Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Help for start of December in South Thailand

• Brad900

Joined Travelfish
    2nd September, 2008

I am digging through all of the data here, reading my guidebook, and trying my best to find an itinerary. It is a bit overwhelming! So ask for all of your patience with me if these are dumb questions of I have missed the previously posted answers...

Here are some details about me and my trip:
    I am in my 30's- meaning I don't want to hear the thump of the Bass all night ;)
    I will be traveling alone.
    I would prefer to be within "striking distance" of as much as possible.
    I don't want the bargain basement, but I don't want to break the bank either- mid to mid high (max of $100 USD a night)

I will arrive in Bangkok on Dec 6th and plan on grabbing a flight straight down to Phuket (or the Southern region based on some recommendations).
    The plan is to do the Beach/islands in the first part of my trip (Dec 6th-?)- and then travel back north exploring on my way to Bangkok for my eventual departure on Dec 30th. One of my big concerns is not being able to find a reasonable place to stay hence my long diatribe of a message here- I want to book early and be able to know I'm "ok" for the first part of my vacation at least.

I don't know how long I "should" stay in the island area- I'm just concerned about the high season and the lack of available rooms. A good example here is Prague- when I talk to friends I tell them Prague is a 3-4 day trip max. because after that you have consumed the majority of activities, after that it's really getting to know the locals and inserting yourself into the area. Any insights on the amount of time to stay would be great- I will be a certified diver by the time I get there so add in some time to dive and snorkel.

I traveled to Berlin, Germany over the holidays once before and stayed in some really nice hotels. but I met zero travelers and spent the entire time on my own :(. I don't want to put myself in that same situation- I definitely want to be in an area where I can make some contacts and hopefully friends.

As far as the rest of my trip- basically I will just search out my soul, relax and enjoy this amazing time away. Any suggestions and insights are most welcome!

I really appreciate all the help and guidance this site provides- thanks to you all!

#1 Posted: 9/9/2008 - 22:09

• Advertisement

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Hi you could catch a air asia cheap flight to Krabi then head to Koh Lanta.we stayed on long beach at sayang beach resort.about $65 us a night.right on the beach great food.nighttime head into main beach for bars on the beach etc.went diving twice with lanta divers,very professional good equipment +food.good for 4-5 days depending on your plans

#2 Posted: 10/9/2008 - 06:09

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

The only time you may need to worry about reservations is over the silly season of Xmas -- and then that will be dependent on the island you choose. For example is you're planning on having Christmas on Ko Phi Phi then a reservation is a very good idea, but if you're considering somewhere else, for example, Ko Lanta then it's less important.

Perhaps take a look through the islands section for ideas on which island would best suit your needs.

#3 Posted: 10/9/2008 - 08:31

• RotPickup

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2008
    Total reviews: 35

somtam2000 is right; unless you want to stay in a specific place you do not need to make a reservation.
    Maybe you could give Phuket a miss; it is very expensive and crowded there during the xmas season.
    Try Krabi or Trang.

#4 Posted: 10/9/2008 - 13:36

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Maybe you could do an island hopping circuit based on landing in Phuket.
    Here you spend a few days on each (or some) of Phuket, Phi Phi, Lanta, Jum, Railay ( Krabi ) and perhaps Khao Lak . All but the last are linked by regular ferries - and Krabi to Khao Lak is by minivan which can pick you up at the ferry pier.

#5 Posted: 10/9/2008 - 17:48

• Brad900

Joined Travelfish
    2nd September, 2008

Man! thanks so much for all the replies- you have released my fears! I was starting to look into Ko Chang and starting to "forget" about the Phuket region.

I am definitely going to look into Krabi and just play it by ear on lodging as I should be out of the island area by the 15th at the absolute latest.

So much to see and do!
    Can't December come quicker????

Thanks again!

#6 Posted: 11/9/2008 - 01:09

• lindsey

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2008

hi brad900. i'm going to thailand from the beginning of november till mid january. i've never been before, going alone and i like diving too. we should find a way to contact each other. aloha

#7 Posted: 11/9/2008 - 14:19

• GaryInThail-
    and

Joined Travelfish
    21st July, 2008

Krabi region may well be the place for you. I can recommend the book "Krabi: Caught in the Spell" by Thom Henley. It's not a conventional travel guide, but has tons of information. A little hard to find outside Thailand, but you can read a blurb on it at www.thomhenley.com. The cover picture alone will probably convince you.

#8 Posted: 11/9/2008 - 14:58

• Brad900

Joined Travelfish
    2nd September, 2008

Lindsey- that would be fantastic! always interested in meeting new friends!

Gary- Thanks for the book recommendation- you are so right about the cover picture- now more research on Krabi!

#9 Posted: 11/9/2008 - 21:02

• lindsey

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2008

hi brad
    how are we supposed to get each other's email address?

#10 Posted: 13/9/2008 - 15:21

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Via the boss? That's you only option right now as he keeps stalling on introducing a PM function on TF! ;-)
    He is very busy though, probably hasn't got time right now ... not only running this place single-handed but also possibly somewhat sleep deprived due to the latest addition to his family.

#11 Posted: 13/9/2008 - 16:15

• aonangmike

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2008

you can island hop all the way from Phi phi to Lipe nowadays. no need to do any travelling on the mainland. highlights include ko ngai, ko laoliang, and lipe and taratao national park

#12 Posted: 16/9/2008 - 18:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
South Thailand in December... ... By darryl_young on 31 Aug 2011 1 1118 31 Aug 2011
Flying into South East Asia - Which country to start in? ... By kipcasper on 13 Sep 2008 4 5169 29 Sep 2008