Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

East coast or West coast thailand?

• steffanmath-
    ias

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2008

I have about a week for some beach time in thailand - as far as i can see Ko Pha Ngan and Ko Samui are pleasant and fun, where as the other side - Ko phi phi, Krabi etc seem more idyllic and pretty - in my mind the west coast is the obvious choice, but i feel like i'm missing something. I'd like to do some relaxing and a little partying, and i'm not really into diving, though wouldn't mind some light snorkelling Can anyone offer any advice? For instance, is either side alot more expensive/a bit of a cattle market? Any particular favorites on beaches?
    Also, i'll be there in feb/march

x

#1 Posted: 20/10/2008 - 16:45

• Advertisement

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Hi, I think you just got to pick one and go there. Then next year go to the other side. :)

I love the area around krabi, but also have had great times on Samui/Phangag.

Can't really help you pick a side. krabi is cool tho.

Karbi. :)

#2 Posted: 22/10/2008 - 16:49

• mic59

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2008
    Total reviews: 5

Going by the weather(and I always try to) the east side is probably your best bet in Feb/March. But there's not much difference in the weather patterns, the east coast's only slightly better. As for prices, well the Andaman Coast is more expensive than Chanthaburi and Trat province in the east but for a week it hardly matters.If I was staying 6 weeks the difference between $8 per night and $20 per night would matter. You can still find $8 per night places on the east coast but they're in the minority.
    But to give you an option, when I was at Koh Chang it was good for relaxing and had clear snorkelling waters. At the time the partying was only just picking up but that was eleven years ago. Hopefully it won't have been over-developed as it is a marine national park.

#3 Posted: 22/10/2008 - 18:49

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I answere this for steffan on another forum. For others interested in the question:

Wow, difficult question.
    I'm a bit of an island nerd, but I like both sides equally. I also rate the eastern Gulf - Ko Samet, Big Chang, Whai, Mak and Kut as equal.

The west (Andaman coast) does give you more choice than the southern Gulf, but you could spend a month just travelling around Phangan and neighbouring Tao, moving on to a new beach every now and then, and not get bored. Neighbouring Sami is pretty commercial these days, not particularly idyllic.

The beach areas of Krabi and Phi Phi are certainly more spectacular landscape/seascape wise (note none of the other islands is unattractive) but they do attract lots of people these days, even in March, so they aint too idyllic - except for the east coast of Phi Phi.

Perhaps you could go to the WHICH BEACH OR ISLAND page in the link below and check the LAID BACK and WAY LAID BACK sections to see if any places catch your fancy. I have pages on all the islands mentioned there and on this thread with a fair bit more info which may help you.

#4 Posted: 25/10/2008 - 17:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Road trip USA - East coast to West coast ... By svinoth03 on 12 Sep 2012 0 783 12 Sep 2012
East Coast to West Coast! ... By Glome on 5 Nov 2011 2 1915 6 Nov 2011
East coast vs. West coast? ... By olsons on 20 Aug 2007 2 4294 27 Aug 2007
East or west coast this time of year? ... By sallymaher on 30 Oct 2007 6 3076 1 Nov 2007
Southern Coast of Cambodia West to East ... By bumbly on 16 Feb 2011 3 3961 21 Feb 2011
Where to spend new year on West Coast of Thailand ... By alau81 on 12 Oct 2009 4 2268 13 Oct 2009
Thailand west coast islands - July/August sunshine? ... By VickyWebb on 13 Jul 2009 5 11122 13 Jul 2009
First Time in Thailand - East Coast ... By KidCat on 11 May 2012 6 1511 15 May 2012
South Thailand to East Coast Malaysia - any other ideas? ... By goodquestion on 28 Mar 2008 0 2093 28 Mar 2008
West Coast Samui ... By travelrock on 14 Jan 2009 2 1812 14 Jan 2009