Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

To reserve... or not to reserve?

Posted by nickdawes on 11/11/2008 at 06:37

Hi :)

I was hoping for some up to date advice from those who know better. I land in Bangkok on the 30th of December for the start of (visa extension pending) a 3 month stay in Thailand. I have visited a few times before and I know what an ordeal it can be to find accommodation in the more popular tourist areas during peak period. I'm pretty sure December 30th falls into that catergory, which brings me to my point.

I want to stay in or around the Khao San area. I'd love to start my adventure downstairs at the My House Guest House and drink cold Singha while planning the rest of my travels, but I can imagine so would a hundred other people who arrived on the 29th. Booking in advance isn't an option around the area as I understand they rely mainly on walk-in trade. However the accommodation I have managed to find online is either too far away, too expensive or both.

So. Do I cross fingers and toes and turn up on Ram Buttri early on the 30th? Or play it safe and book onto Silom Road for a few nights for more baht than I'm happy to spend? I'm pretty conscious of my budget this time round, I'd resent paying extra to stay in a location I wasn't keen on.

Thanks in advance people!
Nick

#1 nickdawes has been a member since 3/11/2008. Posts: 4

Posted by somtam2000 on 12/11/2008 at 05:39 admin

Hi Nick,

If you're flexible and willing to try a few places before finding a room, then I'd say no need to reserve in advance -- especially in the KSR area.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,507
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.