Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Current ATM Exchange Rate

• LancasterLad

Joined Travelfish
    13th September, 2006

Grateful if someone could tell me what ATMs are currently giving for sterling. Will I be alright to turn up at BKK airport without any bahts, and use my an airport ATM once I've got through immigration?

Thanks

LL

#1 Posted: 5/10/2008 - 19:04

• Advertisement

• apsetours

Joined Travelfish
    1st September, 2008

quite a number of ATM situated throughout the airport, actually once after the immimgration there also a few at the luggage carousel. enjoy your stay in thailand -APSE Travel

#2 Posted: 5/10/2008 - 21:15

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

You almost always get your best rate after you arrive at the airport in Bangkok. There are banks and ATM's to change your money over 24 hours a day. When you go home there are places to change your baht back over to your currency near the check in counters.

Thailand uses real banks not private money changers. The rate is set daily. Most of the banks in town will have about the same rate for the SAME day, even the banks at the airport. The rate you see today will change the following day, either up or down but not by much.
    http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank/Personal+Banking/Foreign+Exchange/Default.htm

Lots and lots of banks and mini banks all over the place to change your money over. Travelers checks work too, only bring the largest denomination you can get. Some banks and credit unions sell them free of commission - a good deal! Slightly higher return for a travelers checks put off by a 33 baht cashing fee.

Make sure you tell your bank that you will be overseas if you intend to use a debit or credit card. Otherwise your ATM withdrawal may be denied because of suspected fraud. Some credit cards have big fees for ATM use and some banks and credit unions pay ATM fees, even over seas. My credit union sells travelers checks for free and pays my ATM charges even when overseas.

OK

#3 Posted: 6/10/2008 - 00:00

• mic59

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2008
    Total reviews: 5

My credit union sells travelers checks for free and pays my ATM charges even when overseas.

Which one is this? The best deal I could get was a debit card with no ATM charges or fees IF i deposited $5000pm. As my holiday covers 2 months I could make a deposit to cover the first month but then incur the charges in the second month.

#4 Posted: 6/10/2008 - 07:03

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

As above - ATMs everywhere no problem at the airport either.
    The rate changes daily - pound is very poor at present expect 58 to 61 baht.
    You need to find out what FEES your bank will charge.
    and let me re-iterate - TELL YOUR BANK you are going abroad.
    you always get better rates of exchange here in Thailand than at "home"
    TT's - I use only as a back-up.

#5 Posted: 6/10/2008 - 10:05

• mic59

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2008
    Total reviews: 5

Adding to my possibly confusing post; the first line was pasted from sir halberd's post, I don't have a CU that takes no fees or forex charges.

#6 Posted: 6/10/2008 - 17:04

• tails101

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2006
    Location United Kingdom

Difficult question to answer without knowing which bank you are with as the rate depends on your home bank...

If it is the Nationwide you will get the bank to bank rate without any deductions and no withdrawal fee providing you use a debit card.

However most other banks will charge a percentage fee - usually between 1.75-3% of the bank rate - which is then added to the cost of the withdrawal. Also, most other banks charge a cash withdrawal fee.

For reference the bank rate today is approx 60.635.

Cheers
    Mark.

#7 Posted: 6/10/2008 - 19:28

• LancasterLad

Joined Travelfish
    13th September, 2006

Thanks everyone. All good stuff.

I went into my local Post Office the other day and they were offering £ = 54baht, and Thos Cook were offering a miserly 51.
    I'll be using my Nationwide debit card, so there are nil charges.

#8 Posted: 7/10/2008 - 01:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
exchange rate ... By mick110971 on 15 May 2007 3 1816 15 May 2007