Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Dinner Cruise on Chao Phraya, Bangkok

• ahxian

Joined Travelfish
    23rd August, 2008

I'm interested in going on a dinner cruise on Chao Phraya. However I found numerous sites offering bookings for the cruises.

This site seems the cheapest http://www.hotelthailand.com/thailand-activities/cruise/bangkok.html
    Is it reliable?

Also, these 3 cruises seems about the same: Grand Pearl Dinner Cruise, Chaophraya Cruise Dinner, and Chao Phraya Princess Dinner Cruise. Which is recommended? Thanks.

#1 Posted: 8/9/2008 - 23:25

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I'd say little need to book something like this in advance, but any hotel or agent in bangkok will be able to sort this out for you almost on the day and you'll probably have a better selection to choose from.

#2 Posted: 9/9/2008 - 06:50

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Hi early march my wife and I decided to do a dinner cruise. We went with LOY Nava and found it to be very good. Free pick up and drop from your hotel.Food was pretty good and heaps of it.This is a touristy thing to do but you get a great view of temples etc, lit up at night. Check out there website as they have two cruises 6pm and 8pm and prices etc are there

#3 Posted: 9/9/2008 - 07:18

• travelrock

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2008
    Total reviews: 18

a lot of them are expensive

#4 Posted: 9/9/2008 - 07:59

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

If you are looking for something inexpensive try the YOK YOR dinner cruise. It is more popular with Thais celebrating birthdays and anniversaries than it is with tourists, and you can order off a regular menu (it's not a set dinner) and the charge for the boat is something like 50B/person. In true Thai style you can BYOB - it's perfectly normal to bring your own bottle of wine or whiskey and simply order mixers from the waitress. There isn't a "cultural show" like on many of the tourist boats, but there is usually karaoke :) :)

#5 Posted: 9/9/2008 - 14:13

• Enigma

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2008

Most of the dinner cruises are, in my humble opinion, expensive and over-rated with mediocre food and average service. This is a great way to get a unique view of the city and an underwhelming meal to boot. Quite touristy, in all honesty.

For a dinner cruise with a twist, search out a dinner cruise taken on an old wooden rice barge. You'll travel at a slower pace and feel closer to the river. (Hint - not as good of an idea during the rainy season. A great experience from November to March.)

The Marriott Riverside Hotel runs their own dinner cruise on old wooden rice barges. I am sure there are others as well but I can not recommend them.

#6 Posted: 14/9/2008 - 17:18

• mic59

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2008
    Total reviews: 5

One thing about about Thailand, the more expensive may not be the best. Manohracruises have a dinner cruise for 1990THB but the YokYor cruise is a third to a quarter of the cost and has a range of menus. It also has 5 different boats. The Manohra has one set menu of 8 dishes while YokYor has 3 set(8,12 and 14 dishes) and a buffet.

#7 Posted: 14/9/2008 - 17:58

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore

If you just want to enjoy Bangkok by night while floating down the Chao Phrya, then Yok Yor is the way to go. They even have an English website now:

http://www.yokyor.co.th/english/

#8 Posted: 14/9/2008 - 18:06

• mic59

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2008
    Total reviews: 5

I was checking out the yokyor website and to tell the truth I was a litle bit confused. I sent an e-mail to them but their answer confused me even more. If someone has been on their cruise can you telll me what is the total cost(meal and boat charge). When they answered me they semed to think I wanted to charter the boat for a private party where I will be travelling on my own.

#9 Posted: 16/9/2008 - 20:43

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore

Ahh... I remember phoning them to make a reservation and it was really, really confusing.

My Thai isn't great, but I looked at the Thai portion of the website and it seems it's 140B for the boat tour (departs at 8 PM, back to the pier at 10 PM). You order from a menu of mostly Thai food and prices are 100 - 300B. For example, 120B for pork satay or 250B for lemon fish.

I've emailed them to confirm these things and I'll let you know if I can decipher their reply. Once you're in Bangkok maybe you can get the hotel reception to call and make your reservation :)

#10 Posted: 16/9/2008 - 21:08

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Chao Phraya Dinner Cruise - Have you done it? ... By Jon_Mak_Mak on 29 Aug 2007 4 1701 29 Aug 2007
Good & Cheap Chao Phraya River Cruise Dinner ... By kkswan on 5 Aug 2009 0 2492 5 Aug 2009
Chao Phraya River Express with Baggage ... By daydreamfarmer on 29 Mar 2013 8 1970 1 Apr 2013
Cinnamon sunset dinner cruise in Hoi An ... By cinnamoncruises on 16 Dec 2009 0 1363 16 Dec 2009
Dinner in Bangkok for business group ... By embeejay78 on 22 Mar 2012 9 1092 23 Mar 2012