Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Penang to Krabi

• cathg

Joined Travelfish
    6th September, 2008

Hi all

Does anyone have any experience of travelling overland from Penang to Krabi? If yes, maybe you could help: What's the best way to do this - train & bus? only bus? Can it be done in one go, or would I have to do it in bits? How long approx is the journey? And is getting the visa at the border relatively simple?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 10/12/2008 - 00:01

• Advertisement

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

In Penang there are several travel agencies who specialize in arranging transportation between Malaysia and Thailand.

Backpackers often use these travel agencies. About 9 years ago I used a similar travel agency in Bangkok which moved passengers by vans and buses to Penang/Butterworth. I can't remember the name of the travel agency in Penang but there seemed to be several of them providing the same services. You might check out some places near Leith Street and Jalan Penang, my hotels were on those streets and the travel agency was not far away.

You could check with them and book a ride to Phuket and from there go to Krabi. Google "How to get from Penang to Phuket" and you will get some ideas. You can fly from Penang too - check for discount airlines flying direct to Phuket.

Good luck.

#2 Posted: 10/12/2008 - 10:32

• fondo

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2006
    Total reviews: 19
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Krabi is well south of Phuket, so I wouldn't go there. The standard way is pretty simple - by minibus to Hadyai and then connect to Krabi. This takes about a day. Maybe you can buy a through ticket in Penang, I don't know. There are plenty of minibus, backpacky type travel agents along Chulia St in Georgetown.

The train to Hadyai is possible, but takes a lot longer.

I've never had any visa problems, but note the posts suggesting that its now only 14 days at a land crossing.

#3 Posted: 11/12/2008 - 11:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Krabi, Thailand to Penang, Malaysia? ... By jenniemcmartin on 3 Jan 2009 3 15314 5 Jan 2009