Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bungalows on the beach

• rglempera

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2008

Hello, Rick from Toronto here.

I was recently married, my wife and I are heading to Thailand for a month-long honeymoon, from mid-January to mid-February.

Our first order of business upon arriving is to find a bungalow/villa on a beautiful beach on a laid-back island to just RELAX for a week. I have looked on, perhap literally, hundreds of web sites looking for a place. I've found several that look nice, but it's always hard to tell from the limited pics/descriptions online.

Does anybody have a place to recommend? A bit about our preference:
    privacy is important, we don't want a bungalow in a row of 50.
    We'd like to be right on the beach and are willing to pay more for it, our price range is around 2k - 4k baht a night.
    Ideally we'd have a large king/queen bed (most places I've seen are double only), AC and a TV/DVD would be nice but not necessary.
    We are totally open to all islands, as long as they have something that suits our needs. We are not interested in full-moon parties etc.

Anyway, any personal recommendations (and web site or emails would be great!) would be very much appreciated. We have the guide books etc but we always prefer to take personal recommendations from fellow travelers.

Thanks again,

Rick

#1 Posted: 19/12/2008 - 23:59

• Advertisement

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Hi, Going by what you said I would recommend 'Chaes Place' (Tong Ta Kian Villa) on Ko Samui. Its in-between La Mai and Cheweng and is right by a private beach thats only shared by a few bungalows (including samui yacht club)

I can recommend the aircon rooms with tiled, walk-in shower room/tv/big bed and I think a safe aswell. I have stayed there a few times and also about 5 of my mates have been there again and again over the last 4/5 years.

Not sure what the price is now but it wasnt more than B2000 a night, might be more like B1500 tho,

Apart from there I can personally recommend Haad Yao Bungalows on Ko Phangag (in Haad Yao)

:)

#2 Posted: 20/12/2008 - 01:39

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

The main eastern beach on Ko Ngai is very nice and has a range of attractive midrange and high end places. I can only recall one place name off the tip of my head - Thapwarin. I have a few other names listed and some shots on my Ngai page first link below.

The Sivalae on nearby Ko Muk is gorgeous - all by itself on a lovely spit of sand.

Nearby Kradan has a new flash place called the 7 Seas. Website looks nice and the beach certainly is.

I was kinda impressed by the looks of the new La Laanta on Bamboo Beach, Ko Lanta when I called by earlier this month. Bungalows up a slope around the pool in from the beach.

#3 Posted: 20/12/2008 - 18:15

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Koh Wai (a smaller island near the island of Koh Chang)

The island's little, so resort options are limited... the nicest of the bunch is this one:

http://www.kohwaibeachresort.com/

#4 Posted: 20/12/2008 - 19:18

• rglempera

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2008

Thank you for your responses, much appreciated.

Joh Mak-Mak, I found some pics of Che's place but the web site for the location is down, so I emailed them. If you know if any other sites that have pics or information about prices, please let me know. From what I saw it looks great.

Any other recommendations would be appreciated. We are especially interested in Ko Phi Phi as we are very into diving.

Thanks!

Rick

#5 Posted: 22/12/2008 - 05:34

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Nicest PP beach with a dive outfit and eay access to town is Long Beach. Best accommodation on the beach is The Beach Resort. Paradise Pear, Paradise Resort and PP Hill are a step or more down in stars but not bad.

#6 Posted: 22/12/2008 - 06:27

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

I take it youve seen it on Travelfish here - http://www.travelfish.org/accommodation_profile/thailand/southern_thailand/surat_thani/thong_ta_kien_bay/all/1496

Some reiews i found - http://www.thailand-hotel-reviews.com/samui/thongtakian.htm

I cant actually find the website for thong takian villa now but they did have one. Maybe check out one of the other resorts on this little, private beach.

#7 Posted: 23/12/2008 - 00:16

• sdglobetrot-
    ter

Joined Travelfish
    23rd December, 2008

If you are into diving and are interested in Ko Phi Phi , I would recommend going to/staying on Ko Lanta. It is cheaper and more private than the surrounding islands and just as beautiful. You are a ferry ride from Ko Phi Phi and the many beautiful surrounding islands and dive sights. There are several diving companies and options on and around Ko Lanta. As for privacy, the further south you go on Ko Lanta, the more turquoise the water and more private the accomodation. Good luck and congrats!

#8 Posted: 23/12/2008 - 08:38

• JohnnyCash

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008

I have been to ko samet which is not far from Bangkok only 3 hrs away . Not many tourist go there so not much crowded yet. Stayed at White sand . It was great place. Or you could try Ko Chang there are plenty there.
    good sites to book are asiarooms and latestays.com
    Cheers

#9 Posted: 27/12/2008 - 14:42

• travelrock

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2008
    Total reviews: 18

Lanta doesnt have any diving and less beautiful than other islands.

You should go to Ko Kut which has beautiful beaches and few tourists.

#10 Posted: 9/1/2009 - 09:32

• Advertisement

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

" Lanta doesn't have any diving " ???World class diving off Lanta is Hin Daeng/Hin Muang. I dived with Lanta diver and found it to be very well run operation

#11 Posted: 9/1/2009 - 10:57

• travelrock

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2008
    Total reviews: 18

hin daeng is miles from lanta

#12 Posted: 9/1/2009 - 23:07

• rglempera

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2008

Thanks again everyone for your replies. We have decided to spend the majority of our time on three islands: Ko Mak, Ko Lanta and Ko Samui. We are also spending some time up North and going on a live aboard to the Similans for a while to get in some dives!

I am going to make a separate post asking for recommendations on dive shops on the three islands. If you have any recommendations, they would be very much appreciated, either here or on the other post.

Thanks again everyone, it has been extremely helpful.

All the best, Rick

#13 Posted: 9/1/2009 - 23:39

• EmjayReet

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2006
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 3

Try the VIP rooms at Relax Bay Resort at Ko Lanta... sounds like it could be your thing... We also loved Milky Bay Resort on Ko Phangan... which is far away enough from the FMP to suit... we stayed in a basic bunglow there but they do have a new beachfront one now I think which would be great.

Alternatively look at www.sawadee.com and pick your area.. great for booking and usually have some of the best prices.

Oh and another that people rave about is Relax Beach Resort on Ko Phi Phi - basic but beautiful.

#14 Posted: 11/1/2009 - 16:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Nai Ya Beach Bungalows and Yu Nui Bungalows at Yu Nui, Phuket ... By Jantzen on 2 Apr 2008 0 1745 2 Apr 2008
sok san beach bungalows ... By gazzzza on 22 Mar 2011 0 2814 22 Mar 2011
long beach bungalows ... By barrylad66 on 11 Mar 2008 0 1904 11 Mar 2008
The Cove Beach Bungalows ... By idoh on 24 Nov 2009 0 2103 24 Nov 2009