Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Necessary Immunizations?

• jessnagy

Joined Travelfish
    8th August, 2008

Hi there,

My girlfriend and I will be traveling to Southeast Asia in January of 2009 for four months. We're trying to avoid the fees at the travel clinic, so wondering if anyone knows of shots we will need other than tetanus, hep A & B, and yellow fever?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jessica

#1 Posted: 30/9/2008 - 02:50

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Yellow Fever?? What for? You don't need it unless you're coming from a country where it's endemic.

Travelfish has a section on vaccinations if you do a search. Some people get Typhoid, Japanese Encephalitis and Rabies shots. I spend at least 6 months in SE Asia every year and have never bothered with any of them but of those three typhoid is perhaps the most useful.

#2 Posted: 30/9/2008 - 03:11

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

deff get the hep shots. not think there is much else that you aint mentioned.

#3 Posted: 5/10/2008 - 16:47

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

I live here. Agree with SBE.

#4 Posted: 7/10/2008 - 13:50

• Gorey

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3

if your from the uk most travl clinics put alot of emphasis on japanese encephalitis vaccination and really push it on people. i found a very good nurse who explained rthe high profit margin from the vaccine because its still unlicensed and she admitted its not worth getting unles you intend to spend a very prolonged period in a very rural area.

#5 Posted: 8/10/2008 - 20:44

• ChangFai

Click here to learn more about ChangFai
    Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2007
    Location Thailand

Using my local medical centre here in the UK , and after 20+ years of vaccinations for SE Asia travelling , I have now been informed that there is no need for a typhoid jab for Thailand , but they now advise a diptheria shot that came with polio and tetanus included , that last 10 years .

The only other vaccination I have is a Havrix Hepatitis jab , which I have no been informed lasts 25 years , not the 10 years originally thought .

#6 Posted: 13/10/2008 - 01:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.