Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Ive been firedf rom my job for this trip- so I need to make it worth it!

Posted by Haych on 3/12/2008 at 09:45

Hey guys,

Firstly this site rocks on so many levels, so informative and great to see everyone giving their advice.

Im heading around Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam and have posted my itinerary below. I want to make this trip with my partner amazing. Not only see sites that has made these countries famous, but also I want to experience them in a way which not many ppl see.

Any help or suggestions would be great. I dont know how long to spend in most places, but Ive guessed.

Cheers Guys

DAY WHERE
1 Fly into Phuket go Surin Beach
2 Surin Beach
3 Surin Beach
4 Phi Phi
5 Phi Phi
6 Phi Phi
7 Phi Phi
8 Koh Tao/samui?
9 Koh Tao/samui?
10 Koh Tao/samui?
11 Bangkok
12 Bangkok
13 Bangkok
14 Chiang Mai
15 Chiang Mai (hills)
16 Chiang Mai (hills)
17 Hanoi
18 Sapa
19 Sapa
20 Sapa
21 Halong Bay
22 Halong Bay
23 Hue
24 Hoi An
25 Hoi An
26 Doc Let Beach
27 Doc Let Beach
28 Nha Trang
29 Ho Chi Minh City
30 Mekong River
31 Phnom Penh
32 Phnom Penh
33 Siem Reap
34 Angkor Wat
35 Angkor Wat
36 Koh Chang
37 Koh Chang
38 Koh Chang
39 Fly out from Bangkok

#1 Haych has been a member since 15/10/2008. Posts: 4

Posted by mic59 on 4/12/2008 at 19:02

You might want to see if you can spend your last day or two in Kanchanaburi. The Death Railway, Two Pagodas Pass, the war museum, the allied and Chinese cemeteries. Also some of the best accomodation, guesthouses on rafts. It will be easy to arrange a minibus to take you to the airport, there will be adverts for this all along the main backpacker enclave on Menem Kwai Rd.

#2 mic59 has been a member since 30/7/2008. Posts: 107

Posted by Haych on 5/12/2008 at 06:03

Thanks Mic

Reckon that would be a goer. Rather than just doing a day trip up through there and back down to Bangkok, do you think its worth going up there and keep going through up to Chiang Mai? Is there anyway we can connect onto the train that leaves from Bangkok? Ive heard that the train is quite scenic..

Cheers

#3 Haych has been a member since 15/10/2008. Posts: 4

Posted by somtam2000 on 5/12/2008 at 07:59 admin

The train lines to Kanchanaburi and Chiang Mai are different routes, so you'd need to either return to Bangkok to get the train north or take a bus from Kanchanaburi to say Ayutthaya where you can jump onto a northbound train.

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Jon_Mak_Mak on 5/12/2008 at 17:27

Hi, I would deff try to fit in Kanchanaburi and Ayutthaya - Great places!

One thing I would change with your itinerary is skip on Samui. Only becuase its not going to be a great deal different from Phuket and if you use the time to see another part of Thialand it should be much more worth it. (dont get me wrong Sumui is great on its own)

I would also recommend more days in Chang Mai and Angkor Wat.

Don't try to fit EVERYthing into such a tight itinerary. You will probably find you love some places and wished you had more time there.

#5 Jon_Mak_Mak has been a member since 21/2/2007. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 464
 Website 

Posted by Haych on 8/12/2008 at 17:35

Thanks for all the great advice. have since changed my itinerary to fit in Kanchanburi and Ayutthaya. Also have dropped nha trang out as well to give me more time in angkor wat, saigon and the mekong (have heard pretty disappointing reviews). im tempted to explore around southern vietnam in and around the mekong. recommended? or do i just need to walk away and be happy with what ive set? haha

#6 Haych has been a member since 15/10/2008. Posts: 4

Posted by Jon_Mak_Mak on 13/12/2008 at 18:13

Walk away and be happy! lol

Good move on K-buri and Ayutthaya. As long as you get up early and go to bed late you might fit it all in. :)

#7 Jon_Mak_Mak has been a member since 21/2/2007. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 464
 Website 

Posted by travelrock on 16/12/2008 at 09:27

too many places for mine

easy to spend 40 days just in thailand and that's what i would do

if you want culture ISSAN is very low on tourists and high on culture - better than visiting touristy places in vietnam or cambodia. angkor wat is owned by a crook so i wouldnt visit there. you can visit kymer ruins in issan at phimai and phanom rung, burilam

#8 travelrock has been a member since 19/4/2008. Posts: 209

Posted by Jon_Mak_Mak on 18/12/2008 at 21:35

Wouldnt skip Angkor myself but why is it owned by a crook? lol!

Kao phanom rung is great! Also, prasta mung tam. (think thats right of the top of my head)

#9 Jon_Mak_Mak has been a member since 21/2/2007. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 464
 Website 

Posted by travelrock on 18/12/2008 at 22:23

well known that angkor wat is owned by a crook

gee some travellers are naive

#10 travelrock has been a member since 19/4/2008. Posts: 209

Posted by Jon_Mak_Mak on 18/12/2008 at 23:00

What? Fuck off.

All I am asking is why its owned by a crook. Don't call me a naive just because you might know somthing I don't.

Ive been in alot of places in Thailand owned by mafia btw,

;(

#11 Jon_Mak_Mak has been a member since 21/2/2007. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 464
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.