Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand during peak-peak for ultra-runner/yogini couple...need guidance

• 4erica

Joined Travelfish
    20th October, 2008

Hi all
    I am really impressed with the information that is available here. I have already done a lot of reading on Thai Islands during the peak travel season...and Im feeling a bit anxious.

My boyfriend and I booked our tickets to BKK from mid-December through to mid-January and we just need some help sorting out our trip.

We dont drink and are more into active pursuits, massage, vipassana meditation, swimming, sunning, and some people watching. We are not into the 20-something party scene. Friends have recommended Ko Wai and Raleigh Bay and the yoga on Ko Samui...are we heading in the right direction if we follow these suggestions?

During this peak time, should we try to book accomodations for the entire month? We are also interested in some inland travel to temples and perhaps some trekking but we envisioned most of our time to be on the beaches - just relaxing.

Any advice you have would be really great.
    Thanks a lot!
    Erica

#1 Posted: 20/10/2008 - 08:24

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Erica,

Don't feel anxious. It will negatively effect your time there. The last thing you want is to feel like you have to hurry somewhere.

Regarding Koh Wai ... it is a lovely spot with a great beach, decent bungalows and some great snorkeling. The food was always really nice, as well. BUT, I found that the day traffic from Koh Chang was WAY too much. Boats pull up to the pier each day and dozens of package tourists invade the beach during the best part of the day. For this reason alone I don't recommend the place. Also, because of the location of the places on the island, you'll get no sunsets or sunrises. This is just my opinion. Some people aren't bothered by the throngs from Koh Chang, but I certainly did mind, especially when they come and sit on your bungalow balcony to have photos taken.

Otherwise, lovely spot.

Personally, I'd try Koh Mak (beside Koh Wai), Koh Jum, or Koh Si Boya (both not too far from Krabi and Koh Phi Phi.)

#2 Posted: 21/10/2008 - 00:37

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

Well don't come all the way to Thailand just to plunk yourself down on some beach! Jeez, you can probably find beaches in your own country and save the plane fare!

See some of the other areas of Thailand. Safe sun time at a beach is only an hour or so, why cook your face so much that when that when ten years pass your face will look 20 years older than the rest of your body?

Visit Northern Thailand, go to Chiang Mai or some other areas so you can see what makes Thailand unique! Beaches are everywhere in the world - ride some elephants, visit some temples, see some of the wonderful natural resources, take some tours and get out and absorb some culture - don simply fry yourself only at beach locations!

Don't bypass Bangkok! Too many tourists are so hot to hit the beaches that they want to skip Bangkok! See the city a little bit, take some local tours - you don't have to drink to have fun!

There are two airports that serve Bangkok, if you intend to fly somewhere right after landing at Suvarnabhumi make sure you know where your plane departs from. Don Muang is on the other side of the city. Allow sufficient time for transfers.

Besides Northern Thailand you could also visit a second country while you are in that part of the world. The price for airfare is pretty reasonable compared to Europe or America. You can lose yourself in Laos or Cambodia for a week or two.

All of that part of the world is warm, you do not have to be at a beach to get a suntan! You can even get a tan in Chiang Mai or Luang Prabang for that matter!

In Thailand travel agencies are where you can go to get tours. Tour company picks you up at your hotel and returns you there at the end of the trip. Lots of things you can visit like temples, national parks, hill tribes and other places like the "Bridge on the River Kwai" area.

Spend your last night in Bangkok before your flight home and you will not have to worry about any connecting flights breaking down and you miss your ride home. This would also give you a final night for an evening dinner cruise and some last minute shopping.

Good luck.

Good luck.

#3 Posted: 21/10/2008 - 08:51

• 4erica

Joined Travelfish
    20th October, 2008

Thanks Tilapia, really helpful. Good information sirhalberd, a bit suprised that you assumed I would "simply fry yourself only at beach locations!". Nowhere in my post did I imply that we were planning on sunbathing for our entire trip. Rather I said we were quite active and would like to do things - including Buddhist meditation and physical activities.

We are in Thailand for a bit over a month and it does seem that folks are recommending beaches to us. However, we also plan to go north and have considered visiting Cambodia. We will be spending a couple days on either end of our trip in Bangkok. I will take your advice into account.

#4 Posted: 21/10/2008 - 09:04

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

Okay! From your original post:

".............we envisioned most of our time to be on the beaches - just relaxing."

Glad to see you will visit other places besides beaches!

Have a nice trip.

#5 Posted: 21/10/2008 - 09:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Best Island at Peak ... By jenkellyxx on 23 Oct 2007 0 1076 23 Oct 2007
PEAK SEASON!!! ... By Miss_Lucy on 22 Aug 2006 16 2409 5 Sep 2006
Travel logistics & which peak(s) to climb? ... By dfreem1 on 13 Aug 2014 2 201 14 Aug 2014
Peak season worries on the Thai islands ... By somtam2000 on 25 Sep 2007 22 29357 5 Jan 2009
Krabi rooms on the cheap in peak season - recommendations ... By violetfriday on 24 Aug 2012 3 1610 24 Aug 2012
Climbing Mt. Kinabalu via Ferrata (Low Peak Circuit) - Mar 7-8, 2014 and looking for a travel buddy ... By steventanhl on 5 Jan 2014 0 839 5 Jan 2014