Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

budget question (4 weeks thailand, X?)

• erzo

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2008

hey everybody!

I really like this site- so many useful informations! bookmarked it and will spread the good word :) A lot of ppl are looking for this kind of infos like you are giving away for free! keep up the work!

to my question.
    i'm planning a trip from 15th januar to 15th februar (maybe a day or two more) from BKK to Laos or Cambodia and then back to thai's islands for week or two...

- which one to choose? Laos or Cambodia? Don't really know what I should expect from any of those (and don't really know what to expect from you to tell me about it:D) I think I just have to choose since there is not enough time to see both (w/o rush...) maybe I should add up one thing to this one - which one is cheaper?
    - is 1000EUR (eq. 1200USD) spare money (I already have plane tickets, visas, equipment,...) enough for 33 days of budget travel? I'm not a big spender but I still like beer. heheh that sounds ridiculous but I think you know what I'm talking about :)

Thanks for all advises!!!

#1 Posted: 4/11/2008 - 05:03

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi erzo,

Glad you like the site -- thanks!

That's a pretty general question -- what are your interests?

Regarding your budget, EU30 a day should be plenty -- unless you like beer a real lot...

#2 Posted: 4/11/2008 - 07:27

• nickdawes

Joined Travelfish
    3rd November, 2008

Hi erzo-

I'd also like to throw a quick 'thank you' in to the community, discovered the site yesterday and I am loving it :)

As somtam2000 mentioned, how much you spend depends on you. If you prefer a private room and hot shower over a cold tap and bunk beds, be prepared to allow a little more for accommodation. The same goes for travel. If your itinerary doe not allow for a day on the train then be prepared to fork out extra for a flight. Pad Thai over Big Macs, Singha over Budweiser and meter taxis over Tuk Tuks. You'll be fine :)

On a more helpful note, I think your budget of 1,000 Euro will be plenty based on the amount I've spent on similar trips.

Oh and Laos is beautiful! I'd totally recommend it! You can take a slow boat from the Thai/Laos border up the Mekong river to Luang Prabang. The boat ride itself is an amazing trip!

#3 Posted: 4/11/2008 - 09:16

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

Spend a few days in Bangkok at the first of your trip and a final day or two at the end of your trip. Don't schedule any flights out immediately after arrival at BKK. There are two airports in Bangkok if you are going to fly somewhere know which airport you are leaving from. You can buy any connecting flights in Bangkok if you want, lots of travel agencies. Travel agencies also book tours for you.

In Laos you can visit Luang Prabang and Vientiane. When I was there I took a side trip to Phonsevahn Province where the Plain de Jars are located. But, I like history and unusual stuff.

Or visit Cambodia and see Phnom Penh for a few days and then take a ferry boat ride up to Siem Reap . Siem Reap is where Angkor Wat is located. I think Laos is a little cheaper than Cambodia but it is up to you to read up on these places and see what you prefer.

In Bangkok stay in an area that you can use the Skytrain. The Skytrain is an overhead rail service that you can use to take you to many places in Bangkok quick and easy.

How much to spend is up to your individual spending habits. If you have skimped in other trips you will do okay in Thailand. At the most, probably no worse than you would spend per day in your country traveling.

Don't forget to tell your bank you will be out of the country and where you are going if you intend to use credit or debit cards. I don't use credit cards or debit cards for cheap purchases or in restaurants to cut down on any possibility of credit card fraud. Use cash you get from an ATM. Wait until you get to Thailand to change your money over to Thai baht for the best rate. Don't leave Cambodia or Laos with their money - no one wants it after you leave those countries!

Good luck.

#4 Posted: 5/11/2008 - 10:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Budget Help for Five weeks in Thailand. ... By lm_w on 8 Jun 2009 4 3903 7 Jul 2009
thailand travel budget six weeks ... By cross83 on 27 May 2009 11 10175 10 Jun 2009
Thailand 3 weeks on limited budget ... By newbiedanielle on 20 Oct 2010 5 2774 24 Oct 2010
Budget advice needed! 4 weeks yunnan, vietnam and thailand ... By s0908946 on 14 Mar 2011 0 4498 14 Mar 2011