Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Wanting to find the Utopian life. Beer find for repliers;)

• BellsCinnam-
    on

Joined Travelfish
    3rd November, 2008

I'm landing in Thailand the first of May next year. This is the beginning of a long trip for me. First of all I'm doing my Dive master in KohTao, and I'll probably be finished around the end of August – 09.
    I might do a few sailing courses since I might try to get a job on a boat when I’m bankrupted. Besides that, I got no plans.
    Then my questions start: I’m thinking of exploring Asia, before I maybe go down to Australia or/ and South America. The whole idea with this is to stay abroad for two or three years, hopefully getting a job somewhere.
    Anyways, I’m thinking of two (self made) big trips, to see the best of southeast asia.

1: Thailand (Koh Tao), Malaysia, Indonesia, and the Philippines, then Thailand again.
    This one I’ll do as a little over the average Visa run, I might not even run. This trip is after three months in Thailand while doing the Dive master. I’ll leave at the end of July.

2: Thailand (Koh Tao), Laos, Vietnam, China, Napalm and India, flight to the second part of my around the world trip.
    This one is after I’m done in Thailand. Might be around September to December, hard to say. Will do sailing for a while, and then may be a teaching course and work as a teacher for a few months.

Ok, first of all, are these trips possible by land? Bus, train, boat, even bike?
    (Can I do that, rent a big, get a few friends, and just… no, I think I would need a big bike and I don’t do that jet.) Or running? IS IT POSSIBLE?

Second: How long will each of these trips take me, and will I be out of money and maybe out on the streets selling my body, after any of them, - you know, to survive?
    Know it’s possible to dive in Indonesia, Philippines, and places around there. It would be great if any of you knew about the probabilities of getting a job/work around any of these mentioned places, and as well, Australia, South America.
    I’m bringing some money with me, but I’m not sure where I would have to spend them, and where I could work for food and roof over my head?(Diving, sailing, teaching, and knitting, my skills) I’m thinking I should have most of them left when I leave Asia, might take a while getting settled in Australia or/and traveling through South America.

Last question. 11000 GBP, how long will that last me, considering I might get work/ some work in various places?

The repliers get beer when/if I see any of you guys out there. Lovely girl travelling on her own.

Thanx and fairwinds, (as my sailing coach sais)
    Annabelle

#1 Posted: 3/11/2008 - 18:26

• Advertisement

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

Are you cute?

#2 Posted: 3/11/2008 - 21:39

• BellsCinnam-
    on

Joined Travelfish
    3rd November, 2008

Eh, my mom things I'm cute, does that count?

I'm gorgeous, but that's got nothing to do with this . Need some answers.

#3 Posted: 3/11/2008 - 23:05

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Annabelle,

I think you'll really like Napalm! I had a gas there!

You can do all of the above by land (any way you want ... bike, bus, walk, taxi, truck, train) and boat. You can drop down into Nepal from Tibet and then continue on to India quite easily. You cannot go Thailand to India via Burma, unfortunately. You could go from Singapore to Sri Lanka or Madras, though, if you want to go in that direction.

Thailand ... you may find that weather is an issue in September-early November. It's pretty wet then. Check the weather map that's on this website. Sailing may be difficult then, and some of the islands have no transport to and from the mainland.

As for how long and how much, these are questions that can't be answered without knowing what kind of accommodation you expect, what you usually eat, and how much of a boozer you are. 11K GBP sounds like a pile of money to me and, theoretically, it could go a very, very long way. My so-called monthly budget is less than $750 CDN, and I live like a king (or, what I consider to be a king.) I could turn that kind of a budget into a 2-year trip, or much longer if I was working.

Good luck.

#4 Posted: 4/11/2008 - 00:39

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

"I think you'll really like Napalm! I had a gas there!"

Very good

#5 Posted: 4/11/2008 - 07:22

• BellsCinnam-
    on

Joined Travelfish
    3rd November, 2008

Tilapia

You say, walk, can I run instead? I'm the efficient type you see.
    Anyway, thank you for your answer, now I at least know it's possible, which I might have guessed, but I didn't give you enough info to answer me anyway else, did I?
    The weather is always an issue, but as a child of the rainiest city in the world, I'll manage I think. But I'm still hoping that I'll be possible to get a head through these countries careless of the weather.
    I don't eat or sleep much, but since I might owe a few of you some beers, I sure drink a lot, but as you already know, alcoholics go to meetings, I get drunk.
    And your 700 Canadian deniros would cover my DMT course fee.
    Yes, so when it's down to accommodation and food, I'm not picked at all. Insects like me a great deal, but as long as I sleep in my portable space suit I'll be fine.

But, to be serious, if the weather is really shitty, where do I go? The truth is that I actually wrote this so that one of two bright eyes would plan me a genius trip, so fare no luck, so I planned one myself. Hopefully I'll go to either Australia or a country down in south or Middle America for New Year, and I need a brilliant plan to make me last through October - December.

HEEEEEELP, I scream modestly,

Cheers mate, and thanks again

#6 Posted: 4/11/2008 - 16:25

• BellsCinnam-
    on

Joined Travelfish
    3rd November, 2008

it's really bad, and I know, but is seams so natural to write napalm instead, but hey, my bad.

#7 Posted: 4/11/2008 - 19:44

• lodesafun

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2006

utopia.. I sometimes find it on the coast of Cambodia.
    Sihanoukville. Chiva Shack.

#8 Posted: 2/12/2008 - 16:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
where to find divers? ... By alexrtw on 27 Oct 2011 2 1756 23 Dec 2011
need help to find an accommodation ... By lynclover on 26 Jan 2013 5 1625 7 Feb 2013
Need to find what to do in Nha Trang? ... By flamingosuites on 13 Sep 2008 6 2529 18 Oct 2008
Find a friend in Tam Ky ... By diemtrang on 24 Jun 2010 0 1184 24 Jun 2010
Let's find the Island ... By GBnuva on 4 Mar 2011 17 2822 23 Mar 2011
How to find a hostel? ... By travelbug777777 on 21 Apr 2014 6 976 22 Apr 2014
Where to find the 'best' snorkeling in January? ... By malotte on 27 Aug 2010 11 4027 30 Aug 2010
How to find a volunteering company ... By Liz001 on 10 Jan 2013 3 2221 23 May 2014
How to find travel companion ... By DebOnMission on 16 Jan 2012 0 2591 16 Jan 2012
How to find best Vietnam tour ... By nathanlee on 9 May 2011 6 5108 15 Jun 2011