Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

bangkok to chiang mai

• kantin

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2008

hi i m now in bangkok in kaosan street...i wanna go to chiang mai for 3 or 4 days.does somebody knows what is the best way to get there? by agents or by train or by normal bus?
    and also how is it with maleria in 'chiang mai' and later in 'laos 'vietnam' and 'cambodia'?do i need to get tablets or injection???
    thanks for the answers

#1 Posted: 4/11/2008 - 23:05

• Advertisement

• nickdawes

Joined Travelfish
    3rd November, 2008

"the best" way is pretty subjective, but personally I'd take the train. Fares are listed at this site http://www.railway.co.th/English/FareRate.asp

I don't think theres risk of Malaria in Chiang Mai but if your looking to travel into Laos/Cambodia, it might be a good idea to get some meds. I think theres a pharmacy next to the Khao San Palace guesthouse? 'tis cheap, so its worth it but they did make me feel abit crappy...

#2 Posted: 5/11/2008 - 05:21

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

If you take the train use the sleeper train. This way you can save paying for another night in a hotel in Bangkok. Get the ticket ahead of time. Check with your doctor to see if you can use doxycycline for malaria prevention. You can get doxy in a local pharmacy, check expiration dates. (Unless you are allergic!)

Or you can fly up to Chiang Mai and be done with it! Two airports in Bangkok make sure you know where your plane leaves from.

Have fun.

#3 Posted: 5/11/2008 - 09:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.