Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

To reserve... or not to reserve?

• nickdawes

Joined Travelfish
    3rd November, 2008

Hi :)

I was hoping for some up to date advice from those who know better. I land in Bangkok on the 30th of December for the start of (visa extension pending) a 3 month stay in Thailand. I have visited a few times before and I know what an ordeal it can be to find accommodation in the more popular tourist areas during peak period. I'm pretty sure December 30th falls into that catergory, which brings me to my point.

I want to stay in or around the Khao San area. I'd love to start my adventure downstairs at the My House Guest House and drink cold Singha while planning the rest of my travels, but I can imagine so would a hundred other people who arrived on the 29th. Booking in advance isn't an option around the area as I understand they rely mainly on walk-in trade. However the accommodation I have managed to find online is either too far away, too expensive or both.

So. Do I cross fingers and toes and turn up on Ram Buttri early on the 30th? Or play it safe and book onto Silom Road for a few nights for more baht than I'm happy to spend? I'm pretty conscious of my budget this time round, I'd resent paying extra to stay in a location I wasn't keen on.

Thanks in advance people!
    Nick

#1 Posted: 11/11/2008 - 06:37

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Nick,

If you're flexible and willing to try a few places before finding a room, then I'd say no need to reserve in advance -- especially in the KSR area.

#2 Posted: 12/11/2008 - 05:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.