Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand .... advice

• clb76

Joined Travelfish
    21st September, 2008

I’ll be traveling to Thailand Dec 21-Jan 5. First Bangkok and then on to Chiang Mai…. From there I’ll be in Koh Samui for NYE …..

Any suggestions on what things I must see and do in BKK and Chiang Mai??

HOw many days should I stay in BKK and are there days trips I should take from there?

Any recommendations on places to stay ($30 or so)??

I would love to take a cooking class and mediation class while in Chiang Mai... and recommendations?

I'm staying at 3 Sis Bed and Breakfast.... anyne stayed there?

Thanks for any and all advice!!

#1 Posted: 4/12/2008 - 08:45

• Advertisement

• Thaiman

Click here to learn more about Thaiman
    Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

If you've never been to Bangkok then the usual things are well worth seeing.The King's Palace,Wat Arun and a trip on the Chao Phraya river plus the canals of Thonburi are all good value.Perhaps spread over 2 days.A day trip to Kanchanaburi is possible but overnight is probably better.The Bridge,War Cemetry and a trip to the Elephant village,Namtok etc are good.If time allows a trip on the train along the Death Railway is excellant.Can't really give much info on Chiang Mai.Hope this helps.

#2 Posted: 4/12/2008 - 12:07

• thaiyaikit

Joined Travelfish
    20th September, 2008

List of places for first time visitors in Chiangmai:

National Museum on the Superhighway - in a one hour visit you will have a very good insight into the history of Chiangmai and its historical importance.

Wat Jet Lod is about 300 metres from the National Museum and is one of the oldest temples. Architecture is influenced by India and Sri Lanka and different from most others.

A trip to the temple at the top of Doi Suthep is a must. The temple has a fascinating history and the views over the city from the temple courtyard are stunning.

If you are in Chiangmai over a weekend a visit to Walking Street Market (Near Thapae Gate) on Sunday afternoons/evenings is well worth a look - lots of handicraft goods and you know the prices are right because you will see lots of locals buying stuff. An alternative market is Warawot Market (near US Counsel building along the River Ping). You can buy almost anything, again at local prices.

Outside Chiangmai, try the Flight of the Gibbon - and experience zip-lining through a rain forest. Very interesting experience!

Take a day trip (or overnight) to Doi Tung - the scenery is out of this world and at the top of the mountain is the King's Mother's winter residence which you can visit as well as the gardens - absolutely stunning.

#3 Posted: 4/12/2008 - 20:35

• clb76

Joined Travelfish
    21st September, 2008

Thanks everyone for the advice!! Very helpful!

#4 Posted: 4/12/2008 - 21:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.