Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

landing in Bangkok then getting next plane

• bobjim

Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2008

Hi

I am landing in Bagkok at 19.00 in the evening and all the flights that interest me to Chang Rai and Laos leave at around 20.00 in the evening. Is there any chance of catching one of these flights or is 1 hour way to short.. any info would be appriciated.. really do not want to have to spend a night in bangkok then have to go back to airport trainstation the next day

#1 Posted: 12/9/2008 - 17:43

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi bobjim,

Depends on which airport you're coming in to and which these flights are leaving from. Regardless an hour break between arrival and departure is too close in my book.

We've got a story on places near Bangkok's airports should you decide to overnight.

#2 Posted: 12/9/2008 - 18:08

• bobjim

Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2008

thanks somtam will check them out. will first check if there is anyway of getting out of bangkok after my flight ...

#3 Posted: 12/9/2008 - 18:22

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

You will need more than one hour to make your flight if it at Suvarnabhumi. Some local, within Thailand flights also leave from Don Muang Airport way on the other side of Bangkok. I have been lucky and passed through immigration and picked up my bag in around 20 minutes or less and sometimes it takes a little more time.

Why not see Bangkok for a few days anyway? If you haven't been to Bangkok before why not see the capital city? This way you will be able to make any flights from either airport without running around like chicken with it's head cut off!

I wish my flights into Bangkok were at 7 PM. At this time you have so many other options to get into the city. City bus from the small bus station (need a shuttle bus to get to it,) is only 35 baht to get to the nearest Skytrain stop. Airport Express Bus (150 baht) has several routes to get you into town. And of course the meter taxi that can take you to the Sukhumvit/Siam area for around 380 baht.

Or - you might be able to take the sleeper train to Chiang Mai, this way you will also save paying for a hotel in Bangkok and get there the next day. Meter taxi to the national train station would allow you to make the 10 o'clock train. http://www.chiangmai-guideline.com/information/bus&train.htm

Don't pass up Bangkok if you have never been there before!

Good luck.

#4 Posted: 12/9/2008 - 18:56

• bobjim

Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2008

Cheers for the info , been to bangkok 4 times before so seen most of it normally heard south so this time going to explore laos Cambodia

#5 Posted: 12/9/2008 - 19:35

• alersy

Joined Travelfish
    18th June, 2008

The more I read about Suvarnabhumi, the more fervently I wish I'd chosen another country to transit through. I'm not worried about the first leg of my trip, as I have six hours between flights. I'm getting the impression that is going to be long, grim, uncomfortable and possibly unhydrated, but at least I have plenty of time to make my connecting flight.

On the way back, however (Laos to Japan), I arrive at 22:05 and my next plane leaves at 23:10. Do I have a hope in hell of making that flight, or am I gong to be wandering about the airport with no clue where to go?

#6 Posted: 15/9/2008 - 12:25

• cybervlad

Click here to learn more about cybervlad
    Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2007
    Location Thailand

IMHO time lag between flight less than 3 hours is not good idea. So you'd better overnight in one of nearest hotels and take your flight next morning.

#7 Posted: 16/9/2008 - 11:15

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

ALERSY

"I'm getting the impression that is going to be long, grim, uncomfortable and possibly unhydrated, but at least I have plenty of time to make my connecting flight."

This is not the Stone Age - there are refreshments and snacks that you can purchase! If you have a gold card or equivalent there are even VIP lounges that you can use and eat drink for free.

ALERSY

"On the way back, however (Laos to Japan), I arrive at 22:05 and my next plane leaves at 23:10. Do I have a hope in hell of making that flight, or am I going to be wandering about the airport with no clue where to go?"

Hey, you chose the schedule! If you book your luggage through to your final destination you will NOT have to go through immigration and claim it and then try to make your connection. When you check in for your initial flight ask them to forward your luggage to your last destination. If you have a different airline for the final portion of your trip you will have to have that confirmation number at your first check in.

If your bags are ticketed through to your final stop there is no need to go through immigration. Just follow the signs for transit passengers and find your next gate. You should have your ticket for your final flight if not there are transit desks. Yeah, you don't have a lot of time between flights but you bought the tickets that way.

Oh yeah, since you have so much time between flights on your first pass through Suvarnabhumi you will have time to scout the place out a bit. Take the time to find the transit desks, find out where the desk is for the airline who handles your last flight. This way you will not be wandering around lost when you have little time between flights. Often the same airlines use gates in the same general part of the airport - ask the airline reps where the departing aircraft might possibly be for your return home. (You can take notes too if you want.)

And finally, if you have an opportunity to print your boarding pass using the internet - do it! This way all you have to do is find your departure gate.

Sometimes I have to connections that are around an hour and I make my gates on time. But it is always with the same airline from start to finish. Otherwise if the connecting airline is a different carrier I prefer more time. If your flight is the same carrier from beginning to end the "company" looks out for you a little more - besides you are already in their system as being on the incoming flight and they know what time their flight arrived.

Good luck.

#8 Posted: 16/9/2008 - 11:35

• alersy

Joined Travelfish
    18th June, 2008

I know, I don't know what I was thinking. I don't remember the other options I was presented with now, but I'm guessing they were equally unappealing.

That is, indeed, my plan for the first leg...spend the six hours memorizing the airport layout. I'm flying with Thai Airways the whole way, so my luggage will be checked through. My understanding is that all the Asian flights are grouped in the same general area, so at least I won't have to hightail it to the other end of the airport.

The "long, grim, and uncomfortable" comment was based on what I'd read of user reviews of the airport, but it's good to know they were overstated. (Overstatement? On the INTERNET? Who knew?)

Thanks for the replies!

#9 Posted: 16/9/2008 - 12:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.