Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Place to crash in Bangkok

• waveandsea

Joined Travelfish
    3rd October, 2008

Hi there all! I will be touring Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam for the firs time in November-December. I am planing to visit few best places in each country. I am coming to the Bangkok first, so could please somebody recomend me some nice but not expensive place to stay in Bangkok? Just for info. Thanks!!!

#1 Posted: 3/10/2008 - 21:42

• Advertisement

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

What does "not expensive" mean to you? For me it is a place under $25 US, for someone who just came from touring Japan it could be any place under $100 US!

Do you have a baht value for your hotel expenses?

If you are really young then you might want to check out a place in the Khao San Road area. If you are slightly more mature you might want to get a place in the Siam or Sukhumvit Road area so you can take advantage of the Skytrain service.

Links to some hotels in many price ranges.

http://www.thaiwebsites.com/hotels-sukhumvit-bangkok.asp

http://www.sawadee.com/hotels/bangkok.html

http://www.sawasdee-hotels.com/

http://www.travelfish.org/map_detail/thailand/bangkok_and_surrounds/bangkok/sukhumvit_soi_1_to_asok/8

Have a nice visit.

#2 Posted: 4/10/2008 - 02:26

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I can think of two places that would provide a "soft landing" for first timers into Bangkok.

1) KT Guest House
    2) Reno

Both are mid-range (in the B600-B850 range.)

KT is in a quieter area, it's less expensive, and has better rooms than the Reno. But the Reno is very good and is much more convenient for transport.

You can find KT Guest House by searching the net ("KT Guest House Bangkok"), and their site will show you what the place is like. You can make reservations by e-mail. I'm not so sure that you can do this with Reno.

The Royal Hotel is more of a grander place that is walking distance to most of the major sites along the Chao Phraya River. And, despite the name, it's a mid-range place as well. I've only stayed there once and it was quite nice. Traffic around that place can be crazy, though. Still, it's great to be so close to the river, Royal Palace, Wat Pho, Temple of the Emerald Buddha, flower market, etc.

#3 Posted: 4/10/2008 - 03:30

• nedz

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2008
    Total reviews: 2

Reccomending, heading to Kao san way. Can bus or taxi x airport. Bus really easy ,drop off near Kao san. stay in Temple soi area. Soi Rambuttri. Laneways between Khao san and the river. Heaps of rooms to choose from. All night and day, unless high season or weekend. Other tourist areas in Bkk are more set up for...the bar bar go go scene. Cheap regular mini buses back to the airport available at travel agents on the soi.
    Some rooms very cheap, share bathroom.
    Air con usually own bathroom worth the extra $.
    Good luck, watch your step. Nedzx

#4 Posted: 5/10/2008 - 12:01

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Where ever you stay, ask to see the room first and try to get a cheaper price just by asking. Some places will discount if you stay a few nights or more. Also try asking for cheaper price if you DONT HAVE BREAKFAST. (which is usally a shit fired breakfast anyway in the cheaper places), much better to go out and eat on the street.

good luck.

#5 Posted: 5/10/2008 - 15:49

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Bangkok Airways Crash ... By somtam2000 on 4 Aug 2009 7 1849 4 Aug 2009