Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Teaching in thailand

• beemeers

Joined Travelfish
    26th November, 2007
    Location Canada

Hello everyone,
    just wondering if anyone has ever done teaching in thailand, as in the TEFL, teaching english. I was just in thailand in april-june.. and of course fell in love.. now would like to go back to asia for awhile, but also be able to work a bit so the funds don't go to fast.

#1 Posted: 1/10/2008 - 00:50

• Advertisement

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

You need a degree and a TEFL cert. There's work here but it isn't very well paid.

The bureaucracy is daunting - you will have to find a job that will sort out your visa and work permit. You need a Non immigrant "B" visa, which is not obtainable in Thailand.

if you are going to teach you can teach at govt schools or in the private business sector.

Teaching should really be a career move ...not a way to get a cheap holiday.

#2 Posted: 1/10/2008 - 17:24

• beemeers

Joined Travelfish
    26th November, 2007
    Location Canada

I wasn't thinking a cheap holiday but something to occupy my time while im in the area, and not looking for really too much money, just enough to pay for either food for a day or accommodation for the day. I just really wanted to do it for the experience.

#3 Posted: 4/10/2008 - 05:56

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

You'll still need a work permit if you do volunteer work.

There are places that take on volunteers. but think about it...if you are going to teach you HAVE to stay for the course....you can't just wander about giving the odd lesson here and there....who's going to learn anything form that?

Teaching is a job that is not for just for teacher's benefit there are the students to think off too.

#4 Posted: 5/10/2008 - 10:10

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

I have taught TEFL in Thailand, been DOS of a Language school and also taught in the Thai school system. khunwilko is not 100% correct, but nearly so. To get a decent job here, you really need a degree now. A TEFL certificate may do in sme places, but they will be smaller, rural schools. Where khunwilko
    is correct is in saying that this is not a fly by night thing. If you decide to teach, then make a commitment for a year and don't do it just to earn a few quick bucks while sightseeing. That is unfair on your school and on your students.

You are looking at about 30k baht per month.

#5 Posted: 7/10/2008 - 13:42

• teclcmu

Joined Travelfish
    22nd October, 2008

Check out the Chiang Mai University TEFL. It's online or on campus. Great reputation and university accredited course. In addition, Chiang Mai is a great city to live in.

Good Luck

#6 Posted: 31/10/2008 - 15:58

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

Little bit of spam there!

#7 Posted: 1/11/2008 - 07:55

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Maybe. However the course at Chiang Mai university is a good one though of course there are a number of TEFL courses which are university accredited. Also CELTA and DELTA carry a bit more weight with some people, (generally those who have no idea what they are talking about.)

Just a word of advice - NEVER do a TEFL course on line. I categorically refused to hire any staff who had done an on line course. How can you learn to teach via the internet?

By the way, doing an online Masters or higher degree once you have taught for some time is a totally different kettle of fish.

#8 Posted: 1/11/2008 - 08:03

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

I was in the same situation as you. I wanted to travel forever through Asia after going once.

It doesn't have to be a career move, it's a great way to take a break from the daily grind.

I considered Thailand or Korea. Thailand for its stunnning beauty and Korea because of the pay. In the end I chose Korea. I flew in from Vietnam and have been here for a year now. When my contract ends next month I am going back to SE Asia to hang out in Cambodia and Laos for a few months.

But let me just say, I have had a great time here in Korea. It's usually just passed over by tourists, but I really do love it here. My pay is great, especially considering the 3% tax rate, the free apartment and free flights. Saved at least 15 grand here and lived like a king doing it. Not to mention the sexy girls who like white studs ;-)

I had no experience when I came and never took any TEFL courses. But if you get a good one you could teach anywhere in the world. The Chiang Mai one does look excellent but I don't have an extra $1,500 in my wallet.

My advice for you is to go for it. Even if you choose Thailand and get 30,000 baht a month, you'll be living like a king and having a blast in the process.

#9 Posted: 1/11/2008 - 12:26

• alisonmilli-
    ken

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2006
    Total reviews: 2

seems like many people come to Thailand as TEFL teachers and are just there for the good times. You do have good times... but I noticed these posts are hardly mentioning the STUDENTS. They pay a hefty chunk of money in order to learn English... and unforetunately a lot of 'teachers' don't take it seriously.
    It is not easy to get up in front of a class of students (whether kids or adults) and it takes much more experience and training than you can get in a TEFEL course... planning lessons and behaviour management and organisation can't be taight in a few weeks. Teaching is a profession (I am a qualified teacher... have taught in Thailand at both language schools and International Schools) and the kids (and their parents who are paying you) deserve people with experience and qualifications not just someone who has most of theie mind at the beach or at the bar. Take it seriously and both the kids and you will learn a lot...

#10 Posted: 12/11/2008 - 15:22

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.