Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Phuket to Ko Phra Thong

• owsleybeck

Joined Travelfish
    1st May, 2007

I was hoping someone could help me. My girl and I are flying into Phuket on Nov. 17th or so as we are planning on staying at Pavilions Resort starting on the 20th. but we would like to get off Phuket and see what else is around. My girl found Ko Phra Thong and the Golden Buddha Resort. This place looks really freindly and beautiful. But they charge about 250 USD to get you to their resort from Phuket...which is a little pricy for the distance involved. Does any one know where i can get some info on getting to KPT from PK. I would assume that the ferry would take you there fairly cheaply.

#1 Posted: 5/11/2008 - 06:39

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Andaman Island Hopping has a nice map showing the ferry route from the mainland to Ko Phra Tong on this page
    http://www.andaman-island-hopping.com/islands/phrathong.htm

When I clicked on the BOAT SCHEDULE TAB it said:
    "There are no scheduled boats available for the trip to Phra Thong Island. If you have booked accommodation at Golden Buddha Beach Resort, you will be asked for your arrival time, so that the transfer can be arranged. Crossing time is about 90 minutes."

Now if you got yourself to Nam Kem, the departure pier for Phra Thong, there is no way the boat would cost anywhere near $250 - that would be the price of private car transport from Phuket to the pier plus boat.

You can catch a big comfy aircon bus from Phuket to Kuraburi (you want a Ranong bound bus) - abt 3.5 hours and then get a taxi or songthaew across to the pier at Nam Kem. This is also the pier to the Surins, so is no isolated seldom-visited place.

Now if the resort's quote is still too high, you could charter a boat yourself when reaching the pier. Better still, one of the trip booking offices near the bus stop in Kuraburi could organise transport to the pier and a boat for you. I've seen reports saying these trip agents are very efficient.

#2 Posted: 5/11/2008 - 12:03

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

It's been a LONG time since I've been to Ko Phra Thong -- we were last there before tsunami (and before Golden Buddha Resort was largely destroyed). It's a stunning spot, probably all the better now that it's been rebuilt. From memory the boat from Khuraburi mentioned by tezza cost about 1,200B for the boat -- but this was years ago, so prob costs more now.

More info on transport here.

It's a really beautiful spot.

#3 Posted: 6/11/2008 - 16:39

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Hell Somtam! Why did you put that link up? Looks great - I want to go, but can't afford it!
    Says there the longtail from the resort is 1700.
    Is the transport form Phuket 2500 per person or per vehicle?? - if the later that is about US$38 per person - seems okay to me.

#4 Posted: 8/11/2008 - 16:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Ko Phra Thong ... By tezza on 27 Apr 2011 4 6672 19 Jul 2011
Opinions of Koh Phra Thong ... By mylesmellor on 16 Aug 2010 0 1752 16 Aug 2010
Ko Phra Thong info ... By tezza on 2 May 2011 2 2111 12 May 2011
Ko Phra Thong accommodation ... By tezza on 2 May 2011 4 3181 21 May 2011
From Ko Phra Thong to Surin Islands ... By topbanana on 27 Jan 2013 5 2085 6 Feb 2013
Golden Buddha Beach Resort - Koh Phra Thong ... By dfowlkes on 26 Jun 2009 0 2913 26 Jun 2009
Koh Phra Thong - web portal for this unique Thai island ... By christof on 23 Jul 2009 0 2437 23 Jul 2009