Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

How to travel to Ko Adang

• brigittahor-
    vath

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2008

Hi guys,

Does anyone know how to get to Ko Adang from phuket or Koh Phi pHi or from around that area. I have been searching the net but did not find any straight forward solutions as how to get there.
    Please help!

Many thanks in advance.
    Brigitta

#1 Posted: 29/10/2008 - 19:30

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Brigitta,

Ko Adang is opposite Ko Lipe -- both of which are reached from Pakbara on the mainland in Satun province.

In high season, you may also be able to get one of the island-hopping speedboats that run from Ko Lanta south, but last I heard, these services only run every other day.

Otherwise, you need to travel by land to Satun and then get the boat to Lipe/Adang.

#2 Posted: 30/10/2008 - 14:17

• brigittahor-
    vath

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2008

Somtam,

Thanks for the advice.

So it takes about 8hrs from Phuket, realisticaly to get to Pakbara by bus?
    Is it easy to find accommodation once we get to Ko Adang (as I know we can only stay at the Parks guest houses) or we need to book in advance?
    YOu have mentioned that island hopping boats might stop there. Where would these boats leave from? Anywhere around Phuket? Is there a way I can find out in advance if they will operate in February?

Thanks again.

#3 Posted: 30/10/2008 - 15:42

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Brigitta, the Tigerline ferry service starts at Phi Phi and island hops down to Lipe which is only a couple of Km from Adang.
    When most ferries arrive at Lipe, longtail boats come out to shuttle people to shore (there is no pier) - and often there is a longtail for Adang too. If not, it should not cost too much to charter one the short distance.

Tigerline also run a service from Phuket (and Krabi) - but here they load you into a minibus and take you all the way down to the Hat Yao pier south-west of Trang, where the PP-Lipe ferries call.
    tigerline begins operation on Nov 24.

SPD speedboats also island hop from Lanta to Lipe. I have sublinks to both Tigerline and SPD timetables on my Lipe page in the first link below. There is also a sublink to the ferries and speedboats out of Pak Bara.

Phuket to Pak Bara by bus would be about 8 hours. The quickest would be a Satun express service - make sure beforehand it calls in at La Ngu, hop off and catch a songthaew or motorcycle taxi the 10km or so to Pak Bara.

I'm not too sure about pressure on accommodation on Adang. I'm going in a few weeks hopefully, unbooked, but Nov is different from February. I've also noticed at other NP islands that weekends can get crowded with locals.

#4 Posted: 1/11/2008 - 17:58

• brigittahor-
    vath

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2008

Thanks very much Tezza, great help.
    I will book with Tigerline ferry services!

I cant wait ;-)

Thanks for all the advice!

#5 Posted: 3/11/2008 - 17:30

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Brigitte, a small point. Those longtail shuttles from ferry to shore are not free - pooh-online is presently quoting 50baht. Adang would be more, but it is only about 2km from the north coast of Lipe, so shouldn't be too much.

#6 Posted: 5/11/2008 - 12:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.