Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

bangkok ot chaing mai

• basejump

Joined Travelfish
    14th November, 2008

hi

if you only had 2 and a half days in thailand would you choose to spend it in bangkok or chaing mai or split your time?

We have a stopover in thailand on the way to Luang Prabang and can either fly out of bangkok or chaing mai and could even spend a night in bangkok and two nights in chaig mai before heading into laos.
    we are traveling to LP for pii mai in april 2009 via bangkok

we currently plan to be in LP for 4 nights

we can fly to LP

#1 Posted: 15/12/2008 - 18:26

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

two and a half days isn't much time, so i'd probably spend it either one place or the other. i imagine which one would depend on if i'd been to either place already or not. if you haven't been to bangers yet, i'd spend it there. that's particularly true if you'll be arriving in thailand via a long flight and will need the time to catch up from the jet lag.

one other thing to consider, however, is that it will likely be really hot in bangkok in april. we're talking hot. so if the heat is an issue, chiang mai might be a better option for you.

then again, you could always just spend a quick overnight in bangkok and then fly directly to LP and spend the extra time there. four nights in LP isn't as much time as it sounds like on paper, and the extra time there will allow a good side trip too.

no matter which you do, because you'll be travelling through the busy pii mai season, i'd definitely make sure my transportation reservation was made well in advance and consider booking my accommodation in advance as well. cheers.

#2 Posted: 15/12/2008 - 21:01

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Great advise there from exacto! I would also pick one place and spend the time there. 2.5 days isnt enough to wast time checking out to places. I would probably just choose Bangkok.

#3 Posted: 15/12/2008 - 22:58

• travelrock

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2008
    Total reviews: 18

bangkok has more character than chiang mai and more things to do in a short time

- grand palace/national musuem
    - suan lum night bazaar
    - lumpinee boxing stadium for muay thai
    - mbk/siam paragon for shopping
    - saxophone pub for live blues music

april is very hot, apart from the first activity you can spend your time indoors or at night. bangkok comes alive at night so it's better then.

#4 Posted: 16/12/2008 - 09:17

• basejump

Joined Travelfish
    14th November, 2008

thsnks; all good advice

#5 Posted: 16/12/2008 - 18:40

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

Time is short you shouldn't waste a lot of it sitting around airports.

Stay in Bangkok. Get a hotel near the Skytrain route so you can use that overhead train service to get around the city. http://bangkok.sawadee.com/skytrain.htm

There is lots to see in Bangkok. I would get a hotel in the Siam or Sukhumvit Road area so you can walk to many places.
    http://www.asiatraveltips.com/ThingstodoinBangkok.shtml

You can get tours through the many travel agencies. Stop in, select a tour if you want and the company picks you up at your hotel and returns you there. You can even sign up for an evening dinner cruise.

List of hotels you can look over:
    http://www.asiahotels.com/location-listby-starrating/Bangkok-Thailand.asp&sr=3

Cheaper hotels also available.

Good luck.

#6 Posted: 17/12/2008 - 20:26

• basejump

Joined Travelfish
    14th November, 2008

thanks for all your advice; i'd hadn't appreaciated that bangkok had a lot to offer

#7 Posted: 17/12/2008 - 22:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.