Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Refugee camps on Thai/Burma border

  • travelpj

    Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2008
    Posts: 1


    If anyone has any contacts of people working in the refugee camps I would be greatful in hearing from you. I am a photographer hoping to do a story on the issue.


    #1 Posted: 2/11/2008 - 11:09

  • Advertisement

  • Tilapia

    Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Posts: 1478
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

    A couple of NGO's do a lot of work in these areas, mostly helping Burmese refugees develop businesses, and get their goods to markets while avoiding the middlemen ... as well as the Burmese and Thai armies.

    Do some asking at the VSO and CUSO offices in Bangkok. You might be able to work something out that it beneficial to everyone involved.


    #2 Posted: 2/11/2008 - 22:58

  • somtam2000

    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Posts: 7371
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

    There's camps up and down the border, so there's a lot of access points. That said Mae Sot is the main "NGO-hub" for those working in the camps, though they're also accessible from Mae Sariang and Mae Hong Son in the north and as far south as Sangkhlaburi though I think the ones there are not accessible to the general public.

    #3 Posted: 3/11/2008 - 08:07

  • misskika007

    Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2008
    Posts: 2
    Total reviews: 2

    I worked up there for a bit. The refugee camps aren't open to the public and the only way into the camps is to pass a clearance and get a pass from an organization such as the UN, IRC, or the TBBC. There are plenty of Burmese living in that general region that would be happy to help you with your story. I would start in Mae Sot, specifically at the Baan Thai guesthouse. A lot of people working in the camps or at other organizations stay there and can help you make contact with people you may want to interview/photograph. I would get in touch with KHRG (Karen Human Rights Group) and the Mae Tao Clinic. Good luck.

    #4 Posted: 13/11/2008 - 01:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Hotel Deals of the Day
best price guarantee

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
was asked to pay fees at malaysian-thai border crossing (sadao) by thai immigration? ... By thebigjebowski on 29 Oct 2012 4 2560 4 Nov 2012