Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Tentative Itinerary

• terryMac

Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2008

My wife and I, mid 50’s, will be travelling to Thailand for 8 weeks from Jan 14 to March 13. We have come up with a tentative itinerary and wish to get your input. Here goes. Arrive BKK on Jan 14 and looking at staying in Siam Square area due to transportation benefits. Thinking about Wendy House or White Lodge. Stay 4 days then bus/train to Kanchanaburi, bus to Ayutthaya →Sukhothai → Chiang Mai (here to trek for a few days), then either bus/rent car/car and driver to go to Phrae→ Chiang Rai (here to trek-LP suggests Fhu Travel Service- better doing this here or out of Chiang Mai or both? → Chiang Rai →Chiang Chong →slow boat or Nagi of Mekong(if they still exist) →Luang Prabang →bus to Vientiane →Nong Khai → Udon Thani → Khon Kaen →Ubon Ratchathani (is this city worth a visit?) → train/plane to BKK →Air Asia to Phnom Penh (2days) → Siem Reap/Angkor Wat(3 days) → fly BKK. Not sure how long the above will take but we want to spend the last 7-10 days relaxing on a beach before flying back to Canada. Koh Lak has been suggested. We like to snorkel, don’t dive, really don’t want to cook. Are we missing something obvious? Any suggestions?

#1 Posted: 21/11/2008 - 02:02

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi terryMac,

Looks good to me.

For trekking I'll second LP's rec on Fhu Travel -- they're excellent. The trekking is much different out of Nan rather than Chiang Mai -- more a focus on the scenery than on seeing x,y,z different hill tribes each day.

Ubon Ratchathani is a good place -- food is excellent. Very untouristed. Try to make the time to get out to Khong Chiam if you can -- it's where the Moon River meets the Mekong -- very scenic (and more good eating!). There's also an interesting national park nearby.

If you're heading to Khao Lak and like to snorkel -- consider a trip out to the Similan Islands -- reputedly the best snorkelling/diving in Thailand. It's been some time since I've been there, but believe both day trips and overnight visits (liveaboards) are available.

Hope that helps!

#2 Posted: 21/11/2008 - 06:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
my tentative itinerary...is it ok? ... By mp3province on 8 Apr 2012 9 2269 22 Apr 2012
Tentative 3.5 week itinerary - need help guesstimating a daily budget ... By FreeSombrero on 24 Sep 2013 6 962 24 Sep 2013
Request for Expert Opinion on my Tentative One-Month Itinerary ... By srk052004 on 22 May 2009 5 1932 8 Jun 2009