Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Where would you rather spend a month?

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

I want to get my TEFL in Thailand in Feb. and wanted to get the opinions of some of you fine travelfish readers.

Here are my options:

Phuket
    Chiang Mai
    Ban Phe

Could a few people give me some opinions. I have been to Phuket and Chiang Mai. It's a hard choice between beaches and mountains - all beautiful...but I wondered what people with more experience would say.

Thanks!!

#1 Posted: 18/12/2008 - 11:06

• Advertisement

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

Women seem to like Phuket and Chiang Mai .

How is your budget? Phuket will be a little more expensive than Chiang Mai , Bangkok or Pattaya.

My choice would be to probably stay in Pattaya for a month. Hotels are cheap, lots of malls, restaurants, cheap transportation in town (10 baht) and interesting night life. Only around 125 baht for the bus ride to Pattaya from the Ekamai bus station on Sukhukmvit Road. But that is me!

Nothing says you cannot go to more than one of these places during your 30 days off. You can take the overnight sleeper train up to Chiang Mai and then head over to Chiang Rai too! Ride a boat down the Mekong too!

Good luck.

#2 Posted: 18/12/2008 - 11:32

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

Oh, I didn't know Ban Phe was close to Pattaya! I have been there too but it was four years ago.

The people watching there is enough to keep you busy for hours!!

#3 Posted: 18/12/2008 - 11:39

• Thaiman

Click here to learn more about Thaiman
    Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

Quite honestly,and I stress my opinion only,2 or 3 nights in all of them would be enough for me.I'd rather go somewhere else away from the crowds.

#4 Posted: 18/12/2008 - 15:28

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Surely this should depend on the value and quality of the TEFL course you are doing.

Seriously have you looked at the TEFL course offered by Island TEFL on Koh Samui? I have heard pretty good reports about this course and that is where I would head for. Second choice would be the Chiang Mai course. Now that T&T no longer exists in Phuket, I would not bother doing a course there.

#5 Posted: 18/12/2008 - 16:21

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

I would choose Chaing Mai for a month. Its got all you need and is actually quite a cool place to live for a while.

#6 Posted: 18/12/2008 - 21:25

• travelrock

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2008
    Total reviews: 18

phuket for access to beaches and khao sok

#7 Posted: 18/12/2008 - 22:29

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

Rufus - thank you so much for your suggestion to the Island TEFL!! Not only is it cheaper than the others but it INCLUDES accomodation.

#8 Posted: 18/12/2008 - 22:34

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

A month in Pattaya? Ugh... That's almost as bad as a month in Las Vegas.

#9 Posted: 20/12/2008 - 04:51

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

"A month in Pattaya? Ugh... That's almost as bad as a month in Las Vegas."

But Pattaya is a heck of lot cheaper!
    (Las Vegas is even snowed in right now!)

#10 Posted: 20/12/2008 - 09:18

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I spent a month on a beach on Ko Pha Ngan once -- didn't get any teaching done, but did design a fabulous frisbee golf course...

#11 Posted: 20/12/2008 - 10:19

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

I think I am going to go with Koh Samui. It's the cheapest so ill have extra money for diving lessons as well. I just hope it isn't too much of a party island because ill be tempted to go out all the time!

#12 Posted: 20/12/2008 - 21:49

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

It is a party island, but as I said, I have heard decent things about the course. Don't just take a course because its cheap; you need to get a lot out of it as well.

#13 Posted: 21/12/2008 - 16:08

• davidjones1-

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2008

Chiangmai University offers an internationally recognised TEFL qualification - its more expensive than other courses on offer in Chiangmai but probably has more prestige value when applying for jobs in Thailand or elsewhere.

If it was me, I would choose Chiangmai as the place to spend some time. The city offers an incredible array of entertainment/restuarants/cinemas and yet within 20 minutes drive you can be in the most amazing countryside. In my opinion Chiangmai offers the best of both worlds.

#14 Posted: 24/12/2008 - 17:00

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

"but probably has more prestige value when applying for jobs in Thailand or elsewhere."

Does it? I am very curioushow you arrived at this conclusion David. In my experience where you did your TEFL makes absolutely no difference to any prospective employer. Have you got a different experience?

By the way, the Chiang Mai course is by far not the only one internationally recognised. T&T's course eg gives you university credits. Virtually all of them are internationally recognised and seriously, that recognition means bugger all.

#15 Posted: 25/12/2008 - 12:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.