Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bangkok hotel and area recommendations please

• PT109

Joined Travelfish
    8th October, 2008

Hi, we're two adults and two young children going to be in Bangkojk for the first time. We'll just be in transit for two days looking for somewhere easy to reach, safe and with good facilities so we can recover from our flight. We had thought of splashing out on a luxury hotel although many will be booked full on the New Year's period. Any recommendations on hotels or areas appreciated.

#1 Posted: 8/10/2008 - 03:08

• Advertisement

• Gorey

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3

id say pretty much anywhere along the SkyTrain route, my family tend to stay in the Asia hotel at Ratchathewi. Its not very expensive and cant imagine it would be full over new years but im sure theres a chance. The skytrain is literally attached to the second floor so getting around is very easy from there and easy to get back to which is important, if i remember over the road during the evening are some nice outdoors restaurent/cafes. And if you want to walk Siam square area isnt very far, but with kids you'd jsut hop on the train the one stop.

#2 Posted: 8/10/2008 - 20:34

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I think that the KT Guest House is great for that sort of thing.

#3 Posted: 8/10/2008 - 23:39

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Agree with Tilapia that KT Guest House is a great choice. The swimming pool and in-house restaurant more than make up for the out-of-the-way location. I'd say it's a great place to just hole up for a transit stay, and a reasonably short taxi ride from some of the destinations mentioned by Gorey too.

The last I checked it wasn't listed on Travelfish, but KT Guesthouse does have its own website and you should be able to book ahead, which is a good idea if you'll be there over the holiday.

By the way, I used to live just around the corner from KT back in 1985. The neighborhood hasn't changed all that much since then either. There are plenty of 7-11's and a pretty authentic Thai-style market nearby, but other than that you'll most likely want a taxi to go anywhere. Cheers.

#4 Posted: 9/10/2008 - 01:33

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

Another opinion.
    For simplicity use the Asia Hotel,you intended to splurge on a luxury place for a few days anyway. The Asia is probably half way between a luxury price hotel and KT GH. The Asia is right on a Skytrain stop. You can use the Skytrain to get around the city cheap and easy. Short walk to shopping on Phetchaburi Road where you will find street vendors, Seven Elevens, malls, small shops, a computer mall (Panthip,) mini garment center near the Baiyoke Tower Hotel and restaurants. You will find McDonalds, KFC's and similar fast food places in many areas of Bangkok and on Phetchaburi Road. The Asia Hotel is in a mostly "no bar" area.

http://www.asiahotel.co.th/asia_bangkok.htm

With tourism down a little your possibilities of finding a vacancies is a little greater than what is normal for high season.

Hal

#5 Posted: 9/10/2008 - 08:58

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

For your first time in Bangkok (and Thailand?) you might be better off staying in the most touristy area where your not going to be alone.

Sukhumvit Road or Silom would be my choice but Kho San Road is good for newbies. (but after that its not!)

I could recommend a few places but there are many great hotels in these areas so you should pick an area and then check out the hotels online.

Ant.

#6 Posted: 9/10/2008 - 15:11

• chaosclaire

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2008

We've just checked into Navalai River Resort (45/1-2 Phra Athit Road) and we're very impressed.
    It's 1600B per night, brand new, clean, friendly, and they let us check in at 9am(!). It has a swimming pool on the roof and a lovely riverside restaurant. I think you can choose one or two big beds if you have a standard room.
    It's near the Khao San but not too near (5 mins walk - the craziness is just far away enough!)
    Rooms come with free WiFi and DVD player, ideal for flight recovery I think...
    Like I said, we just checked in this morning and we're very impressed already - not the cheapest or most expensive but good value for money.
    I think there's a new Ibis right near the airport too... but not much to do in the airport area.
    Cheers - Claire

#7 Posted: 28/10/2008 - 17:36

• LancasterLad

Joined Travelfish
    13th September, 2006

Agree with #7.
    We stayed in the Navalai on arrival in BKK for 2 nights. It's right on the river by Pier 13.
    We had a river facing room, with big balcony. Fill your face buffet breakfast was superb. You could eat it on the terrace outside watching the world go by on the river
    Our room was big and very clean.
    The only negative point was that the roof-top deck and pool was under repair, and so out of bounds.

Peter
    The hotel is only a couple of minutes from the tourist area.
    The cost was 2,000 bahts a night inc breakfast,and as Claire states above there are less expensive rooms, but without the superb river view.

#8 Posted: 31/10/2008 - 12:05

• LancasterLad

Joined Travelfish
    13th September, 2006

Anyone taking young children to BKK might consider spending a few hours in Lumphini Park. Full of open spaces, play grounds, boating lakes., and lots of locals doing their early morning exercises. Plenty of animals to see as well, especially the Malayan Monitor Lizards who roam around in or near the lakes. Easiest way to get there if you are staying near the river is to get a regular ferry to the Central Pier (15 bahts), and then the Skytrain to Silom (25 bahts). Lumphini Park is free.

#9 Posted: 31/10/2008 - 16:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Midrange Hotel Options in Rattanakosin area of Bangkok ... By scomoore1 on 28 Jun 2008 1 1856 1 Jul 2008