Thailand forum

Following the Mekong

• Gorey

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3

Howdy,
    This december im going to be out in thailand to see my family over christmas rather than rot away in my dorm in devon. anyway i gave myself about a month to visit them and do my own thing, so i have about 3 weeks to play with here.

Right to the point i had an idea while in class cause i wil be going back to Loei cause i loves it and from there i thought about traveling along the border from where the Mekong begins to form the border to where it curves away near Ubon, so basically following the river for the length that it forms the border. Its all part of my ongoing art work (yea im one of them, my subject is always travel and language) and this is essentially about the journey itself creating the work but yea i wont bored you anymroe with that.

What im after is some advice, i intend to walk for the whole trip, ive been to most these places before but always on some sort of motorised transport so time scales are obviously very different. But yea i was hoping anyone whos maybe done something simalar or the same thing could give me some better idea of time and the land, its not like i need to be waling on the river banks the whole way but its important for me to be as close to the river as possible and at times im assuming there may not be roads to follow that stick to the rivers course.

Also weather, would that put a stop to it altogether, i mean i already have safety stuff sorted out were i too have an accident somewhere remote or what not but obviously i wont put myself in unnecessary danger for an art project you know!

So any input/advice/anything would be great, if i havtn explained things well or properly i can do again my english isnt as good as it could be sometimes.

cheers

#1 Posted: 28/9/2008 - 21:36

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Hi Gorey,

So, you're thinking of starting around Chiang Khan and walking to Nong Khai?

I haven't walked the route, but I have hitch-hiked it (so, I've walked parts of it), and I can tell you that it is very easy to get a lift should you need one.

Also, due to the growing prosperity along the river thanks in part to the Friendship Bridge and increased trade and traffic, there are a lot more temples being built. And, usually, where you can find a temple you can find somewhere to sleep if you need it. There is not a glut of guest houses between Pak Chom and Sangkhom.

Sounds great. I'll stop and chat if we cross paths. I'll be on my bike doing your route, and more.

#2 Posted: 29/9/2008 - 21:29

• Gorey

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2007
    Location United Kingdom

Hey, thanks for the info, that part of the trip sounds pretty good then. I'll probably stop for a while in nong khai before carrying on, darn the mutmee and its gaia bar! Then its just seeing how far i can get to where the Mun river meets the Mekong in Ubon Ratchathani Prov. I doubt ill get the whole way but it should be fun.

#3 Posted: 30/9/2008 - 16:39

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

No doubt it will be fun and interesting. But, did you say that you wanted to do this route in 3 weeks? I'm quite sure that it will take two weeks to ride that far on a bike.

The following site was done by a guy who did a fairly large trip around Thailand and Laos. This link begins in Nong Khai. If you keep reading you'll get a good idea of what he saw, distances and times (for cycling), guest houses/hotels, etc. along the way as far as Tha Kaek.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/pic/?o=3Tzut&pic_id=272602&v=AW&size=large

Hope it works. Let me know if it doesn't.

Happy planning. That's a long walk!

Cheers
    Mike

#4 Posted: 30/9/2008 - 23:34

• Gorey

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2007
    Location United Kingdom

Hey, thanks for the site link, very interesting stuff!

I tried to meant to write walk as much of this distance within the 3 weeks, and sometime i hope to be able to go the whole distance in the single trip, unfortunatly those times are far away.

perhaps i should finally learn to ride a bycicle..

cheers

#5 Posted: 1/10/2008 - 05:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.