.

#2 Posted: 7/9/2008 - 23:23

• travelrock

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2008
    Total reviews: 18

ko chang is another or ko kood

#3 Posted: 8/9/2008 - 12:00

• mic59

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2008

Have a look at the Thailand weather map just to the right. It shows that the islands in the Trat area, Koh Chang, Ko Kut and Ko Mak have the lowest mean rainfall while those in the Koh Samui area have buckets in November.

#4 Posted: 8/9/2008 - 16:07

• flopsydaisy

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2008

thank you for the advice. I hadn't considered the Trang Islands and had been looking at going further South to the Krabi area. Maybe Ko Lanta? Has anyone got any comparisons between the two areas? Would I miss out if I didn't go to one of the Southern Islands?

#5 Posted: 9/9/2008 - 18:36

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

"I hadn't considered the Trang Islands and had been looking at going further South to the Krabi area."

The Trang islands are further south than Krabi and Ko Lanta so I don't quite get what you mean... where do you think the Trang islands are?

Krabi is scenic but very touristy. Phi Phi is the same. Lanta isn't nearly as scenic as those two and I hear there's been quite a lot of development in the last few years. I went there when it was pretty undeveloped, but still didn't particularly like it...it's OK but nothing special.

Check out "Best Thai islands on this site maybe...

http://www.travelfish.org/islands.php

#6 Posted: 9/9/2008 - 21:50

• RotPickup

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2008
    Total reviews: 35

Try Ko Jum.
    Very laid back; great accomodation; easy to get around and you can visit the krabi area attractions (RaiLay; Tiger Temple, KhlongThom Hot Springs etc.) before you take he boat there. Try to take the local boat (Bus to NuaKhlong,Bus to LaemKhruat, Boat) not the Lanta Ferry.

#7 Posted: 10/9/2008 - 00:19

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

The most stunning scenery for places with lots of accommodation and good beaches is at Railay and Phi Phi. Both are pretty busy, even in November - but you could check TRAVELFISH for Phi Phi's Toh Koh Bungalows on the super laid back east coast or if you want closer to town, AO Poh Bunglaws or Phi Phi Hill above Long Beach.

The outlook from the main beaches on Ko Ngai and Ko Kradan are pretty nice too, with lots of karst islands and a rugged mainland coast. Nice beaches too.

I like Jum, very nice and relaxed island, but the scenery is not exactly stunning. Ditto Lanta, although the mountains there are more imposing and there is good scenery overlooking the beaches in the south of the island.

#8 Posted: 10/9/2008 - 18:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.