Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Ubon Ratchthani to Trat overland

• TheSnowQueen

Joined Travelfish
    16th October, 2006

I'm interested in travelling overland from Ubon Ratchathani to Trat, preferably avoiding Bangkok and, instead, by road or rail, cutting East and perhaps staying close to Cambodian border or stopping off to see Khao Yai National Park. Has anyone done this journey or know how easy it is to travel this route? Planning to do this sometime in January and would be very grateful for any info or intelligence (especially as there have been problems recently between Thai and Cambodians near border (Preahar Vihear).Many thanks.

#1 Posted: 27/10/2008 - 03:22

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Could get train to Nakhon Ratchasima (Khorat) then bus south via Chanthaburi to Trat -- that's about the fastest way I think.

#2 Posted: 27/10/2008 - 08:44

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I went to Chanthaburi from Prachinburi a few years back. The main terminal was in Sa Kaew and the bus took highway 319 which hugs the Cambodian border. It was a really nice, really slow trip.

I also found out recently that there is now a direct bus to Chanthaburi from Aranyaprathet. If you can get to Aran, you'll be able to get to Chanthaburi on this same highway without having to do much backtracking or wandering around.

If you have time and want to just putter from place to place, you can get there through a combination of buses or songthaews out of Si Saket, Surin, Buriram, Aran, Sa Kaew, Prakhon Chai, Ban Kruat, and Khorat.

Somtam's suggestion is the most direct. I think that the best thing about this route besides speed is the option of making a sidetrip to Phimai.

Buriram - Prakhan Chai and Ban Kruat give you the option of checking out Prasat Phanom Rung.

#3 Posted: 28/10/2008 - 02:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.