Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

New Years in Southern Thailand.

• Prototype

Joined Travelfish
    26th August, 2008

G'day all, I hope life finds you all well.

Me and 3 or 4 mates are heading to Phuket on the 22nd of December, and staying on the mainland until the 26th when another friend arrives and we will be heading to an island for New Years festivities. The rest of the crew will be leaving on the 5th of January, bar me and one other friend who plan on heading North for 6 weeks.

I have a couple of basic questions for you lovely people.

1) We'll more than likely stay in Patong on arrival to Phuket. Is it necessary to book hotel/hostels? Or would winging it be possible at this time of year? We would like to stay within walking distance of the beach, clubs, markets etcetc.

2) After the other friend arrives on the 26th, we'll be heading off to an island. What island would you recommend for a bunch of 23 yr old party animals who also enjoy time alone to relax. And would said island be necessary to book, or again is winging it alright.

Thank you for your time and effort, I eagerly await your repsonse.

Yours in losing ones self,

JEZ.

#1 Posted: 9/10/2008 - 07:54

• Advertisement

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Hi,

1. I would book ahead to get the place you want (or near) because in the peek season it will be busy in Patong.

2. For a bunch of party animals in your early 20's I would recommend kho Pang Nang but its a bit of a mission from Phuket. You would have to get the bus to Suratthani and then catch the ferry from there. Even when there isn't a full moon party there is always lots of other partys on this island.

Apart from there, you could go anywhere around the south. Bear in mind that Phuket is an Island and Samui isn't that different (smaller) but maybe kho phai phai. (off krabi)

Hope i have helped abit.
    :)

#2 Posted: 9/10/2008 - 15:04

• Prototype

Joined Travelfish
    26th August, 2008

Well you helped as much as to let me know Phuket is an island! Haha! Wow, I totally thought it was just the south of the mainland. *slaps forehead*

I've heard Kho Pang Nang is quite dirty and seedy, and a few of my mates would like to steer clear of there. Or maybe just got there for NYE evening.

Is it easy to travel between islands? As in, are there ferry services?

Thank you for your help :D

#3 Posted: 9/10/2008 - 15:44

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

If you wanted to stay closish to Phuket without crossing over to the other coast, Ko Phi Phi could be what you're after. It has a lively bar scene and the beaches aren't half bad, but in Dec/Jan it will be packed to the absolute rafters -- depending on how flexible you are with your accommodation needs, a reservation could be a good idea... There's multiple ferries daily between Phuket and PP.

#4 Posted: 10/10/2008 - 07:22

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Phi Phi certainly is the go close to Phuket for party animals - but if you are close to the parties in town it is a bit hard to find a place for time alone in which to relax. Perhaps you could check TRAVELFISH for Viking and Ao Poh - which have reasonable access to town but are on their own nice little beaches.

One more ferry stop away from Phi Phi is Lanta - Long Beach, the second from the ferry has a combination of lively places and laid back - and it's not too far to the first beach and into Ban Sala Dan for more bars/restaurants.

That time of year I would be trying to book beforehand particularly for a group of people.

#5 Posted: 10/10/2008 - 17:07

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

"I've heard Kho Pang Nang is quite dirty and seedy, and a few of my mates would like to steer clear of there. Or maybe just got there for NYE evening."

Hi, its not seedy at all mate. Not in the way pattaya or patong in phuket is anyway. If you want to avoid the dirty/seedy places patong might not be the best place to go! lol. Altho i think you will like it when you are there if your up for the bars and clubs. Just don't let these tourist areas make up your mind on Thailand as they are more like Spain than Thailand (IMHO)

Anyway, have a great time!
    Ant.

:)

#6 Posted: 11/10/2008 - 15:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.