Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bangkok - safe to travel??

• craigger

Joined Travelfish
    19th November, 2008

Hi all;
    We're flying into Bangkok on Nov. 27/08, and are very nervous about the current political protests and their affect on our travels. With so many different reports online, it's hard to judge what the situation actual is in Bangkok.
    1. Should we just fly into Bangkok and fly out right away, or stay a day or two?
    2. Are the public services (water, buses, electricy) in danger of being shut off?
    3. We were planning on going to Chang Mai after Bangkok, but have heard the protesting has extended there as well?

Hearing that both sides are fortifying, after 2 deaths and a mass protest, we are getting quite worried.

Can someone please shed some light on the situation?

Thanks,

#1 Posted: 24/11/2008 - 23:46

• Advertisement

• ChangFai

Click here to learn more about ChangFai
    Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2007
    Location Thailand

Personally , at the present time , its needless worrying .

If you want to stay in BKK , then do so , its very unlikely you would even see any sign of protests .

If anything after yesterdays (Mon) demo. , it could be said that PAD are losing some of their support as in general the people are fed up with it .

There will be no sign of public service interruptions , than the usual unforeseen ones you get now and again .

I have heard of no protests in Chiang Mai (Remember this is Thaksins home town) .

In fact the only other city I have heard of protests in , was in Pattaya last weekend .

Stop worrying , go enjoy your holiday .

I am in Thailand at present and I am worrying more over the exchange rate than anything else ;-)

Best Regards
    ChangFai

#2 Posted: 25/11/2008 - 09:38

• whatshername

Joined Travelfish
    15th November, 2008

I am in Chiangmai and agree with the previous posting by ChangFai. Check the travel advice from the UK Foreign Office at http://www.fco.gov.uk They have updated their report to take account of what happened in Bangkok yesterday. They do NOT say "all but essential travel should be avoided" for Bangkok and Chiangmai, which is what they usually do if there is a high risk to travellers. Follow their advice - avoid the area around Government House in Bangkok. Also please note there were no domestic flights cancelled as a result of the protests at Don Muang. Might have taken longer to get there, but did not stop the planes.

The sun is shining in Chiangmai! Get over here!

#3 Posted: 25/11/2008 - 09:58

• Thaiman

Click here to learn more about Thaiman
    Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

I agree with the last 2 posts-don't worry about it,just go and enjoy yourself.Keep away from the hot spots,Government House,Don Muang etc and you won't even know anything's happening.Don't think there were as many PAD people turned upto the protest yesterday as they were expecting so it may have run it's course.

#4 Posted: 25/11/2008 - 13:20

• irishana

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2008

Hi! Me and my husband will be traveling to Bangkok on the 27th November too. Personally, I'm quite worried after hearing on the news today that gunshots have been fired and the road to the international airport has been closed.

Should we go ahead with the trip?

Can anyone let me know the situation at Pratunam area so that we can manage our expectations. Is that area safe?

Many thanks!

#5 Posted: 25/11/2008 - 18:51

• ichida

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2008

hi, found this forum by chance and would really like to seek all of your help.

my friends and i are planning to visit bangkok together on the 4th of december but from what the news is reporting, it seems pretty dangerous and it is making us uneasy. it is really a great pity to miss out on the opportunity to travel to bangkok esp with friends so could i please hear all of your opinions if we should continue with the trip?

will the situation get better or worse in a week's time? any advices? thanks alot =)

#6 Posted: 25/11/2008 - 22:01

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

The situation is fluid.

I'd have non concerns about travelling in greater Thailand, but tensions are high in Bangkok at the moment. The protesters have ratcheted up tensions again (they're trying desperately to provoke a coup), so I'd advise keeping a close eye on the news.

The current issues are well away from Pratunam, but within walking distance of Khao San Road (the main backpacker hub).

As far as I can see there have not been reports of escalating violence overnight, so should wait and see what today brings.

#7 Posted: 26/11/2008 - 06:07

• hotwings

Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2007

I too am arriving at BKK on Nov.27th! What I am worried about is that BKK stays open! Hopefully the protest would be done by then and planes would be able to land. I leave on the Nov.30th flying out of BKK too.

I'm not too worried about security. I still plan to do everything on my itinerary. When I arrive I'll ask my hotel to see if they think I should avoid any landmarks. They should know best.

#8 Posted: 26/11/2008 - 06:14

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

I would not go to Bangkok at the moment.

#9 Posted: 26/11/2008 - 10:14

• ChangFai

Click here to learn more about ChangFai
    Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2007
    Location Thailand

Rufus
    I hear you , but it is being well reported that there is no problems between the protesters and tourists .

Still its a terrible situation , and I feel bad for the advice I gave yeterday , but that was yesterday .

Hotwings
    I have heard some airlines have already cancelled all flights in and out of BKK thru the 27th .

#10 Posted: 26/11/2008 - 14:53

• Advertisement

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Now's the time I would like to go to Thailand - less package tourist! lol.

Seriously tho, my sister in law lives in bangkok so we get news direct from her. Aparently the protesters tried to stop the old and new airport in bangkok.

Anyone hear about this?

#11 Posted: 26/11/2008 - 16:54

• fondo

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2006
    Total reviews: 19
    Places visited:
    At least 98

PAD are currently occupying the airport. The Military have called for a new election to get the protesters out. PAD say no, the PM sayd no. It's being interpreted as a gentle coup threat.

BKK, as usual, is great!

#12 Posted: 26/11/2008 - 21:49

• hotwings

Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2007

for those of you that are flying in via nippon airways... they've updated their site.

http://fli.ana.co.jp/fs/intenmenu

"November 26, 2008 21:30(JST)
    Bangkok (Suvarnabhumi) International Airport has been closed until 18:00LCT/27NOV due to political rally.

Flights from/to Bangkok airport canceled due to airport close as below.

NH954/27NOV,NH953/27NOV

Flights information of NH915/27NOV and NH916/27NOV will be informed around 12:00JST/27NOV."

#13 Posted: 26/11/2008 - 22:02

• ichida

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2008

thanks for the input.

how long do you think this situation will persist?

thanks again =)

#14 Posted: 27/11/2008 - 00:21

• babyhot

Joined Travelfish
    15th November, 2008

Hi,

I'm in Bangkok, the protesters still in the airport. In my opinion there are still no flight from and to new Bangkok airport for tomorrow(28 Nov 08).

#15 Posted: 27/11/2008 - 01:46

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

As far as I know Suvarnabhumi remains closed to inbound and outbound flights. As it stands the military has told the government to dissolve parliament and told the PAD (the protesters) to go home. Both said no.

Some of Thailand's other international airports (Phuket, Chiang Mai, Hat Yai) remain unaffected by all this, so if you're flying into one of those ports you should have no problems.

At this stage travel in and around Thailand is safe -- the problem is getting into Thailand -- especially Bangkok. If the protesters continue to escalate their behaviour, there is the chance they will block other transport options (rail and bus) they've done that before, and could cause logistical problems to ones travels in Thailand.

I'll update more as I hear it.

#16 Posted: 27/11/2008 - 08:15

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

Whoa, I hope this gets resolved but it doesn't look like either side is backing down.

Does anyone know what is happening with the scheduled inbound flights? Are they being diverted to a nearby airport or are the flights simply being canceled?

I fly in on Jan 1 :-O

#17 Posted: 27/11/2008 - 09:54

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Scheduled flights are mostly being cancelled. For example all flights from Jakarta and Singapore into Bangkok have been cancelled completely.

Have just added a new story with suggestions on how to plan around the ongoing Thailand debacle.

#18 Posted: 27/11/2008 - 10:11

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Am at Singapore's Changi airport at the moment. All Jetstar flights to Bangkok are cancelled today and tomorrow morning. I'd expect this to also be the case for flights out of Australian with Jetstar.

Jetstar are offering cash refund on the spot, but they're not too helpful when it comes to suggestions on how to actually get to Bangkok! Flights into alternatives -- eg Phuket, Hat Yai are packed.

#19 Posted: 27/11/2008 - 14:07

• fernery

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2008

Hi, travelling to Bangkok is not possible for now. Not till at the earliest - 29 Nov 2008 Saturday at 6pm.
    Note this piece of news:
    http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/topstories.php?id=132341

#20 Posted: 27/11/2008 - 23:23

• fernery

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2008

http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/topstories.php?id=132341

#21 Posted: 27/11/2008 - 23:46

• Thaiman

Click here to learn more about Thaiman
    Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

According to the ABC[Australia] a state of emergensy has been declared at both airports.All of this makes me very sad and in the short term will do Thailand no good.In the long term one can only hope.

#22 Posted: 28/11/2008 - 02:16

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

As already mentioned a State of Emergency has been declared, confined solely to Bangkok's two airports -- Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi.

The Thai govt is saying personnel from the police, air force and navy will be involved in clearing the protesters out, but so far nothing has happened.

It's notable that the army are not involved in the actions -- pointing again to tension between the govt and the army and lending credence to ongoing coup rumours.

#23 Posted: 28/11/2008 - 08:26

• mark1980

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2008

Due to arrive in Bangkok on the 5th December but can re route to Phuket if needed.
    Just concerned for our safety though, are we still going to be ok if there is a coup? If so then I guess we can just avoid Bangkok?

#24 Posted: 28/11/2008 - 14:02

• booter

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2008

Hi, Myself and amy partner are due to fly out from the UK to Singapore on Dec.9th staying for a few days and then flying onto Bangkok for a few days on the 14th Dec.2008. Having been watching the news etc. I am worried, do you think I should still include the trip to Bangkok? Would appreciate your thoughts.

#25 Posted: 28/11/2008 - 14:20

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

mark1980,
    During Thailand's last coup, the country largely remained safe for travel. The causes of these (latest) ongoing dramas are primarily domestic political issues and as such, as long as you steer clear of protests, you shouldn't have any grounds for concern.

However, I'd advise keeping a close eye on the news over the coming days, especially regarding what happens at the airports, as there is a real possibility of serious violence depending on how/if the protesters are cleared out.

At this stage, unless the airport protesters are cleared out in the next 48 hours, I'd say it will be unlikely that the airports will be operating as normal by the 5th -- it's probably not a bad idea to reroute through Phuket, just to be safe, but if you're to do that I'd say do it now, as a lot of travellers are probably having the same thoughts as you.

booter, the 14th is a way away yet and a lot could change in two weeks, if you're going only to Bangkok, I'd probably reconsider -- but if you can give it a couple more days to see what happens, I'd do that.

Sorry the above is a bit on the vague side, but matters remain very fluid and fast changing.

#26 Posted: 28/11/2008 - 14:59

• lesd

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2008

Well, I'm supposed to arrive BKK from Korea via Asiana airlines on the 19th Dec. I'm wondering if any of the airlines are allowing rerouting to nearby countries, or maybe they are canceling flights?
    I would think they will clear up the airport by 19 Dec, but what if the protesters decide to return and mess things up again?
    I guess I'll wait 3 days or so, and maybe route my trip to Malaysia instead.
    Planning for these trips is nerve wrecking enough as it is, and now this has to happen!

#27 Posted: 28/11/2008 - 16:47

• expatudon08

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2008

you are safe in thailand even in these times dont worry enjoy your trip bangkok is just the capital and i doubt anybody would spend there whole time on holiday there
    but i have a friend that as been there for 5 years and loves the hussle and bussle

#28 Posted: 28/11/2008 - 18:12

• lesd

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2008

PAD should realize that the economy all over the world is really shaky right now. They picked a perfect time to do this, to put Thailand even further into the dumpster. Perhaps PAD desires the economy of Cambodia.
    Why don't the king speak up, BTW ?

Anyhow, I have little fear of traveling there on the 19th Dec, *IF* I can get there.
    I would not want to be one of the stranded passengers at BKK airport right now. Can you say "human shield and hostage" ?

#29 Posted: 29/11/2008 - 03:53

• niloda00

Joined Travelfish
    19th November, 2008

Hey,

just an update on flights for anyone flying out of Melbourne to Bangkok, My sister was scheduled to fly to Bangkok on sunday 30th Novemeber with Jetstar, the airline rang today saying that they have canceled the flight and offered a full refund or either a re-scheduled flight to Bangkok or Malaysia on tuesday the 2nd of December. which sounds fairly resonable to me...

im flying out on the 7th of december, hopefully all flights into bangkok will be fully operational by then.

#30 Posted: 29/11/2008 - 13:05

• booter

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2008

Good morning milodaoo, Thanks for your update however do you think it will be safe to spend a few days in Bangkok even if the airports open up in the next few days, I am due to leave the UK on the 9th to Singapore and then onto Bangkok on the 14th Dec.

#31 Posted: 29/11/2008 - 13:20

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Just a brief update on this.

News reports are saying that there are (so far) in excess of 100,000 travellers stranded by the airports being over-run and the Airports of Thailand was quoted as saying it would take two days to clear that 100,000 people out.

What this means is that even if the protesters were kicked out tomorrow, I wouldn't expect a resumption of normal flight schedules till late this coming week -- at the very best.

In reality, the airports could easily remain occupied till the King's Birthday (December 5) so perhaps not back to normal operation till Dec 9-10 (assuming there'll be well over 100,000 strandees by then.

My advice? Look into alternative gateways -- Kuala Lumpur and Singapore are the two biggest hugs, and both have flights into southern Thailand.

#32 Posted: 29/11/2008 - 15:58

• lesd

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2008

I'm confused. Are all civilian airports shut down, or just BKK ?
    I'm still 19 days from flying to BKK, but I'm getting nervous that things are stalled out there.

#33 Posted: 30/11/2008 - 17:48

• TheBronze

Joined Travelfish
    2nd October, 2008

As of now the airport website for BKK is showing that although ~50 % of flights are cancelled, it shows some as scheduled and some are en-route. Just to clarify (I am flying into Bangkok, however not for a few months, so am sure there will be resolution by than..) Anyways just out of curiosity, is this the actual status? Or is this simply the re routed flights to other airports (U-Tapao, etc) or an error, because the date DOES say Dec. 1... between 12-3PM I am confused..

#34 Posted: 1/12/2008 - 13:22

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

As it stands, both of Bangkok's airports -- Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang are 110% closed. Through last night and this morning there have been some flight departures, these have all been of empty aircraft (primarily THAI aircraft) being shifted to other airports to lend help to getting people out of (and into) the alternative airports. These flights couldn't leave with passengers because the PAD have overrun the airport of course.

Re comment by TheBronze, would expect this to mean flights into/out of U-Tapao, though I don't know for sure.

#35 Posted: 1/12/2008 - 13:43

• brooke07

Joined Travelfish
    2nd December, 2008

hi there,
    i am heading out on a direct flight to phuket tomorrow afternoon (3rd dec 08) and i am panicing big time!
    do you think phuket will be safe enough for travel and stay until the 18th?
    i understand that bangkok is a 'no go' zone but have heard nothing about phuket.
    any help/suggestions would be great?
    thankyou,
    brooke

#36 Posted: 2/12/2008 - 08:12

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Phuket -- safety wise -- is fine, I'd have no concerns whatsoever about travelling around there.

Hope that helps!

#37 Posted: 2/12/2008 - 08:18

• ichida

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2008

don't think this is directly related, but does anyone know how to go about getting refunds if the flight is cancelled?

for tiger airlines that is. their call centre is not picking up at all and we've tried continuously calling for days. their website only provides a mail address and there isn't even an email address for us to mail to esp since the call centre is perfectly useless.

is anyone encountering similar problems?

#38 Posted: 2/12/2008 - 10:30

• caro86

Joined Travelfish
    2nd December, 2008

i have a ticket departing for thailand on dec. 13th -- do you think i should cancel my trip, or wait a few days? or try to fly into phuket or chiang mai? i'm not sure if its even safe to go to thailand due to the political instability.

i realize the demonstrations are centered in Bangkok, but i fear there may be more widespread repercussions will be felt throughout the nation (i.e. transportation delays and other inconveniences for tourists). so maybe it'll be better to head to another destination.

ANY THOUGHTS?

#39 Posted: 2/12/2008 - 11:57

• TheBronze

Joined Travelfish
    2nd October, 2008

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/

apparently the courts have resolved to dissolve the 3 coalition parties led by the PPP...
    Any ideas as to what this means as for..
    a) stability in Bangkok and Thailand in general for that matter
    b) the current situation involving the airport closures and mass protests
    c) immediate future?

I am somewhat illiterate when it comes to how the Thai political system works, and lack sufficient background info so if anyone has any idea that would be great!
    Coming to Bangkok in April, and I hope that its calm in this wonderful place again because I want a first time visit to remember!!

#40 Posted: 2/12/2008 - 13:34

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

ichida: For refunds it largely depends on the airline. Generally if you have not started the trip you're in a better chance to get a refund, but if you've already used half the ticket then you're in a far more difficult position regarding getting a refund. You really need to get in touch with the airline in question, so I guess keep trying Tiger.

caro86: I'd absolutely be trying to switch the ticket to fly into Chiang Mai or Bangkok -- I'd say at this stage it is unlikely Bangkok's airports will be operating by Dec 13.

Regarding general security, it's difficult to give a firm answer as things are changing very quickly at the moment. At this stage, upcountry Thailand remains safe, but I personally wouldn't recommend travelling to Bangkok.

#41 Posted: 2/12/2008 - 13:36

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

TheBronze: It's too early to say at this stage. Things are moving very quickly. Given you're not coming until April, you've got a fair amount of time for stuff to settle -- so don't panic. That said for anyway arriving in or travelling through Thailand in the immediate future, I'd advise steering clear of Bangkok until the repercussions of today's judgement become clearer.

Sorry to be so vague at this stage, but it is very unclear what will happen.

#42 Posted: 2/12/2008 - 13:43

• booter

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2008

I am booked to arrive in Bangkok on 14th Dec. do you think the airports will be up and running by then? if so do you think it will be safe in and around Bangkok. I am booked for 4 days before continuing onto New Zealand. I leave the UK on the 9th for Singapore first and I really would like my trip sorted before leaving the UK. Spoken to travel agent but they say to early to change as yet without encouring alot of charges. Would appreciate your thoughts.

#43 Posted: 2/12/2008 - 15:54

• lodesafun

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2006

As someone who IS in Bangkok, I can say it is Safe. BAngkok Airports could be down for a few more weeks at the earliest.

#44 Posted: 2/12/2008 - 16:03

• jyates

Joined Travelfish
    2nd December, 2008

Hi,

I'm going to be travelling on the west coast of Thailand (Krabi, Ko Lanta, Raileh) from the 16th of January. Thankfully I'm flying to Singapore - sorry to those of you stuck at the moment.

As it's high season then I was going to book all accommodation ahead but some people have said that due to the current protests in Thailand there will be a lot less tourists and I will therefore find better deals when I arrive. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for your advice.

#45 Posted: 2/12/2008 - 17:30

• brontsy24

Joined Travelfish
    2nd December, 2008

Hi,

I'm supposed to be flying into Bangkok from Melbourne on the 7th Dec, but it looks like Bangkok will still be closed. Jetstar are saying they can fly me into Phuket or arrange a direct flight to somewhere like Singapore for no extra cost.

Does anyone know if it will be safe to even go into Thailand at all after todays court decision? Are the pro government guys likely to become violent? Should I just fly to Singapore and then try and fly through to Laos or Cambodia or will Phuket be alright? Does anyone know what accommodation is like in Phuket at the minute with so many ppl leaving Bangkok?

Also I was hoping to get from Phuket up north to Chaing Mai and Laos but am unsure how to do this while still avoiding Bangkok...

Thanks for any help.

#46 Posted: 2/12/2008 - 19:01

• ichida

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2008

somtam2000: thanks for your reply =)

my flight is due on the 4th. which might or might not be cancelled. the thing is that they have no office address and the hotline is always engaged. that's why my friends and i don't know where to go. thanks for your help anyway.

anyway bangkok is still not very safe yet and even tho the protestants won, the pro-govt ones might start another protest. it is best to avoid bkk for now i guess.

#47 Posted: 2/12/2008 - 21:36

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Here is my opinion on what will happen in the immediate future. (My info comes continuously from several friends in Bangkok/Chiang Mai/Pitsanulouk, etc., many Thai friends here in the states and 4 years of following the Thailand political situation very closely - 1 year while in Thailand.) Bare in mind, no one can predict the future.

In the short term, I think Thailand will be safe and it sounds like the airport will be open again very soon.

One thing that is often down-played in the media is the devotion of all Thais to King Bhumbibol Adulyadej, who has reigned for 62 years and will turn 81 on Dec. 5. I expect both pro PPP and PAD to, at least temporarilly, end their demonstrations and pay reverence to the king, who is scheduled to address his subjects on Friday.

The king stands for the Buddhist virtues of non-violence and acts as both head of state and spiritual guide. As long as he is around, I believe the Thai people will do their best to abide by the king's wishes, that they not harm each other.

Seven deaths during the recent unrest is notable, but certainly one would expect more violence if a similar situation unfolded in many other countries.

With the disbanding of the PPP and two other parties, however, many ill sentiments are likely to reappear at some point. Whether or not pro PPP protesters take up similar tactics as PAD, which could hamper tourism, remains to be seen. Clearly, some within the poorer segments feel betrayed, frustrated and powerless.

The word "revolution" is now being used in connection with the pro PPP group so the chance for major demonstrations in the short term is certainly there. My guess, though, is that everyone will let things calm down for a bit and then begin to re-group.

Money is a factor that is also under-played in the media. Ousted PM Thaksin Shinawatra is a multi-billionare, one of the richest men in the world.

Those of the PAD and military are both upset by Thaksin and his party's corruption and frightnened by the fact that he carries so much financial power in the country. They are trying to keep power more centralized around the king as underlying fears of his death mount (he has said there will be no heir to his throne).

I, too, fear for the country over the coming years as the king grows older. In the eventual, if real democracy is abandoned and politicians become appointed, I fear, the pro PPP group would act on its frustrations. The continuing disconnect between the two sides is alarming and when there is no gentle king to calm the situation, things may be far more uncertain.

#48 Posted: 3/12/2008 - 04:33

• AM009

Joined Travelfish
    3rd December, 2008

Please can you help/advise?

My boyfriend and I are due to leave London next Tuesday 9th for our once in a lifetime travel experience. Our first destination being Bangkok. I have been told by my tour operator today that they are unable to change our itinerary. We have requested to swap our countries around travelling to NZ and OZ first ending in SE Asia.

We have been told that if on the 7th Dec the airport still remains shut we will be offered a full refund or sent to Singapore instead. Our travels onward from Singapore are at our own expense!!!

Does anyone know if we chose to do this could we fly on from Singapore to Hanoi and do our Vietnam, Cambodia and Loas leg of the tour allowing for it to all calm down before we are due to depart Bangkok on the 27th Jan to Sydney?

Can we sort our Vietnam Cambodia, Laos visas out in singapore? Do we need them?

#49 Posted: 3/12/2008 - 06:23

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

That's a good summary of events by DLuek -- thanks!

AM009: I doubt Bangkok's airport will be back operating as normal on Dec 7, so Singapore, at this stage, is a more likely bet.

Flying from Sg to Hanoi is a good idea -- Tiger Airways fly the route and are fairly affordable.

Visa for Cambodia and Laos I'd get on arrival, your Vietnamese visa can be organised in Singapore.

Hope that helps

#50 Posted: 3/12/2008 - 07:56

• Bellem

Joined Travelfish
    3rd December, 2008

Hi ichida,

I'm having the same problem. i've been trying to get through tiger airlines' call centre but still no luck. been trying for days. for tonight, i held on the line for an hour or longer, i cant rem, but still no body's picking up. this is the problem with budget airlines

sorry i dont have a solution to offer cos i'm as clueless as you. i'm due to fly on the 20dec and we're still in a dilemma whether to cancel... ohhh lets us hope the situation in bangkok gets better..

#51 Posted: 3/12/2008 - 21:13

• rhingo

Joined Travelfish
    6th October, 2008

AM009: found out today that our United flight from US to BKK via NRT will depart 12/5 and land 12/6 PM as scheduled. That said, not sure if: a. this will actually happen, b. flight schedules in and out of BKK will will be back to "normal" by 12/7, or c. whether things will flare up again after we arrive.

we originally were considering alternate routes via KUL, but held out til the last minute and it paid off...for now!

I would suggest contacting your airline and finding our whether the flights on the 5th and 6th will be going thru as planned.

Best of luck!

#52 Posted: 4/12/2008 - 07:58

• gaoxiao

Joined Travelfish
    4th December, 2008

Hi Bellem,

I have the same problem. I called tiger airline more than 10 times, but never get through. Did you buy the flight-only insurance provided by AIG? I called them and got a very definite answer, if you cancel the flight or change date, you won't get any refund, neither from tiger nor from the insurer.

I am due to fly on 21 Dec to BKK. Hope the situation there is suitable for traveling by that time.

#53 Posted: 4/12/2008 - 11:22

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Media reports are now saying the airports have re-opened but different carriers are recommencing on differing dates. As the Bangkok Post reports there are concerns that the airports have been reopened too quickly and that systems etc have not been as comprehensively checked as they should have been.

The Bangkok Post story is here.

#54 Posted: 5/12/2008 - 08:05

• flea

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2008

Hi,

Just wondering what the latest is in terms of safety. I'm travelling to Bangkok on the 23rd December. I was originally planning to stay in Bangkok for a while before travelling up to Chiang Mai and Laos. Now I'm considering catching a flight straight to Laos. It'd be great if I could get feedback from someone in Thailand. I've heard the media tends to exaggerate the actual danger but would still like to be cautious.

#55 Posted: 10/12/2008 - 16:17

• Bellem

Joined Travelfish
    3rd December, 2008

Hey gaoxiao,

Yes, i bought that insur from AIG too. From what i checked from Tiger's site, our ticket cannot be refunded, so is the insur. But it states that Tax are refundable. But i'm still not able to get thru their line! It's getting frustrating isnt it. I hope too by the time, the situation gets stablised.

#56 Posted: 10/12/2008 - 22:04

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Things seem to have well and truly settled down -- for now. I'd suggest keeping abreast of international news etc, but for now no real need to bypass the country.

#57 Posted: 11/12/2008 - 17:48

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

Flew into Bangkok on Dec 6 via China Air. Fastest I ever went through immigration. Am in Chaing Mai now. Everything seems normal to me. Not nearly as many tourists as usual though.

#58 Posted: 12/12/2008 - 07:15

• flea

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2008

Great news :) Thanks for the feedback. Now I can start finalising my itinerary.

#59 Posted: 12/12/2008 - 11:08

• lesd

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2008

I'm arriving Dec 20 at BKK and would like to fly to Phuket that afternoon. I read on Bangkok post that some airlines are offering deep discounts, as well as some hotels that are going to do 2 days for one.
    Anyone see any of these deals ? So far I see nothing like that.
    Seems like they want to kick start the tourism again.

#60 Posted: 13/12/2008 - 14:34

• xamp

Joined Travelfish
    13th December, 2008

hi there, i am travelling to thailand this monday, 16/12. i have been there so many times and always feel so safe there and i am a female solo traveller... so many mixed reports; please can someone confirm with me that it is in fact safe given the current situation? i really welcome positive reports! ;)

#61 Posted: 13/12/2008 - 20:01

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

They are supposed to vote for a new PM on Monday Dec 15. If the Democrats win, the UDD (government supporters) have vowed to protest. Non-violently they say. If the Thaksin group wins the PAD {gov protesters) have vowed to cause problems again. Either way there is bound to be some kind of protest and won't know which way it will go until tomorrow sometime. Those of us that come here on a regular basis aren't to bothered as Thailand won't target tourists as some countries do. Just be flexible in your schedule and don't wear yellow or red. LOL
    As for discounts , my flight to Chiang Mai was a lot more expensive than last year. They haven't gotten rid of the fuel surcharge yet.I did read in the post where the southern islands are hurting with NO new bookings for the off season. Prices are dropping at some of the guesthouses in Chiang Mai though.

#62 Posted: 14/12/2008 - 16:09

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

lesd: Agoda have a page of special deals for Thailand, but the properties are mostly upmarket fare. As things seems to be settling in Thailand, some of the deals are disappearing as quickly as they came. The Agoda special deals are here.

xamp: Yes, matters seem to have settled down, but you should keep an eye on the news for any new developments.

neosho: Good advice all round.

#63 Posted: 15/12/2008 - 05:26

• xamp

Joined Travelfish
    13th December, 2008

thanks for the response and the advice; i will be sure not to wear red and yellow too... i will try not to stay in bangkok too long and thinking of going to koh chang first and then stay in chiang mai for a while. surely this should be ok. i'll just be careful with the falling coconuts!

be safe everyone and let's hope this beautiful peaceful country and it's people can have the harmony these deserve

#64 Posted: 15/12/2008 - 10:03

• JohnnyCash

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008

Thailand is completely safe. The hotel occupancy dropped from 100 to 30 and now its pickin up for Bangkok.
    While the other places the hotels are still full. This is the peak season.If coming to Bangkok you should come now since the hotels are giving away at 50 percent off. So its now at 2000 only.
    Like in all the highly populated tourist destination there are always some kind of scams operating.
    Lets say in Egypt from selling Carpets to Rugs to India Jewellery and antiques and so same goes with Bangkok.
    Due to the high complain by fellow tourist. The Government of thailand still cannot stop these scams from happening so please share the sites Bangkok Scams it with friends who are coming to bangkok to please beware of these scams and dont forget to AVOID THE TUK TUKS in Bangkok.
    The most famous to get easy money is taking to buy some JEWELLERY OR TAILOR CLOTHES.
    Beware that those big jewellery or Tailor shops are Mafia operated and they get overhead charge on it and high comission percentage. So its a rip off on your deal.
    For Jewellery Please contact MBK or Siam Paragon for good stuff .
    For Tailored clothes Excelsior in Bangkok being the most famous.
    For Travel agents or any help go to [URL= http://www.tourismthailand.org/]Tourism THailand[/URL]
    Please tell all your friends to go to Bangkok scams before visiting Bangkok.
    Nonetheless everyone learns from Experiencing it.
    Hope i have been of some help to my friends.
    Cheers,
    Ron

#65 Posted: 27/12/2008 - 14:49

• jenchao

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2008

Heard about the protest that is going on in Bangkok.

Anyone please advise how's the condition now as I'm planning to go on a trip in January 2009.

Please advise if it is still safe to go Bangkok.

Thanks!

#66 Posted: 31/12/2008 - 11:03

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

No one can advise if it is safe or not. The best thing they can tell you is that you, as a tourist, are unlikely to suffer any inconvenience. However, no guarantees.

#67 Posted: 31/12/2008 - 17:50

• TheNewGuy8

Joined Travelfish
    8th September, 2010

jeebus - with these topics you bumped i started reading withoutlooking at the dates and thought all hell was breaking loose right now!

had quite a start there.

#68 Posted: 5/11/2010 - 15:50

• sonnymav5a

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2010

Bangkok is fined. You will enjoy your stay there.
    There are lots of things to see and do.
    http://thailandbadnewsworld.proforums.org/viewtopic.php?p=5#5

#69 Posted: 25/11/2010 - 16:31

• Dilligaf

Joined Travelfish
    27th November, 2010

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/208409/red-shirt-warns-of-coup-in-december
    Red-shirt warns of coup in December

The country is at risk of facing military coup as there are conditions that could lead to a military coup in December, Sombat Boonngamanong, core leader of Red Sunday group, warned on Saturday.
    Mr Sombat pointed out that the Constitution Court is likely to give its ruling on the Democrat Party dissolution case on Monday and the court’s decision will lead to social conflict, no matter it goes for or against the ruling party.
    In addition, the move to withdraw bail of Puea Thai list MP and co-leader of the red-shirt people group Jatuporn Prompan by the Department of Special Investigation would also create negative consequence, he added.
    Moreover, planned mass rally against the endorsement of three reports emerging from meetings of the Thai-Cambodian Joint Boundary Commission, on Dec11, by the People’s Alliance for Democracy could turn violent, Mr Sombat said.
    Due to these conditions, it is a possibility that there could be a coup next month, he said.

Interesting times ahead perhaps? Add the poor health of the King into the mix and things could get problematic in the LOS over the next few months.

#70 Posted: 28/11/2010 - 06:36

• 3sdlawson

Joined Travelfish
    2nd December, 2010

Thailand, some places are safe some are not. Check it out.
    http://thailandbadnewsworld.proforums.org/viewtopic.php?p=5#5

#71 Posted: 2/12/2010 - 19:14

• errik

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2010

useful link. thanks

#72 Posted: 3/12/2010 - 17:12

• wiriya

Joined Travelfish
    26th May, 2011
    Location Thailand

Posted from within Vietnam.

this link very good information

#73 Posted: 26/5/2011 - 10:38

• Notlih

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2011

Just wondering what the risks are for a couple travelling from Phuket to Bangkok via car or motorcycle? March 2012?

Anyway advise will be greatly appreciated.

#74 Posted: 12/7/2011 - 09:43

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Watch Thai drivers - that's your high risk factor. Let's just say they have their own idea of what the rules of the road are, and those ideas are not legally codified. So drive with caution and assume other drivers are either drunk or stupid and you won't be disappointed.

#75 Posted: 12/7/2011 - 11:23

• BennieB

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2011

What you need to do is to get yourself a Thai guide there are many young Thai people who are interested in learning about the world from foreigners and show them around. When you travel like this you will avoid going into dangerous places and also be able to stick to your budget as locals will know where to buy / rent for cheap

#76 Posted: 16/11/2011 - 03:11

• strangeguy

Joined Travelfish
    15th November, 2011
    Location Lebanon

we are traveling to thailand in decembre for new years eve , can any one tell me is it safe to go there becoze of the floods ? and anyone knows wt about touristiques places if it's closed like dream park and the zoo ? anyhelpp ?

#77 Posted: 17/11/2011 - 20:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.