Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

anyone entered thailand witout an exit flight already booked?

• peppermintp-
    addy

Joined Travelfish
    29th June, 2008
    Total reviews: 2

hi there,has anyone entered thailand without an exit flight booked?Every time i have visited thailand i have had to show proof of exit flight,and because i have had one,they allow me a visa to enter.What happens if you enter without that exit flight booked?Has anyone experience of this?

#1 Posted: 13/11/2008 - 00:51

• Advertisement

• misskika007

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2008

I have definitely done it multiple times flying in from India. Never had to show proof of return flight. A friend I met travelling said that she was asked for it once, and simply told them she was going to book it in Bangkok as she wasn't sure which country she would be visiting next- Thai authorities had no problem with that.

#2 Posted: 13/11/2008 - 01:45

• peppermintp-
    addy

Joined Travelfish
    29th June, 2008

Thanx for that,that is what i will do then-say i'm not sure which country i'm leaving for.Anyone had first hand experience of this?

#3 Posted: 13/11/2008 - 05:34

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Yes, often.

#4 Posted: 13/11/2008 - 16:35

• peppermintp-
    addy

Joined Travelfish
    29th June, 2008

Thanx for the info-priceless information!

#5 Posted: 13/11/2008 - 18:02

• ChangFai

Click here to learn more about ChangFai
    Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2007
    Location Thailand

Does your nationality not come into it ?

#6 Posted: 14/11/2008 - 00:04

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

I have done it often and never a problem. If you get asked just say you are leaving via bus to cambodia or something.

#7 Posted: 14/11/2008 - 05:20

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

i've done it several times as well and never had a problem either.

having said that, here is what the Thai Consulate in Los Angeles states on their website under visa FAQs:

"I plan to visit other countries around Thailand and I plan to be in Thailand for less than 30 days. However, my airline ticket shows more than 30 days in Thailand. Do I need to apply for a visa?"

"Yes. If your airline ticket shows more than 30 days in Thailand, you must apply for the visa before entering Thailand even if you plan to obtain an airline or rail ticket to a third country upon arrival in Thailand. If your airline ticket shows more than 30 days in Thailand and you leave without a visa to Thailand, there is a very good chance that the airline could refuse to allow you to board until you obtain a Thai visa."

i've never known anyone personally who was turned away once they arrived in Thailand, but theoretically it could happen. i do know that my wife was very nearly denied boarding by United Airlines once on a trip to Bangkok because she did not have a visa on an over 30-day-long itinerary.

since the Thai Consulate info specifically says that the airline might be the issue, you might want to double check with your airline to make sure they will allow you to board under these circumstances without any problems. cheers.

#8 Posted: 14/11/2008 - 12:10

• joak

Joined Travelfish
    9th April, 2007
    Location Thailand

It's true that in most of the cases it's no problem at all, however be aware that some (unlucky) folks had troubles boarding from Europe (because the airline is supposed to check you meet the requirements to enter the country). You can enter the country without return flight only if you have long term visa. Some people advised, to be on the safe side, to book a refundable airline ticket to anywhere and cancel it once arrived...

#9 Posted: 14/11/2008 - 12:59

• jungleland

Joined Travelfish
    30th October, 2008

It seems to me the only people who get hassled are the Pattaya type visa run people.

#10 Posted: 14/11/2008 - 13:24

• Advertisement

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

Firstly most "visa runs do not involve going anywhere by plane....so I can't see what the connection is between "Pattaya types" and this question - what ARE "Pattaya types"???

secondly, the other question must be .

"Has anyone ACTUALLY been stopped because of this"

I have only second-hand info on this and that person was ADMITTED in the end, it just took an hour or so at immigration.

When you come into the country,it is entirely at the discretion of the officer standing in front of you whether it is an easy prcess or you ae rejected.

#11 Posted: 15/11/2008 - 07:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Why are all the trains and flight booked out?? ... By Isobel_123 on 11 Feb 2009 3 1177 12 Feb 2009
Anyone entered Thailand overland recently? ... By christay2009 on 27 Jul 2011 4 2195 29 Jul 2011