Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Swimming Pool Chiangmai

• davidjones1-

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2008

Anyone know of a good swimming pool in Chiangmai? We are staying in a guest house in town with no pool for two months. On previous visits we have been able to swim at the Amari Rincome Hotel but when we went there a couple of days ago we were told the hotel has changed its policy and no longer allows outsiders to pay to use the pool!

Ideally, we want to find a pool where we can swim, sunbathe and relax.

#1 Posted: 13/11/2008 - 13:28

• Advertisement

• davidjones1-

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2008

Thank you very much for the information about the swimming pools at the Centre of the Universe. The place is fantastic - the pictures on the website do not do it justice! We went there yesterday and had a really good time. Lunch was excellent and very reasonably priced - we thought such a classy place would be much more expensive, but we paid no more than we would have done at any other restaurant in Chiangmai.

A truly wonderful find! Thanks once again for your suggestion.

#2 Posted: 15/11/2008 - 12:02

• whatshername

Joined Travelfish
    15th November, 2008

Wow! Am I glad I looked at this message board yesterday. I 'phoned the pool to make sure they were open because today was the funeral of the King's sister and they offered to organize a taxi there and back - which I thought was good service and cost me less than the price quoted by a tuk tuk driver outside the guesthouse where I am staying.

The pool and gardens really are amazing - so quiet and peaceful! A welcome break from the hustle and bustle of the city. I recommend this place to anyone staying in Chiangmai without access to a swimming pool. I'll definitely be back there before I leave for Mae Hong Son (anyone know any good places to stay there?)

#3 Posted: 15/11/2008 - 17:27

• AMB

Joined Travelfish
    23rd November, 2008

We spent a few days at The Real Centre of the Universe and it was really relaxing.It was calm, friendly with a huge pool. It was great for lap swimming as well as just chilling out. Highly recommended.

#4 Posted: 23/11/2008 - 01:01

• davidjones1-

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2008

We will be leaving Chiangmai tomorrow after spending several weeks here. We're sad to be leaving and not looking forward to the cold, damp and miserable conditions that await us in the UK. We will miss our daily swim at the pool enormously!

A few ideas for anyone else who is visiting Chaingmai and wants to travel around
    - "Flight of the Gibbon" is a zip-line adventure through the treetops of the rain forest and is not to be missed - truly exhilarating!
    - Queen Sirikit Botanic Gardens at Mae Rim are well worth a visit. The collection of plants is from all over the world, not just Thailand, and the resulting display is a gardener's dream. We took a picnic with us and enjoyed lunch by the waterfalls.
    - The Royal Villa at Doi Tung has magnificent gardens and the villa itself is very interesting.
    - A trip to Doi Maesalong where tea is cultivated is like stepping into a different world. More Chinese than Thai and many of the hill tribe people still dress in traditional clothes to work in the fields. Stunning. There is a good choice of very good cheap accommodation in the area.
    - In Chiangmai, visit Wat U-mong at the back of the university. Set in a forest, it is different from any other temple we visited. Try and get there around 5pm if you want to hear the Buddhist monks chanting.

#5 Posted: 25/12/2008 - 08:37

• canterstom

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2009

I stayed at The Centre of the Universe in January. This place is unbelievable. Its main feature is a large beautiful pool with views (from your sunbed, of course) of the mountains in the distance. The accomodation is clean, stylish and comfortable. Not to be missed is the incredible selection of Smoothies - I attempted to try every type but was unable to get through them all! I'm hoping to go back for the rest of them one day. The ice coffees are also highly recommended, there can't be a nicer place in Chiang Mai!

#6 Posted: 12/2/2009 - 20:28

• CunningMcFar

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2004
    Total reviews: 45

looks like a cool place, and the rates are not too steep

#7 Posted: 12/2/2009 - 23:38

• wolf5370

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2010

I'm sorry but anyone who things 500 Baht per person to use the pool is "not too steep" should probably use the pool in the back of their limo instead! Centre of the Universe is pretty, but very expensive comparatively. Chiang Mai land has two pool, a cafe (with beer), part covering over the main pool for when the sun's a bit strong, lockers, clean water, life guards and plenty of loungers, for just 50Baht (that's one tenth the price).

#8 Posted: 6/4/2010 - 09:03

• CunningMcFar

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2004
    Total reviews: 45

@#9
    um, I was referring to the lodging rates at Center of the Universe, not daily pool rates, smart arse. I do enjoy swimming but not enough to dish out 500THB for day use. However, we might consider this place to stay next time we're in CM, just a thought

#9 Posted: 6/4/2010 - 21:30

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Just in case anyone is still looking. There is a nice big pool at the end of Chiang Mai Land road on the edge of town. Drive/ride to Chang Klan road (the night bazaar) and go south a couple km then turn right on Chiang Mai Land rd, go to the end and turn right just before the big Om Muang highway. Tucked away next to a tennis court is the pool, 50 baht admission. Changing rooms, showers, restaurant, and a small kiddie pool. Thais hide under the shade at one end while farang bake on sun chairs at the other end. Hardly any tourists know about it. Not very crowded most days.

#10 Posted: 7/4/2010 - 00:47

• Advertisement

• luce_uk

Joined Travelfish
    23rd January, 2009

Oooow, what a wonderful post! I was actually thinking of posting something similar about hotels policies on letting outsiders use their pools.

Is this widely acceptable in SEA e.g if we went in somewhere to ask i hope it wouldn't be considered cheeky, and how much should we expect to pay per person?

We will be staying in small guesthouses or hostels most of the time so i doubt many will have pools. Also should you be expected to provide your own towel?

Thanks for any advice!

#11 Posted: 7/4/2010 - 04:25

• Captain_Bob

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

The going rate to use a guesthouse or hotel pool here in Chiang Mai is around 100 baht ($3). Let's see, Top North Hotel/GH, Smile House, Prince Hotel, MD House, Anodard Hotel, Chiang Mai Orchid Hotel... there are quite a few. Of course it'll be steeper in places like Bangkok.

#12 Posted: 7/4/2010 - 21:22

• thaiyaikit

Joined Travelfish
    20th September, 2008

Day rate for swimming at the Centre of the Universe is 200 Baht per adult. 5 entries cost 750 Baht, 10 entries 1,250 Baht and 20 entries 2,000 Baht. Early morning and evening lap swimming sessions (0630-0900 and 1700-1930)costs 75 Baht.

#13 Posted: 12/4/2010 - 12:47

• thaiyaikit

Joined Travelfish
    20th September, 2008

I've just twigged it. Wolf5370 (re: entrance cost to the Centre of the Universe) must be referring to the entrance price per family i.e. 2 adults + 2 children! i.e. 125 Baht per person for a salt water pool.

#14 Posted: 12/4/2010 - 21:11

• Ozartist

Joined Travelfish
    19th March, 2011
    Location Australia

Calling Captain Bob and Forum folk,

In Chiang Mai at present, and a bit lost yet for giving tuk-tuk
    instructions...and as I'm 'over' scooters (as in I've dropped one and now I'm a chicken) ...thinking of a bicycle...

I saw your post about the swimming pool...near the Om Muang H'way,
    and would like to know how to tell a tuk-tuk person how to get there...

Can you help...I'm at Twin Peaks for a month, and need to do some decent laps somewhere closer than the end of the real universe...
    Hope you are still around, or someone else will help? Thanks in advance

Annapurna

#15 Posted: 19/3/2011 - 21:25

• Captain_Bob

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

The Chiang Mai Land swimming pool is about 2km from the Twin Peaks Condo. Go south on Chang Klan Road about 1km until you see the entrance to Chiang Mai Land Road on the right. Turn there and go about 600m to nearly the end and turn right on Chiang Mai Land soi 8 then go straight a couple blocks and you'll see tennis courts and the pool next to it.

#16 Posted: 20/3/2011 - 00:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Nice swimming pool in Hanoi ... By shaydan_01 on 27 Jul 2010 3 2092 29 Jul 2010
Le Flamboyant in Kep . Pristine swimming-pool ... By seiller on 1 Jul 2009 0 2989 1 Jul 2009
Blue Lime: exotic garden, swimming pool, urban accommodation in PP ... By pavilion on 22 Aug 2008 1 3244 26 Aug 2008
Centre of the Universe - Private Swimming Club and Resort, Chiangmai ... By thaiyaikit on 20 Sep 2008 0 2560 20 Sep 2008
Hanoi Paradise Hotel - The only hotel has swimming pool in Hanoi Old Quater ... By hanoiparadise on 14 Aug 2013 0 947 14 Aug 2013