Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Should I go or should I stay?

• juliaregis

Joined Travelfish
    29th October, 2008

I was one hour away from Bangkok Tuesday night and got diverted to HK. Then sent back to Tokyo (I'm not pleased with NWA).

Some reports say airport will open Sat. at 6pm.

Do those of you "in the know" think this will actually happen?

I'm in the Tokyo airport with a flight home to Portland and I am seriously conflicted.

help!

#1 Posted: 28/11/2008 - 11:36

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I'd say it is extremely unlikely, nigh on impossible that the airports will be operating again by Sat 6pm. Your best bet would be to arrange flight into an alternative port - eg Kuala Lumpur or Singapore and then head into southern Thailand with a budget carrier.

Probably not what you want to hear, I'm sure, but it's very likely matters will get worse before they get better. I've talked to friends who have been at the airport for the last couple of days, and they're saying the protesters are adamant they won't be leaving without a fight...

#2 Posted: 28/11/2008 - 13:03

• ChangFai

Click here to learn more about ChangFai
    Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2007
    Location Thailand

Rumour mill has the protesters being cleared out this afternoon but .....?

Surely it would take them two days further to tidy up and do security checks ?

Sitting here listening to plenty of flights taking off from U-Tapao thi morning .

#3 Posted: 29/11/2008 - 09:08

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

Please bear in mind that once the airport has been cleared, it will be sometime before it is declared "safe" (i.e. bombs, sabotage etc)for international flights. This has to be approved by the international flight authorities etc....this won't happen in hours ...days maybe?

#4 Posted: 1/12/2008 - 09:39

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Latest reports I've head are AOT saying a week to get the airport back up to speed once the PAD bugger off.

Not good news.

#5 Posted: 1/12/2008 - 13:49

• daflj

Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2008
    Total reviews: 4

This may seem extreme somtam, but I'm due to fly into Bangkok in March. Do you and your contacts think this will be over by then or are PAD going to be there for the long haul.

Given the importance of tourist money I find it difficult to believe that they'll still be there in 4 months' time but is it worth me changing my flight arrangements?

#6 Posted: 1/12/2008 - 15:22

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Let me put it this way -- if the PAD are still blockading the airports this coming March, it's very unlikely Travelfish will still be in business!

They've been at it for well over a year so it's certainly plausible they'll still be carrying on next March, but I'd say the airport blockades will be long gone by then -- don't change your flights -- not yet anyway ;-)

#7 Posted: 1/12/2008 - 15:32

• daflj

Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2008
    Total reviews: 4

I'll buy a couple more guides now then, because I'd hate to miss out ;)

Once again many thanks somtam, you and your website have made this first-time trip so much less scary!

#8 Posted: 1/12/2008 - 15:46

• nikita600f

Joined Travelfish
    28th May, 2008
    Location Netherlands

Hi everybody! I'm leaving next Tuesday to Bangkok (if my flight isn't cancelled). Does anybody have a link for me to the latest news in Bangkok? I'm situated in Holland, and the news is very summarily here...

thanks!

#9 Posted: 1/12/2008 - 18:41

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

Just google in "bangkok post" - sorry don't have the link to hand.

#10 Posted: 2/12/2008 - 09:32

• Advertisement

• jungleland

Joined Travelfish
    30th October, 2008

The airport is still in the hands of PAD, if they moved today the place wont open for, at the very least, 5 days. www.bangkokpost.com

#11 Posted: 2/12/2008 - 15:00

• lodesafun

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2006

There are other ways besides Flying to get in to bangkok. Singapore has a direct Train, theres buses
    over land from Cambodia. Thailand it self is still safe for tourist.
    With a bit of out of the box thinking anyone should still be able to get here.

#12 Posted: 2/12/2008 - 15:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.