admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

The Thai immigration authorities have announced a change to the visa-free entry programme effective immediately.

The 30-day visa free arrival is ONLY AVAILABLE if you are arriving in Thailand by air.

If you arriving by land, you will be given ONLY 15 DAYS.

This is being applied at all border crossings into and out of Thailand.

The purported target of the rule change is (yet again) foreigners working illegally in Thailand on the 30-day pass, but in effect it is going to punish legitimate tourists and travellers coming to Thailand. The rule change is ill considered, and taking into account the ongoing debacle regarding stranded tourists etc, plainly stoooopid.

If you were planning on travelling through Thailand using land borders and the 30-day pass system, you need to reconsider, and most likely, arrange a tourist visa (or a multiple entry tourist visa).

#1 Posted: 4/12/2008 - 13:12

• Advertisement

• Thaiman

Click here to learn more about Thaiman
    Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

I agree,completely stupid.Will turn even more tourists away.We usually come for longer than the 30 days,slip across to Laos or Cambodia and then get another 30 day visa on re-entry.Will have to look for cheap flights now.

#2 Posted: 4/12/2008 - 14:28

• TheSnowQueen

Joined Travelfish
    16th October, 2006

Well that completely screws up our plans! Currently in Northern Laos but meeting two lots of friends end December and early-Feb. Was all carefully timed and based on visiting Southern Laos in between. Will be crossing into Thailand in a couple of weeks from Huay Xai. Is it possible to get a multiple entry visa from there?

#3 Posted: 4/12/2008 - 22:19

• kohmaakisla-
    nd

Joined Travelfish
    16th September, 2008

Does still the 3 times in six month rule apply for 15 days?

#4 Posted: 5/12/2008 - 06:44

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

TheSnowQueen: No, you will not be able to get a tourist visa in Huay Xai. Closest place will be either Vientiane, where there is a Thai embassy, or Savannakhet, where there is a consular office. Note not all Thai embassies issue the dual entry tourist visa -- you may have to get individual visas for each entry.

kohmaakisland: I don't know. There's a long discussion regarding this on ThaiVisa and the consensus seems to be the new regulations are vague on this point. You can wade through that discussion here.

#5 Posted: 5/12/2008 - 07:39

• gcampion

Joined Travelfish
    8th December, 2008

We were told by the Thai embassy in Phnom Penh that if you have proof of an onward flight they will give you 30 days at the border (they said they would accept a flight from Singapore to Australia). We will wait and see if this is true as we cross on Sunday.

#6 Posted: 8/12/2008 - 17:17

• bigpaul65

Joined Travelfish
    27th October, 2008
    Location Australia

Obviosly this directive may not have filtered through to the land border crossing or they have the 'freedom'to decide on the spot! I entered from Cambodia on the 8th of December at Had Lek and was given 30 days free. Of course my passport showed that I had just spent 1 week in Cambodia and 4 weeks in Vietnam and had not been to Thailand before so obviously I am not a visa 'runner'which they are trying to target.

#7 Posted: 10/12/2008 - 13:19

• gregandsteph

Joined Travelfish
    11th December, 2008

PLEASE HELP!!

We've planned a rtw trip and aren't 100% certain how these changes affect us.

We're flying into Bangkok during January but will fly out again to Hanoi the very next morning. We then re-enter Thailand over a month later through the Laos border (Chiang Khong)for 17 days, leaving overland into Malaysia for flight from Singapore.

My understanding is;
    - When we land initially we just get a normal 30 day visa even though we're only using 1 day of it.

- We get a 15 day visa when we cross back in from Laos.

- For the last 2 days we can still do a visa run to Kanger as we'll be in and around Hat Yai anyway.

Is this all correct? The only thing we don't have is a ticket out of Thailand because we're flying from Singapore, does this matter in our visa application?

Thanks

Gregandsteph

#8 Posted: 11/12/2008 - 02:06

• bigpaul65

Joined Travelfish
    27th October, 2008
    Location Australia

gregandsteph, you may be better off just paying the $45aud for a single entry tourist visa to cover you for the 17 days of touring as it will probably cost you as much to do a visa run anyway and just get a transit visa (free) for the first entry. alternatively maybe change your flight to hanoi and other travel plans back two days or more and do some of your thailand sightseeing on the first entry and then you will able to finish and exit within the 15 days of second transit visa.

#9 Posted: 11/12/2008 - 09:50

• JePe

Joined Travelfish
    5th December, 2008

Hi all,

We are planning a part of our trip from Luang Prabang to Chiang Mai via a slow boat trip to Huay Xai in Laos. We were then planning to go down to Chiang Mai from here crossing the border. Is there someway we can get a Thai visa for this entry along the route as until this thread we thought we could obtain it at the border.

Thanks muchly.

#10 Posted: 11/12/2008 - 13:55

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Bigpaul65 -- thanks for the report back.

gregandsteph -- another option would be to overstay two days and pay the fine, or get a 15-day extension while you're still in Thailand. This is easily done in Bangkok, you just need to set aside a couple of hours to do it. BUT as BigPaul says, it seems the new rule isn't being enforced 100%, so you may still get 30 days...

JePe -- the only place in Laos you can get a Thai visa is Vientiane of Savannakhet. So, if you're travelling through Vientiane beforehand, I'd suggest getting it there.

#11 Posted: 11/12/2008 - 17:55

• jungleland

Joined Travelfish
    30th October, 2008

I just got 30 days at the border, the reason the guy gave when i asked was that i was NOT doing a same day in out run.

#12 Posted: 14/12/2008 - 14:07

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Thanks for the report jungleland -- which border crossing was it?

Thanks

#13 Posted: 15/12/2008 - 05:11

• josh4321

Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2008

we are going from cambodia, siam reap into bangkok over land. how much and where can you get a visa extension and how much and for how long is it??

#14 Posted: 15/12/2008 - 19:24

• josh4321

Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2008

also how can we get a visa within 5 days in cambodia before arriving in thailand

#15 Posted: 15/12/2008 - 19:38

• JePe

Joined Travelfish
    5th December, 2008

Thanks for that info somtam, we weren't planning on going through Vientiane but we are in Hanoi prior to Laos so can we get a Thai visa there? If not we'll just have to modify the plans to go through Vientiane .

Just letting you know this website is awesome by the way.

JePe

#16 Posted: 16/12/2008 - 13:08

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Yes, there's a Thai embassy in Hanoi.

Glad you like the site!

#17 Posted: 17/12/2008 - 14:55

• mthomann17

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008

Does anyone know how much the penatly is?? I just crossed the border from Laos and only got 15 days but my plan is to spend 25 days. I heard that the fee was 500 Baht a day and 2000 a week. If that is the case it may not be worth it to me to waste two days to cross a border considering I didnt plan on being near any borders for the rest of my trip. Thanks for your help!!

#18 Posted: 20/12/2008 - 14:30

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi mthomann17,

Yes 500B a day, though I've not heard of 2,000B a week -- I thought it was a straight 500B/day - no discount for long overstays ;-)

Which border crossing with Laos did you cross at?

Thanks

#19 Posted: 20/12/2008 - 14:41

• amazon_blon-
    de

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008
    Total reviews: 9

Can you get a 15-day extension of the free visa in Krabi? I was under the impression (from Lonely Planet) that extensions of the free visa were only for 7 days. Thanks.

#20 Posted: 20/12/2008 - 17:39

• jungleland

Joined Travelfish
    30th October, 2008

#13 KO KONG\HAT LEK

#21 Posted: 21/12/2008 - 14:07

• Jakoviz

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2008

Could someone please help me with the following problem:

I arrived to Bangkok by plane on 16.12, getting the 30 days stamp and thus having no problem with my flight back home on the 11.1. But, now that I came to visit Cambodia for a few days and will be going back to Thailand tomorrow (23.12) across the land border Poipet-Aranyaprathet, I am wondering if they allow me to entry.

That is to say, did my 30 days stamp expire, when I stepped to the Cambodian side? Are they strict with seeing the departure tickets on this border crossing? Actually, I was supposed to continue to Malaysia by train on 2.1. but I don't have any kind of proof to show them.

Thanks for any quick replies

#22 Posted: 22/12/2008 - 12:39

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Jakoviz,
    You should be given another 30-day entry stamp as you'll be arriving by air. If you were entering Thailand by land, you'd get only 15 days.

Hope that helps

#23 Posted: 22/12/2008 - 13:46

• Jakoviz

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2008

Not exactly...

My question is:
    Is the entry permit of 30 days (that I got 16.12) still valid, although I did a few days trip to Cambodia and now return to Thailand by land?

#24 Posted: 22/12/2008 - 14:28

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Oh sorry, I misread your message, I was distracted banning spammers.

Once you left Thailand, the original 30-day visa free stay is finished. When you re-enter, via a land crossing, you'll be given 15 days only. If you need longer than that, you'll need to either get a proper Thai tourist visa (in Phnom Penh), or extend the 15 day visa (for either 15 or 7 days -- the news rules are not clear on this) at am immigration office in Thailand.

#25 Posted: 22/12/2008 - 14:33

• Jakoviz

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2008

Ok, thanks.

Do you think it's impossible to convince the officers that we are leaving to Malaysia by land within these 15 days, although we don't have any tickets booked? If not, do you have any idea where to get such tickets (train, ferry, bus). We tried to look for them, but didn't find any quick online tickets (we cross the border to Thailand tomorrow).

#26 Posted: 22/12/2008 - 14:43

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

The onwards ticket thing has always been enforced hapharardly -- the rule was introduced in an attempt to catch serial visa overstayers. If you're a legitimate traveller/tourist I wouldn't expect any problems -- afterall you can get from the PoiPet border to the Malay border by train in a couple of days, so 15 days is certainly credible.

I wouldn't worry about it, but if you're really concerned, buy the cheapest AirAsia ticket you can find to anywhere out of Thailand, but honestly, I'd say it's not worth the trouble.

Hope that helps

#27 Posted: 22/12/2008 - 14:53

• fivesilver

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2008
    Total reviews: 7

I'm wondering about multiple entries.

Our plan is to fly into BKK and stay about 4 weeks. We'll enter a second time (probably at Koh Kong) after spending 10-12 weeks around Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia.

We then plan to go down to Langkawi for a few days before coming back to BKK (third entry) to catch our flight to Melbourne.

Is there a potential problem with making these three separate entries in around four-and-a-half months?

#28 Posted: 28/12/2008 - 20:43

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi filesilver,
    No, shouldn't be a problem, but when you enter via Ko Kong and Malaysia (assuming later is by land) you'll only be granted 15 days for each stay in Thailand. If you need more you'll need to get a tourist visa.

#29 Posted: 29/12/2008 - 06:04

• fivesilver

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2008

Thanks somtam2000 - we can plan around that, no problem.

#30 Posted: 30/12/2008 - 02:21

• bex_nz00

Joined Travelfish
    5th January, 2007

Hi there,
    We are arriving into Bangkok at the beginning of April, and our flight out is at the beginning of July. We were planning on spending a month in Thailand (on the 30 day visa we receive) and the rest around Laos, Cambodia and VN before we fly out. Will this cause immigration any problems as we only have the 2 flights on our itinery (the flight in, and the flight out three months later). I guess it might look like we are planning on spending the whole time there with just the visa granted at the airport. Would it be safer to get a tourist visa before we leave? Thanks a lot!

#31 Posted: 31/12/2008 - 10:11

• rob65

Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2008

Hi, I arrived in Thailand by plane from Europe on November 25th 2008 and I stayed in Bkk for 4 days, before take the train to Nong Khai-Vientiane. I arrived in Laos on November 29th and stayed there 2 weeks.
    Coming back on Saturday 13th December: I crossed the Lao-Thai border at Vang Pao/Chong Mek by bus. Thai Immigration gave me a 30 days stamp on my passport.
    I believe it happened the same to the other people that were on the bus.
    Happy new year to everybody !

#32 Posted: 1/1/2009 - 07:10

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

bex_nz00 -- you should be fine, no need for a tourist visa unless you want to be 110%.
    rob65 - thanks for the report!

#33 Posted: 3/1/2009 - 07:49

• mbrouns

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2008

Hi,

We have crossed the border about 10 days ago, coming from Malaysia and plan to get back to Malaysia on Jan 11th (visa expires on the 9th).
    As we are now on Koh Phi Phi and not in the mood to loose a day, moving back and forth to Krabi we plan to move along and take our chances that the customs officer won't bully us for staying 2 days longer.

Am I right to assume, we need to pay 1,000 Bhat a person? Secondly, as our kids (aged 2 and 4) have their own passports will we need to pay fer them too?

Thanks...

#34 Posted: 3/1/2009 - 14:10

• ashleyrober-
    ts

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2009

Hi, I am new here, can anyone help me regarding the "onward ticket" problem.

I am flight from London direct to Bangkok with Thai Airlines next week one way, will stay for 30 days and then go overland to Laos, Cam and Vietnam, each for around a month.

I have no proof of onward ticket when I board in Heathrow, some of my friends tell me it is not necessary but I have read some other tourist in this forum saying different.

Can anyone shead some light please. It is my first time in Asia, I am travelling only and not going to work there.

Many Thanks

#35 Posted: 3/1/2009 - 18:13

• ashleyrober-
    ts

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2009

Ohh, another thing, my friends tell me I can just turn up in the airport without a visa and will be given a free 30 day pass. Is this true. Thanks again..

#36 Posted: 3/1/2009 - 18:15

• mainys

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2009

Hi there,

I am also new on here and would like a bit of advice. Apologies if a similar question has been covered before.

I am travelling into Bangkok from the UK on Thursday (8th Jan). I would also like to know about just turning up and getting a 30 day pass (as asked by ashleyroberts). Apart from this I am planning to leave on a 40day trip from Bangkok on 20th Jan (straight into Cambodia). I will travel from here to Vietnam, then Laos and eventually back into Thailand around the 25-27th February (to Chaiang Mai). From here I plan to be in Thailand for another month (with a flight booked out on the 28th March). Could you confirm that I will be able to enter the country for 15 days without a visa? And That I will have to gain a tourist Visa due to me staying longer than that 15 days? I presume I can sort this in a Thai embassy in Chaiang Mai or Bangkok after entering the country. Also I will not have to gain a visa on entry? Is this all correct?

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks, Rich

#37 Posted: 5/1/2009 - 02:34

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Rich,

If you re-enter Thailand overland from Laos, then you will only get a 15 day stamp. That is, unless they decide to change it yet again.

If you plan to stay for a month, then you will need to get you visa in advance.

OR, you could get a flight out of Laos. If you arrive in Thailand by air, then you get a month-long visa.

So ... arrive by land = 15 days. Arrive by air = month.

#38 Posted: 5/1/2009 - 13:18

• beckym319

Joined Travelfish
    5th January, 2009

right, so.. I am arriving in Bangkok on 3rd Feb, from there im travelling laos, vietnam and cambodia, then back into thailand and out on 4th April. A total of (i believe) 61 days. Although i wont be in Thailand for over 30 days on either occasion, i will have to get a tourist visa for 60 days as i dont plan to fly back into thailand at any point (unless its cheaper?).
    but even so, i am 1 day over so would it be best to change my flight dates?

oh my head hurts..

#39 Posted: 5/1/2009 - 20:54

• ashleyrober-
    ts

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2009

Can you tell me anything about the proof of onward travel - I have no proof of onward ticket when I board in Heathrow, some of my friends tell me it is not necessary but I have read some other tourist in this forum saying different.

Do I need proof?

#40 Posted: 5/1/2009 - 21:58

• mainys

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2009

Thanks Tilapia,

From that I gather I will have to get the visa sorted in Laos before I enter (not Bangkok or Chiang Mai). I will have a guide at some point so will get some advice from him/her! Just good to know it can be sorted out there though!

Cheers

#41 Posted: 6/1/2009 - 00:27

• ashleyrober-
    ts

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2009

Just phoned Thai Airlines in Heathrow and they have confirmed that I must show an onward ticket at check-in before I am allowed on the plane, as I have no visa but get a free 30 day pass.

#42 Posted: 6/1/2009 - 01:18

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Sorry for the late reply on these:
    mbrouns: Visa ovestay is 500B per person per day. Re your kids, I think, but I'm not 100% on this, they will not have to pay.

ashleyroberts: Seems you answered your own question, though I am surprised by the answer! It is down to the carrier, in this regard. By the book, you require an onwards ticket to get the 30-day entry, but in practise, Thai authorities are enforcing this in a very haphazard manner. Given BA's response, I'd say you've got two options -- get a real Thai tourist visa or by a cheap AirAsia ticket out of Thailand (you can tickets for almost nothing).

mainys: you can get a Thai visa in Vientiane -- there have been reports of people being granted 30days on entry overland at the Vientiane crossing -- but getting a visa is the safer approach.

Tilapia: Hey, does this mean you managed to get into Thailand once all those protesters packed up and went home?!

#43 Posted: 6/1/2009 - 07:43

• beckym319

Joined Travelfish
    5th January, 2009

and me? please..

#44 Posted: 6/1/2009 - 19:42

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Becky,

Sorry missed your question!

When you arrive in Thailand you'll be given 30-days visa free entry (I'm assuming you're flying in).

It doesn't matter how much of that 30 days you'll be in Thailand for, that's what you'll be given.

When you return from CLV, assuming you use a land crossing, you should be given another 15 days visa free. Some people have been given 30-days, but the rule says 15 days, and until there's a change, I'd work with that.

Now, assuming you're not going to be in Thailand for more than 15 days at the end, then you should be fine. However if you're going to be in for more than 15 days, I'd get a proper tourist visa -- very easy to do in both Vientiane (capital of Laos) and Phnom Penh (Cambodia).

Hope that helps!

#45 Posted: 6/1/2009 - 20:40

• beckym319

Joined Travelfish
    5th January, 2009

thanks yea that helps alot! but will we be given our 30 day visa okay when our outward flight isnt until 4th april?
    As you said, "By the book, you require an onwards ticket to get the 30-day entry, but in practise, Thai authorities are enforcing this in a very haphazard manner. "

#46 Posted: 6/1/2009 - 23:15

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

>> Tilapia: Hey, does this mean you managed to get into Thailand once all those protesters packed up and went home?!

#47 Posted: 7/1/2009 - 05:22

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

>> Tilapia: Hey, does this mean you managed to get into Thailand once all those protesters packed up and went home?!

#48 Posted: 7/1/2009 - 05:23

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Yep. The airport was really quiet. My flight from Hong Kong was, at best, 20% full. There was only one other foreigner at my GH other than myself and my cycling buddy.

Laos is feeling the fallout of what happened at the airport, though not too many people I spoke to seemed to know much about the world economic issues, and how they would have effected tourism. Some of the GH and business owners were saying that business was down by around 75%.

Vientiane and Pakse are, apparently, expanding their airports so that they can accept larger planes. I think that they don't want to have to rely on Bangkok being a transit point.

Business was picking up in Bangkok when I left, but it was still quiet compared to other years. Can't speak for the island and beach areas. Saw very few foreigners in Issan.

Cheers

(This didn't work twice)

#49 Posted: 7/1/2009 - 05:23

• jsmurf

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2008
    Total reviews: 4

I'm yet another person that's been a bit screwed by these overland crossing changes. We're in Luang Prabang at the moment, but we really need another 30 days in Thailand as our flight doesn't leave Bangkok till the 11th of Feb; unless of course we stay in Laos for another few weeks. Unfortunately almost everything from accommodation to food in Laos from the most recent guidebooks seems to have double or tripled. We need to get to Thailand to save some $$$. Does anyone have any idea how long it takes (on average) to get a visa processsed in Vientiane?
    Cheers

#50 Posted: 13/1/2009 - 16:11

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

jsmurf,

Two working days service at the embassy in Vientiane.

Full details are here.

#51 Posted: 14/1/2009 - 07:28

• mbrouns

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2008

Did the border crossing and... indeed 500 Baht per person per day (also for children)

BUT.... (!!!!!!!)

If you want to exceed your Thai tourist visum while staying on Koh Lipe, do not expect to be able to pay the fee on the island's immigration office. You need to get back to the main land (Satun) and pay it there.

We found out JUST in time and saved ourselves the hassle of making a last minute detour (with children) and most probably miss our prebooked 1st class train ticket.

#52 Posted: 14/1/2009 - 13:47

• amazon_blon-
    de

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008

we just did a visa run from Krabi to Malaysia via mini-van. We got stamped in for 15 days which *includes* the day you enter so it's really a 14 day extension. We were not asked to show proof of onward travel. (we've also flown from Sydney to BKK and Kathmandu to BKK in the last 2 months - one-way flights - and not had to show proof of onward travel.)

The trip was 1200 baht and took about 10 hours.

#53 Posted: 16/1/2009 - 18:44

• stevenrusse-
    ll

Joined Travelfish
    14th November, 2008

I know this question has probably been asked but I havent seen it,
    When in thailand and you have your 30 day visa and you need to leave the country to extend. Do you have to leave the country for how many days??[ people have been telling me 1 month, I hope that is not true}

#54 Posted: 18/1/2009 - 09:47

• amazon_blon-
    de

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008

You only have to leave the country for a minute. When we did the run, we crossed into Malaysia, and literally walked right back in to Thailand. We would have been "out" of Thailand for 5 minutes maximum. There is a rule about a maximum of 90 days in 6 months, or something like that, but it doesn't sound like you're talking about that situation, if you're going for a first extension.

#55 Posted: 18/1/2009 - 13:46

• TheBronze

Joined Travelfish
    2nd October, 2008

Hey I am flying into Bangkok on April30, planning on spending a few days there (4 or 5) before heading East to Cambodia (Siem Reap) by land.
    After some travel from Cambodia into Laos and Vietnam, we will cross the Thai border at Vientiane, and spend about 2weeks in Krabi / Ko Phangan.
    I am a Canadian citizen, so don't need the visa for 30days in Thailand, but the only proof of departure I will have will be our flights out of Thailand on the 10th of June, as I plan on booking all domestic flights (discovery pass) and busses while I am down there.
    Will this be the source of any problems on arrival at BKK?

#56 Posted: 20/1/2009 - 07:24

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

stevenrussell, amazon_blonde is on the money there -- 5 minutes is more than enough.

TheBronze, when you cross back into Thailand at Vientiane, you will only be given a 15 day entry, so if you need more than that for your island jaunt, I suggest you get a Thai tourist visa while in Vientiane.

I woldn't expect any problems on arrival at Bangkok by air -- you should be given 30 days visa free straight up.

#57 Posted: 20/1/2009 - 13:47

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Yep, Somtam is right. It doesn't matter that you're from Canada. I am as well and you'll be given exactly what I was given last month ... 15 days. if you cross back into Thailand overland. Also, I would be surprised if you were asked to show proof of onward travel. Not once has anyone, ever, asked me for that.

#58 Posted: 21/1/2009 - 04:29

• BlakeTompki-
    ns

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2009

Ok Ok Ok

Try this one

I am Flying to BKK on Feb 25th, coming home April 23, and have a 60 day tourist visa

no problem

What if I go to Laos a couple weeks into my trip? When I return by foot, will I only be granted 15 more days, or get to finish my original 60.
    Thank peeps!

#59 Posted: 21/1/2009 - 08:34

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

BlakeTompkins,

Once you leave Thailand for Laos, your visa is finished -- UNLESS -- you have a multiple entry tourist visa.

If your visa is single entry, you'll need to either re enter for just 15 days on a visa-free-entry or get a new tourist visa while you're in Laos (suggest in Vientiane or Savannakhet ).

#60 Posted: 22/1/2009 - 07:23

• BlakeTompki-
    ns

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2009

Well that isnt good news, but I will just change plans and visit Laos later in my trip. you seem to know you south east asia Somtam, thanks for the reply

#61 Posted: 22/1/2009 - 12:25

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

I'm in Chiang Mai and have talked to different people lately that say they received 90 day visas at the embassys in Vientiane and one of the southern countries. Sorry but can't remember the other one. Only at the embassys though and not at the border.
    Also I have never been asked for a ticket out of this country.

#62 Posted: 29/1/2009 - 13:39

• Kacenka

Joined Travelfish
    7th February, 2009

Hello,

i have a similar question regarding visa to Thailand. I want to fly from London to Bangkok in couple of days and stay there for 30 days. As i have a Czech passport i found that for me there is the 15 days visa on arrival rule(cant get "proper" visa in advance from the embassy in my country as i live in London). If i leave the country after 15 days (e.g. to Malaysia), do i get automatically the extension for another 15 days as well? Will there be a problem with my return ticket (after 30 days) from Bangkok when i apply for 15 days visa once i land in Bangkok?

I am really confused and dont want to get into troubles :-(

Thank you very much,
    Katka

#63 Posted: 7/2/2009 - 20:51

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Katka,

Yes, you should be entitled to a 15-day visa on arrival when you land at Bangkok (fee is 1,000B I believe).

If you then go to Malaysia and re-enter then you should get another 15-day visa on arrival (for another 1,000B). Though if you were heading to Malaysia, you may want to try and get a Thai tourist visa in Penang...

Re your return ticket being later than 15 days, as long as you're a legitimate tourist, I wouldn't expect it to be a problem -- if they kick up a fuss, tell them you're going to Malaysia for a month etc...

Hope that helps

#64 Posted: 9/2/2009 - 07:16

• Kacenka

Joined Travelfish
    7th February, 2009

Hi :-)

Thank you for your reply. Yesterday i found someones message on a czech blog who had problems with return ticket date after 20 days and getting the 15 days visa on arrival. That scared me a bit so this morning i booked a one way flight from Krabi to Kuala Lumpur for the 14th day of being in Thailand (the cheapest one i found) and hope i will be safe to prove i am gonna leave Thailand just in case they have problems with the date. So excited, flight is in 21 hours :-) will let you know how it went!

Katka

#65 Posted: 9/2/2009 - 07:38

• pilinka

Joined Travelfish
    9th February, 2009

Does it matter that i will be landing in Thailand in Phuket? Will they issue the thirty day visa there? Thanks in advance!

#66 Posted: 10/2/2009 - 13:32

• amazon_blon-
    de

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008

Pilinka, it shouldn't matter where you land, as long as you arrive by air. And, technically, it's not a 30-day "visa" you receive, but a 30-day visa free permit. It's slightly different (legally) than the visa on arrival that you get when you arrive in Laos or Cambodia, and that's why you can't really get much of an extension. Cheers.

#67 Posted: 11/2/2009 - 14:42

• AK2000

Joined Travelfish
    13th February, 2009

Guys, I've been reading all the threads, but just wanted to make 100% of this one...
    We'll be arriving in Bangkok by air, get the 30-day visa and spend about 3 weeks in Northern Thailand before doing Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia. After these 3 countries, we then want to return to Thailand, but for more than 15 days.
    Somtam, you've repeated quite a few times that "If your visa is single entry, you'll need to either re enter for just 15 days on a visa-free-entry or get a new tourist visa". BUT if I FLY into Thailand again on my second visit, would I then AGAIN get a 30 day visa at the airport?

I'd really appreciate any quick responses. Thanks a lot!

#68 Posted: 13/2/2009 - 04:35

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi AK2000,

If you fly back into Thailand, then yes, you will get another 30 days.

BUT, if you're not set on flying, and you're travelling through Cambodia anyway, stop at the Thai consulate in Phnom Penh and get a proper tourist visa -- then you can overland into Thailand and you'll get two months.

#69 Posted: 13/2/2009 - 08:32

• Travel2008

Joined Travelfish
    29th December, 2008

A few people have mentioned getting 14 day visa extensions at consulates in Thailand. Is this true?
    Can we get the extensions even without extenuating circumstances?
    We have heard there is a consulate on Koh Samui, are there any others in this area?
    Thanks

#70 Posted: 13/2/2009 - 11:13

• rehbrad

Joined Travelfish
    28th January, 2009

Hi

Can someone please give me some advice about the visas i will require for my trip, im so confused.

I fly into Thailand from Malaysia (with no onward ticket), i will then spend about a month travelling through Thailand, eventually ending up in Nong Khai. I will then be crossing the border via the friendship bridge into Laos (with no onward ticket). I will stay in Laos for about 2 - 3 weeks, then fly to Vietnam, stay for about 3 weeks, then fly into Cambodia (with no onward ticket) and again stay for about 3 weeks. I will then fly back into Thailand and stay for about 2 weeks then fly home to Australia.

I have looked into applying for a tourist visa for Thailand so i am able to stay for more than 30 days on my first entry, but when i looked at the application form it requires proof (itinerary) of onward travel to be sent in with my application.

Also, i understand that i will need to apply for my Visa for Vietnam before arrival, can i do this in Bangkok, and how long does the visa last from date of issue? Do i need an onward ticket booked when applying for my Vietnamese visa?

Sorry this is so long, but i would really appreciate some HELP!!

Thank you

#71 Posted: 15/2/2009 - 10:10

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Travel2008 - I think you mean immigration offices -- they're dotted across the country. In the bigger tourist centres (eg Samui) you should be able to get a single extension, but if you entered on a 15-day one, you'll only get a 7 day extension. I think the 30-day ones get 14 days, but I'm not sure about that. No need for special circumstances.

rehbrad - I'm assuming you're on an Australian passport.

1) If you're not staying in Thailand more than 30-days the first time, then you do not need a visa. Get the 30-day visa free stay thing on arrival. If you are staying more than 30 days, then get a visa, and with the application include a copy of your ticket back to Oz and a note explaining your travel planned itinerary -- absolutely should not be a problem.

2) Get your Laos visa at the border on arrival.
    3) Get your visa for Vietnam either in Bangkok, or Vientiane -- far far cheaper than getting it in Oz. No need for an onward ticket to get a visa for Vietnam.
    4) Get your Cambodian visa on arrival at the airport.
    5) When you fly back into Thailand you will be given another 30-day visa free stay - which is more than enough.

Hope that helps

#72 Posted: 16/2/2009 - 11:58

• rehbrad

Joined Travelfish
    28th January, 2009

Somtam

thank you so much for the advice. I feel alot more confident about going now!!This website is great.

Thanks again

Rehbrad

#73 Posted: 16/2/2009 - 13:14

• hamroast79

Joined Travelfish
    6th December, 2008

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi -

Can anyone help re how many times you can enter Thailand in a given period please?

We entered from China by boat in December (1st entry - stayed for 18 days).
    We then did a visa run to Myanmar extend at the end of December (2nd entry - stayed for 15 days).
    We will fly back in to BKK at the end of March (3rd entry - stay for 13 days).
    We then want to fly in again (returning from Myanmar) at the end of April but fly out to China the same day.

This will mean that we will have entered 4 times in 5 months. We figure that on the last entry at the end of April, we don't even really need to leave the airport so hopefully won't have to go through immigration, but we're not sure.

Does anyone have any idea about the rules of multiple entry? We are British.

Thanks.

#74 Posted: 18/2/2009 - 12:36

• AK2000

Joined Travelfish
    13th February, 2009

Hi,

I have just read that we need to have Confirmed tickets to leave Thailand within 30 days from the arrival date at the port of entry for our 30 day visa obtained on arrival in Thailand.

We are doing a 3.5 month loop trip of Northern Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia, after which we will return to Thailand and fly out of Bangkok.

Do you think that we will come across any problems - if so what are your suggestions.

Thanks.

#75 Posted: 10/3/2009 - 04:51

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

hamroast79 - sorry missed your question!

No problems at all - I wouldn't expect any issues entering that many times.

AK2000 - it depends on your airline. Some people are reporting that airlines are not letting "visaless" people board flights to Thailand without having an onwards ticket. In Thailand, the rule of thumb seems to be "if you are a legitimate tourist" and are planning a trip like yours, then don't expect too many problems.

If you are concerned, there are two options:
    1) Get a Thai tourist visa before you leave.
    2) Buy a cheap flight out of Thailand within the 30 days -- eg with NokAir or AirAsia -- but don't use the ticket.

Given that Thai tourist visas are free at the moment, if you've got access to a Thai embassy/consulate, the easiest solution is to just get a visa.

Hope that helps

#76 Posted: 10/3/2009 - 09:25

• Magicmouse12

Joined Travelfish
    19th March, 2009

Hi I am flying into Kuala lumpur in April for 3 days and then flying up to the islands in Thailand for approx 6-8 weeks. I know I will get a free 30 day visa when I enter Phuket by air but how can I extend this?

Thanks

#77 Posted: 19/3/2009 - 04:40

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

You can extend it at am immigration office -- that will give you 15 more days (and coat 1,800B). Otherwise you'll need to do a visa run to the malay border (or elsewhere) and that will get you 15 days.

If you can, it is cheaper and more convenient just to get a visa in advance.

#78 Posted: 21/3/2009 - 08:38

• write2us

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2005

No Visa Fees (March 6 to June 4, 2009)

Hi, just browsing the web of the Thai consulate in Hong Kong, and found this message:

http://www.thai-consulate.org.hk/ENG/ThaiConsulate/Consulate-Services/Visa/Visa%20fee.htm

Notice

All foreigners who apply for Tourist Visa at the Royal Thai Embassies and the Royal Thai Consulates-General worldwide, including eligible foreigners who apply for Visa on Arrival at designated checkpoints, will be exempted from Tourist Visa fee from 5 March to 4 June 2009. such arrangement is for Tourist Visa only

More information on Thailand’s Visa

Please Visit http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2037.php

Secondly, with regard to "onward ticket", would a railway ticket to Malaysia qualify ?

I took the Hatyai - Kuala Lumpur train last year for about US$15. You can book the ticket online and print it.
    www.ktmb.com.my/

#79 Posted: 26/3/2009 - 10:56

• jareduk

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2008
    Location United Kingdom

write2us

Not too sure about the onward ticket thing as I have seen somewhere that a booked train ticket wil suffice.

Update on the free Thai Tourist Visa, I've just sent my visa application off the the Thai Consulate in Birmingham and I got a call from them. Only your first entry is free all subsequent entries you have to pay for as normal. So a 3 entry visa would cost £56 GBP as opposed to £84.

This is off the Thai Embassy london website:

"All foreigners who apply for Tourist Visa at the Royal Thai Embassy and the Royal Thai Consulates, including eligible foreigners who apply for Visa on Arrival at designated checkpoints, will be exempted from Tourist Visa fee from 5 March to 4 June B.E. 2552(2009) Click here to read more details from Royal Thai Embassy London or from www.mfa.go.th
    Please note that the person who needs to enter more than one entry please porvides proof of travelling such as air tickets, train or bus tickets to leave Thailand"

NOTE THE LAST BIT... provide proof of travelling air train or bus!

Jared

#80 Posted: 6/4/2009 - 19:43

• bugebaby

Joined Travelfish
    5th April, 2009

Hi---My daughter and I will be trekking through Cambodia and Laos in about two weeks. How is the situation near Angor Wat now with the recent fighting at the temple on the border? Is it safe to go to Angor Wat now? Also how are things looking with the demonstrations in Bangkok? And how safe is travel for two women on the overnight train to Chaing Mai? Thanks.

#81 Posted: 10/4/2009 - 10:26

• bugebaby

Joined Travelfish
    5th April, 2009

We were thinking of doing Angor Wat and then either going to Chaing Mai or to Luang Prabang....we are only going to be there about 10 days so probably can't do both. What do you recommend? Any better ideas? First trip for both of us. Daughter has been to southern Thailand and Vietnam but not northern Thailand or Laos. Thanks.

#82 Posted: 10/4/2009 - 10:28

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

bugebaby, sorry about the late reply -- only just saw these.

Angkor it totally safe, Bangkok has settled down and no problems for an overnight train.

If you're looking at going to Thailand, Laos and Cambodia, with limited time, look into Bangkok Airway's Discovery Airpass -- it will save you money and time.

More info on it here:
    http://www.travelfish.org/feature/118

#83 Posted: 25/4/2009 - 07:42

• TheBronze

Joined Travelfish
    2nd October, 2008

Hey so I will be in SE asia this week and was wondering visa advice for the trip. Arriving by air in Bkk, staying for 5days, flying to phnom penh, working our way back to Thailand..
    We are crossing through Thailand north to Laos. So second entry into thailand.. Laos for 2weeks, than back through vientiane and will be in thailand again from about may24 to june 10. Would it be worth it to pay the fee? Do the visa run to Burma from Ranong? Pay for an extension? Thanks in advance

#84 Posted: 28/4/2009 - 07:09

• erroljohn

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009

It used to be that you could arrive in Thailand with no proof of onward travel, be granted a free 30-day entry stamp, and extend your stay indefinitely by popping over the border and back every month to renew your entry stamp. This is no longer the case. You are still able to do up to two visa runs, extending your stay up to a maximum of 90 days, but the next time you leave the country you will not be permitted to return for a further 90 days.

Because you now have to have proof of onward travel within 30 days to even be issued with one of these entry stamps, visa runs are also fairly pointless except to allow short-term travelers to visit neighboring countries without too much red tape.

#85 Posted: 18/5/2009 - 14:46

• sidewinder

Joined Travelfish
    11th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

I realise this has probably been answered in a combination of different posts, and Im fairly sure what I need to do but I'll double check.

Im flying into Bangkok on 28th June. I'll get my 30 days then.
    After a few days I was planning to travel overland into Cambodia
    On my return into Thailand I will only get 15 days...but I want to spend more like 21 there before entering Malaysia.

The least hassle option is probably to get a tourist visa before I go?

However, at the end of my trip I will be flying back from Oz into KL, then from KL back to BK from which Ill fly home. I should get another 30 days on arrival then, but if I had taken out a single entry tourist visa for the 21 days, would that take precedence over the 30 day waiver? eg would I be making my second entry and thus my visa be invalid?

#86 Posted: 18/5/2009 - 18:47

• Habana13

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Hi, I'm new to this too. Sorry to flog a dead donkey, but I'm finding it hard to get my head around the Visa situation. I'm flying into Bangkok from London in June, and flying out again 84 days later. In this time, I will probably leave Thailand 2 or 3 times to go to Lau/Cambodia etc. Would be most grateful if you could advise me as to what needs to be done Visa wise. Muchos gratias x

#87 Posted: 18/5/2009 - 18:54

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

sidewinder: While you are in Cambodia, go to the Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh and get a tourist visa. When you leave Thailand to continue to Oz, the visa is finished -- regardless of how much of it you have used. So when you come back, via KL, you'll get another 30 days (I'm assuming you're flying KL to Bangkok -- if you're overlanding you'll only get 15 days). If you need more than 15 days on the return jaunt through Thailand, get a visa in KL or Penang.

Habana13: At 87 posts, the donkey is well and truly flogged! You're question is more complex than sidewinder's -- you'll get 30 days on arrival, and then 15 days each time you reenter from a neighbouring country. If you need more than 15 days on any re-entry, get a tourist visa (easy to get in Laos, Cambodia and Malaysia), More questions -- the donkey's waiting ;-)

#88 Posted: 18/5/2009 - 19:04

• Habana13

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Okay, I'm with you so far! So, imagine that I enter Thailand with a 30 day visa obtained in England and the immigration authorities then see that my return tflight leaves 84 days later, will they have legitimate grounds for giving me a hard time/not letting me in?x

#89 Posted: 18/5/2009 - 20:03

• sidewinder

Joined Travelfish
    11th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Thanks somtam, fairly straightforward then :)

#90 Posted: 18/5/2009 - 20:48

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Habana13 - in theory they could give you a hard time, but as long as you've got a ticket back, in practice I wouldn't expect any problems. It's a very common situation you're in, and, as long as you're a legitimate tourist, I wouldn't worry about it.

sidewinder: Yes -- you'd think in these crazy times Thailand would streamline their visa regulations, but no luck in that regard. As per Habana13, your plan is not at all uncommon -- so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

And on that note, I'm hitting the hay before this thread stretches out to 100 posts!

#91 Posted: 18/5/2009 - 22:10

• petite2fleu-
    rs

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hello

I'm travelling to Bangkok and plan to stay there jsut over 15 days. So I need to get either a tourist visa or extend my visa? What if I can prove that I will be leaving in under 30 days? I will be arriving in Bangkok on June 10th but I have an airplane ticket leaving Ho Chi Minh City on July 6th. So of course I have to leave by then. Will they just give me a 30 day visa on the land entry then? I'm coming in from Siem Reap in Thailand.

Thanks

#92 Posted: 30/5/2009 - 16:32

• smkuchta

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2007

Petite2Fleurs: There are no 30 day visas anymore coming overland regardless of what flights you have.

You can get up to a 7 day extension for 1900baht but that is all. The only other option is to get a visa ahead of time at a thai embassy or consulate, this is good for 60 days.

#93 Posted: 31/5/2009 - 14:58

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Always liking to keep matters interesting, according to ThaiVisa, and confirmed by the Immigration Bureau, the visa regulations have again changed!

###
    It is important to note, that this change is not specifically targetting tourists, but rather serial overstayers who are abusing the 15-day rule.
    ###

To quote ThaiVisa:
    "A foreigner who has entered the kingdom four (4) consecutive times on 15 days tourist exemption stamps, will not be allowed to leave the country and re-enter Thailand. The only option is to exit Thailand and re-enter via an international airport, which will allow a further 30 day stay."

You can read the full thread, with comments, here.

The simple thing to do, is, GET A THAI TOURIST VISA!

Questions -- ask away!

#94 Posted: 1/6/2009 - 19:30

• unfit

Joined Travelfish
    3rd June, 2009

We want to leave for Thailand on or around June 20, from the US, and stay for 2 months or so. Trying to decide if we should get tourist visas or do a country hop by plane half way through.

Do we have enough time to get tourist visas if we go that way? And if so, what would be the best way to do it?

Also, if we have the tourist visas and do decide to border hop and check out some other countries, will it be more difficult? Things I've read about having to carry copies and surrender original documents sound sketchy.

#95 Posted: 3/6/2009 - 05:42

• sidewinder

Joined Travelfish
    11th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Another quick question - to save me having to get a visa in Phnom Penh, if I get a single entry tourist visa now, would I be allowed to 'save' it for my second entry into Thailand?

#96 Posted: 4/6/2009 - 16:32

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

unfit: if you're going to arrive visaless and do a country hop half way through you'll be fine. On arrival you will be given 30-days. After that when you fly out and return again by air, you'll be given another thirty days.

That said, it will be cheaper, and probably more convenient to get a tourist visa before you leave -- then you won't need to leave after a month.

As soon as you leave Thailand, your visa is finished. Not sure what you mean about things getting more difficult.

sidewinder: I'm not sure if they'll let you "save" a visa like that. If you're going to be in Phnom Penh anyway it's no big deal to get a tourist visa there.

#97 Posted: 5/6/2009 - 08:47

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

SomTam

Shouldn't this post be moved to the Visa's & Borders link?

Cheers

#98 Posted: 6/6/2009 - 13:45

• phili

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

somtam2000 you seem to know your stuff....... so.......

on 11th of November i am traveling from London to Bangkok (by air obviously) so firstly how do i get my free 30 days visa?

but mainly my question is, from the 18th to the 27th of november i was planning on traveling to Laos and cambodia? then back to thai till around the 20th of december. So basically what will i need to do visa wise to avoid penalties??

Also don't suppose anyone one knows the best way to get from Laos to Cambodia? heard the boarder is hard and expensive to cross!

cheers

#99 Posted: 6/6/2009 - 21:41

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Phili

When you arrive at BKK, you will fill out a form applying for a 30 day visa (usually given to you on the aircraft). That will get you 30 days.

If you want another 30 day visa (from 27 November to 20 December), the only way is to fly from Cambodia back into Thailand.

If you don't want to fly back from Cambodia to Thailand, then 2 options exist:

1/. change your travel arrangements so that you spend more time in Thailand on the first 'leg', and plan to re-enter Thailand from Cambodia anytime from 6 December (as land entry is restricted to 15 days).

2/. Pre-purchase the applicable visa from the Thai Embassy in London. This will cost you money, but allow you to enter twice for up to 30 days at a time.

- - - -

Regarding Laos to Cambodia, I'm assuming you are referring to overland.

Here on Travelfish, your questions have already been answered. Go to:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/visabordercrossings/172_visa-and-border-crossing-news---please-read-this-before-postting-#lca

and/or

http://www.travelfish.org/feature/84

Cheers

#100 Posted: 7/6/2009 - 06:59

• phili

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

great thanks a lot for that!! Do you have a rough idea how much the thai visa from the embassy would cost?

Also thanks for the links about crossing the border to Cambodia from Laos, it mentioned doing it through travel agents instead of independently, does anyone know how easy it is to arrange that, and through who, when etc?!

Thanks
    x

#101 Posted: 7/6/2009 - 19:43

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

phili

As for the cost of a visa, ring the Thai embassy in your country and ask them.

As for the advice re travel agents and crossing between Laos & Cambodia, I suspect the advice may be dated.

This is not really the best thread to gain advice. May I suggest you go to the forum 'Visa's & Border Crossings' and make the following post...

------------

[header] Query on Laos to Cambodia border crossing

[body] The advice for here at Travelfish for the crossing between Laos and Cambodia is that the traveller should use a travel agent.

Is this still correct?

If it is still correct, can anyone advise on good travel agents, the price they charge, and anything else I might need to know.

----------

Hope this helps

Cheers

#102 Posted: 8/6/2009 - 06:15

• lm_w

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2009

ok,
    so I'm flying into Bangkok and have a return flight back home to Dubin in 34 days.
    We're planning on going to Laos about a week after we get to Bangkok so I dunno if I should get a tourist visa before I go and if I don't will we get hassle about our flight being over the 30 days even though we won't actually be in thailand for 30 days??!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!!

#103 Posted: 11/6/2009 - 02:35

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

lm_w

You'll get a 30 days visa when you arrive at BKK (this will NOT cost money).

When you depart Thailand, your 30 day visa will be cancelled.

When you enter Laos, you'll get a 30 day visa (you WILL have to pay for this).

When you depart Laos, your 30 day visa will be cancelled.

When you (re)enter Thailand, if you enter by land (or across a river), you'll get a 15 day visa (this will NOT cost you money).

If you (re)enter Thailand by air, you'll get a 30 day visa (this will NOT cost you money).

So, if you plan to re-enter Thailand by land, you MUST make sure there is 15 days or less between the time you re-enter and depart.

If you want a longer time between when you re-enter and depart, you have 2 options:

1/. re-enter by air (to an airport), or

2/. apply to the Thailand embassy in Ireland BEFORE you depart for the correct visa. This option WILL cost you money.

Hope this helps

Cheers

#104 Posted: 11/6/2009 - 08:32

• lm_w

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2009

Cool...thanks for the help!

I think we're gonna either stay longer in Laos and enter by land or else fly back in to Thailand and get another 30 days that way!!

The only problem I think we''ll have is that we won't have proof of onward travel to Laos when we initially arrive in Bangkok??

#105 Posted: 12/6/2009 - 05:17

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

lm_w

I wrote elsewhere on Travelfish that I haven't had such a problem. Never been asked, especially not for 'evidence'! In any case, I suggest you need only tell them that you are going to Laos in X days.

If you also have an email (or similar) from a Laos GH or whatever, take it with you (to show if needed) but this will only be for your own peace of mind.

Cheers

#106 Posted: 12/6/2009 - 10:18

• M_adz

Joined Travelfish
    11th June, 2009

Hi :)

Im going with my partner at the end of July from Australia to Chiang Mai for ~ 5 months. I know we will have to do a visa run but im not sure whether it would be easier to arrange the 60 day visa from Australia ($45 or thereabouts) or if we should wait and get a visa on arrival (that would be free...right?). what would you reccomend?

#107 Posted: 12/6/2009 - 11:53

• lm_w

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2009

Just wondering what you mean by Laos GH??

#108 Posted: 13/6/2009 - 02:59

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

M_adz

Call the Thai embassy in Australia and ask.

Trying to manipulate Thai restrictions may seem appealing, but if the Thai Gov't changes rules along the way, you could come unstuck (talk to the expats who did the 'run' to get another month...).

The view I take is that if you do as suggested by the Thai authorities, then there won't be any hassles. If the embassy say they can only 'issue' a 3 month visa, then you'd have to ask how you can get a double because people I've met have had 6 month visa's (but I didn't ask how).

- - - - -

lm_w

GH is shorthand for guest house.

Cheers

#109 Posted: 13/6/2009 - 05:18

• unfit

Joined Travelfish
    3rd June, 2009

Is there a way to apply for a tourist visa once I'm already in Thailand?

Will be leaving on June 30, and Tourist Visa Process times are listed at two weeks, plus mailing time. Cutting it way to close, considering they'd have my passport.

My other options seem to be:
    1)Fly to LA and apply for Visa in person - 1 day processing time
    2)Country hop by plane sometime before 30 days

One more thing: Does Thailand require any other docs for entry? Proof of immunizations, etc? Just want to be sure I'm not missing anything!

#110 Posted: 17/6/2009 - 02:04

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Unfit

You don't need a visa for Thailand if you fly in - you automatically get a 30 day visa when you complete the entry form (given to you on the plane) and you hand to the immigration entry staff.

I'm wondering whether you read:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/visabordercrossings/172_visa-and-border-crossing-news---please-read-this-before-postting-

It provides all the details you'll need.

If you are holidaying, and flying in, and have an up to date passport with 3 months 'time' left, you'll nothing more than a friendly smile.

Cheers

#111 Posted: 17/6/2009 - 06:36

• unfit

Joined Travelfish
    3rd June, 2009

Thank you for the reply. I do know about the 30 visa upon arrival. I will be staying for almost 60 days though, and will not have enough time to get a tourist visa before I leave.

Just wondering if there were any other ideas/options besides crossing back over by plane to get a second 30 day visa half way through my trip :).

#112 Posted: 17/6/2009 - 12:59

• unfit

Joined Travelfish
    3rd June, 2009

And I am gathering the answer is "no." Good excuse for a hop somewhere else interesting though. Any good value border-hop-by-plane opinions?

#113 Posted: 17/6/2009 - 13:16

• pia2am

Joined Travelfish
    22nd January, 2009
    Location Denmark

Unfit - Fly Air Asia to Phnom Penh , Cambodia stay there a few days and travel to Siem Reap and spend a few days exploring Angkor Wat. You will have to return to Phnom Penh to fly Air Asia back to Bangkok and get another 30 days visa.

#114 Posted: 17/6/2009 - 17:45

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

You know, if the immigration authorities thought about it, they would allow a 30 day extension to be acquired at their immigration offices for a fee. That's simply additional revenues to be earned the easy way without discouraging tourists to come at all.

#115 Posted: 17/6/2009 - 19:01

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

unfit

The idea from pia2am makes sense. Before 30 days, take an AirAsia flight to somewhere in the great south east and enjoy. Could be Cambodia, could be KL, etc.

Cheers

#116 Posted: 18/6/2009 - 06:19

• unfit

Joined Travelfish
    3rd June, 2009

Thank you for the suggestion of Phnom Penh! The Phnom Tamao Wildlife Rescue Center nearby looks interesting, too.

Regarding the onward ticket, and I know this has been beaten over and over. . . But, if I have a ticket returning home after 57 days, I should get my mid-trip border jump ticket before I leave to avoid any issues, yes? Would hate to get turned down at airport before my trip even begins.

From http://thai-la.net/visa/faq.htm#2
    "If your airline ticket shows more than 30 days in Thailand, you must apply for the visa before entering Thailand even if you plan to obtain an airline or rail ticket to a third country upon arrival in Thailand. If your airline ticket shows more than 30 days in Thailand and you leave without a visa to Thailand, there is a very good chance that the airline could refuse to allow you to board until you obtain a Thai visa."

#117 Posted: 18/6/2009 - 15:54

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

unfit

It doesn't matter, really.

But, if you know your dates, etc. Then there's always the advantage of buying a plane ticket at 'on sale' prices. AirAsia have a sale on right now.

Cheers

#118 Posted: 20/6/2009 - 12:31

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I'm going to lock this thread now as it's tracking well off the original topic and I'm not sure how many will burrow through 118 posts.

If you've a question about visas and border regulations, please post it in the Visa and border crossings section of the forum.

Thanks!

#119 Posted: 22/6/2009 - 15:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

This post has been locked by the moderator.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Major change in Thailand visa rules ... By somtam2000 on 10 May 2014 22 3917 2 Sep 2014