Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Islands - late sept to mid october

• YellowVanDan

Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2008

Hi all

Just found this site whilst looking for info on where to go in thailand at the end of the month and found this fantastic site!

So, my girlfriend are off to thailand for 2 weeks and we fly out to Bangkok on the 26th. After spending a couple of nights there plan to go to one or two of the islands for the remainder of the holiday and are unsure of where to go. I've been to krabi briefly before and spent 5 days or so on Phi Phi the year before the tsunami but other than that I haven't been to any other islands. I dont mind goign back to krabi and maybe a day visit to phi phi (for my gf) but don't want to spend all my time there as i like to see new places. Its my girlfriends first time in Thailand so everywhere is new to her.

What we are looking for is a chilled holiday, beaches, easy walks, nice food and a few drinks etc in the evening. We both like partying a lot but we're not really looking for it on this holiday so a beach bar or two is plenty. We may do a day trip or two and i may be tempted by snorkeling or sea kayaking (although not a priority). We're not looking for busy nightlife and bustling streets or over developed / crowded beaches..

I think i'd prefer to go to krabi / ko lanta area rather than the east coast islands even though the weather is likely to be a bit worse. My trip here previously was cut short due to loosing my passport and feel like I have missed out on a lot of it which is why I think I'm drawn to this group of islands. Am I wrong to prefer this side having never been to the east coast islands?

We are thinking of coming up with a couple options, depending on the weather - krabi, koh lanta, phi phi if the weather is good on the the west coast. If its not very good then possibly the north coast of Koh Phagnan?

Any thoughts and advice much appreciated!

thanks

Danny

#1 Posted: 17/9/2008 - 18:12

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Two chilled islands near Krabi are Ko Jum and Ko Yao Noi.
    Note too that the laid back east coast of Phi Phi is way relaxed, a completely different type of area to the more popular places - check TRAVELFISH for Toh Koh Resort and Relax Bay - and you could stay a few days and do a "daytrip" around to town, Long Beach , Phi Phi Don etc to show your girlfriend the traditional Phi Phi.
    Lanta sees way fewer people that time of year - just about everwhere will be relaxed. Long Beach there is a good one not too far from the car ferry.

Late Sept/early Oct normally sees it getting wetter in the Samui/Phangan/Tao region and so there is not a lot to differentiate from the weather point of view. So if you are keen on the Andaman, why not?

#2 Posted: 18/9/2008 - 18:30

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

The weather on Koh Phangan should be decent that time of year. As long as you stay away from the Full-Moon Party Beach then it's a pretty chilled, easy-going island.

An obvious option also on the west coast is Phuket. Sept/Oct. is still low season so the island should be pretty quiet and you should get some good deals on room rates. The northern beaches on Phuket are an entirely different world than the busy southern part. Kamala and BangTao Beaches are a nice mix of conveniences (good restaurants, internet cafes) and peace and quiet.

http://www.travelfish.org/province/thailand/southern_thailand/phuket

#3 Posted: 18/9/2008 - 20:06

• YellowVanDan

Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2008

hey, thanks for the replies, we'll take a look at them later tonight!

cheers
    Danny

#4 Posted: 18/9/2008 - 23:54

• YellowVanDan

Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2008

I've looked through your suggestions and it all looks great! I really like the looks of Koh Jum Lodge. Can you get from Phi Phi to Koh Jum directly? I'm thinking of going to Phi Phi for a 3 or 4 nights then over to Koh Jum?

What do you think?

#5 Posted: 19/9/2008 - 17:56

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

There are no direct ferries from Phi Phi to Jum. You have to go via Lanta (high season only) or Krabi.
    Last year I asked Pon at Toh Koh Resort on Phi Phi's laid back east coast how much a longtail directly to Jum would cost and from memory she thought around 2500.

#6 Posted: 21/9/2008 - 17:15

• YellowVanDan

Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2008

Thanks, 2500 doesn't sound too bad between 2 of us considering we'd pay 60 - 70% of that going back to Krabi and then to ko jum.

Finding somewhere that we'd like to stay on Phi Phi is proving a bit difficult. I've read your great blogs tezza, along with reviews etc and it seems to have bad reviews or be expensive. My girlfriend now wants to be nearer to the nightlife on Phi Phi which possibly makes long beach a bit far out and I'm not sure I'd be safe on a long tail after 1 too many buckets! I'm happy to sleep anywhere really but asa always, my lady likes a bit more comfort than me!

We are looking for somewhere thats clean, reasonably secure, has air con and isn't in the the villlage center and about 10 minutes walk of hippies bar or apache. near the beach would be nice but not essential. We can afford up to possibly 2500baht a night but as always, less is better :)

thanks

Danny

#7 Posted: 23/9/2008 - 15:06

• YellowVanDan

Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2008

I meant Toh Koh Resort could be a bit far out, not long beach!

#8 Posted: 23/9/2008 - 15:32

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Yep, Toh Koh definitely not on for late returns from town.
    I've always liked the looks of Viewpoint situated on the side of the hill overlooking Loh Dalum and town, and it would be well within your budget.

#9 Posted: 24/9/2008 - 19:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Perhentian islands and Taman Negara in late Sept - Oct ... By gilrand on 27 Jul 2009 9 10372 14 Aug 2011
Quick visit to Vietnam in late Sept - Planes, trains or automobiles? ... By gabic1 on 1 Feb 2011 0 1927 1 Feb 2011
25yr old female doing SEA late October-December ... By saramarie on 30 Sep 2012 2 764 15 Oct 2012
Vietnam in Late October to Early Novemeber - best places? ... By LindaLovelace on 29 Apr 2010 7 6383 11 May 2010
Thailand in LATE October - Phuket or Koh Samui, Bangkok, Chiang Mai ... By mck28 on 22 May 2007 1 4368 23 May 2007
10 night trip to Malaysia in late October/early November ... By kpibear28 on 28 Aug 2013 2 1149 22 Nov 2013