Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Visa...

• MarkHall

Joined Travelfish
    14th August, 2008

Me and my girlfriend are flying in to bangkok on 15th November and will be staying for around 2 weeks and then returning from Cambodia a couple of month later to stay for another month.

What is the best way to obtain the correct visa??

Thanks,

Mark

#1 Posted: 27/10/2008 - 21:36

• Advertisement

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Hi, You should get a visa on arrival at the airport. last time i checked you got 30 days so should be fine for your 2 weeks. Then if you return to stay in Thailand for another month you get another visa on arrival.

If you over stay your visa by a couple of days you will have to pay a fine when leaving. I wouldn't recommend overstaying your visa tho.

Ant.

#2 Posted: 27/10/2008 - 22:23

• MarkHall

Joined Travelfish
    14th August, 2008

Do you need to have proof of departure as we are not flying out of thiland either time.

Great photos by the way!!

#3 Posted: 27/10/2008 - 22:29

• buzby

Joined Travelfish
    27th October, 2008

Tricky situation...

You may have problems boarding your flight to Thailand without a valid visa or proof of onward travel (flight booking) within 30 days. The airline is responsible if you are refused entry so best to check with your airline to see if they will actually let you board the flight.

#4 Posted: 27/10/2008 - 22:50

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom

Hi, I have never had to show my proof of onward travel.
    I have been in and out of Thailand many times.

Sorry to disagree but,
    I really dont think you would have any trouble without a visa because you get one at the airport. No one I know has every had a problem.

Ant.

#5 Posted: 28/10/2008 - 16:28

• buzby

Joined Travelfish
    27th October, 2008

Check this previous thread. Seems some airlines will enforce the rules.

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/visabordercrossings/4554_Thai-exit-proof---land-sea-or-air---Tourist-visa-exemption---30-days-/0

Here are the rules from the Thai consulate.

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/pdfs/A%20%20Visas%20Changes%2001%20Oct%202006.pdf

I guess the rules are not STRICTLY enforced.

#6 Posted: 29/10/2008 - 11:34

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom

Hi, Themz is the rulez. I guess to be 100% safe you could get a visa in advamce from your local embassy.

:)

#7 Posted: 30/10/2008 - 15:32

• buzby

Joined Travelfish
    27th October, 2008

In response to Markhall's original post.

IF the airline are not going to let you board, and you want to be 100% safe, you have 2 options as I see it.

1. Obtain a double entry tourist visa from your local Embassy/Consulate. Each entry will give you 60 days plus the option of extending each entry by a further 30 days once inside Thailand. The problem with this is the Visa may only be valid for 3 months from date of issue so would need to obtain it close to your departure date (you say you will spend 2 weeks in Thailand then a couple of months in Cambodia so you have a couple of weeks to play with). I have heard some consulates will give a longer validity of the visa upon request. That would be the ideal scenario for you.

2. You could get a single entry tourist visa and then obtain another single entry tourist visa in Phnom Penh.

Hope that helps
    All the best and good luck :)

#8 Posted: 30/10/2008 - 18:46

• buzby

Joined Travelfish
    27th October, 2008

Sorry Mark.. Just had a brainwave...

Totally forgot that you can also get a re-entry permit from immigration on the way out.

This keeps the current permission to stay alive. As long as you re-enter BEFORE the visa expires (3 months from date of issue for a single entry) you can come back in for the rest of the days left on the visa.

If you get your timings right you should be ok with a single entry tourist visa.

Cost of re-entry permit is 1000 Baht

Hope that makes sense.
    Cheers :)

#9 Posted: 30/10/2008 - 20:23

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom

OR you could not pay anything and just turn up at the airport and get a 30 day visa on arrival like everyone I know does, and i have done about 20 times or more in the last few years.

Hope that clears it up for you Mark and thanks for checking out my photos!

:)

#10 Posted: 31/10/2008 - 00:46

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.