Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Koh Jum oct 08 with kids

• Tissi

Joined Travelfish
    3rd October, 2008

hi e'body
    we r planning to go to koh jum on oct 19. any good ideas how to get to koh jum lodge from krabi airport, or what is the cheapest way?
    also, anything special to care about because we r travelling with 2 kids [5 and 1 yrs]. any sandflies etc?
    how long to get to Jum village from Golden Pearl Beach by feet?
    any special suggestion when being on koh jum? except hanging out....
    TIA
    tissi & beuger

#1 Posted: 3/10/2008 - 20:45

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Depends what part of Golden Pearl you are on, but roughly an hour. Theres a pretty good map here - http://www.kohjumonline.com/maps.html

I think there may be access info on that site, but if not, this is from my Jum page:
    ...In wet season the ferries stop but you can get onto Jum using the small local longtails and ferries from the mainland leaving from Laem Kruat. This is at the end of route 4036 which branches off the main highway 4.
    Actually SUERAL says the latter is not a bad way in dry season because it is a heap cheaper than the ferry:
    "Catch a songthaew from the roundabout in krabi near the thai hotel to nua klong, there is another waiting to go to laem kruat where the boat is leaving.
    It leaves somewhat by 14.00 everyday depending on the weather, people etc. It is actually going through the mangroves on the back of the island, so it is a short trip with a nice view but don't forget to bring earplugs."...(with 4 people you would not have to wait for a regular longtail, you could charter one).

Going back into Krabi from the airport (which is the opposite direction to Jum) would be time consuming - with 4 of you a cab from the fixed price counter at the airport to Laem Kraut would be the go and probably would not be too dear.
    A small point - a recent post on another forum said the Lanta ferries started early this year on Oct 4 - but did not make clear if this was Krabi Lanta or Phi Phi - Lanta. The former is the one for Jum.

#2 Posted: 8/10/2008 - 18:56

• Tissi

Joined Travelfish
    3rd October, 2008

Hi Tezza,

thank you for your answer. I have some more questions:
    Do you have any idea how long the longtail needs from laem kruat to koh jum pier? Meanwhile I have already booked a minivan from krabi airport to leam kruat pier. You are right, going to Krabi to see if the ferry already started is to exhausting with two kids. From leam kruat to koh jum we'll take the joint longtail or charter one. But at koh jum pier we have to look after a three wheel drive. What kind of three wheel drive we have to expect? A tuk tuk? I don't think so....Just to know: Do you know how long it takes from KJ pier to Golden Pearl Beach by 'tuk tuk'?
    P.S. Your blog is great!
    TIA, TC

#3 Posted: 9/10/2008 - 02:03

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Tissi, I haven't done the longtail trip, but I just measured it on Google Earth and it was around 15km. That suggests about half and hour once in the boat, give or take.

I can't remember seeing any 3-wheelers on Jum, but I tend to cycle around with too much blood in my alchohol stream, so who knows? Thing is the 3-wheelers on nearby Lanta are more motorcycle side-cars than traditional tuk-tuks.

Once again it depends on where you stay on Pearl, but even to the north end it can't be more than 10-15 minutes from Jum village pier in a powered vehicle.

Have a nice trip and if you have time, could you give us some feedback? I'd really like to know the details of the longtail trip you are asking.

#4 Posted: 9/10/2008 - 14:21

• Tissi

Joined Travelfish
    3rd October, 2008

Hi Tezza,

thanks again for replying!
    Our journey starts on sunday and some days later we will know how to 'travel' on koh jum. I see us walking on the dirty road, two kids in one stroller and their parents struggling under hot sun....
    Don't worry if we survive this adventure
    you will get a feedback from us.
    TC

#5 Posted: 9/10/2008 - 17:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.