Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bangkok Hotel - First night treat - Advice?

• Tazzfalcon

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008

Hello, this is my first post.

Im going to Bangkok in mid march 09 where im meeting my girlfriend for the first time in 4 months, shes been away doing the packpacker thing through Oz, NZ etc.

As a bit of a treat id like to stay somewhere a bit more upmarket the first night there before downgrading to standard backpacker guesthouses.

Does anyone have any advice of any nice (min 3* pref 4*) hotels in "central" bangkok (there or there abouts...) max im looking to spend is about £40 GBP (google thinks this is just over 2000baht). Is that a resonable figure? any suggestions - im a first time SE Asia visitor!

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 20/12/2008 - 23:44

• Advertisement

• amazon_blon-
    de

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008
    Total reviews: 9

I'm there right now. We were looking for a treat after 6 weeks in Nepal. There are some very good deals on expedia and/or hotels.com. You may have to wait until closer to the date. Try the Sukhumvit area - good nightlife, good eats, close to shopping but less expensive than Siam Square area. We are at the FuramaXclusive Asoke and got a deal for $55 USD including an amazing breakfast. Great rooms, I defnately recommend. But there's many others that may have deals in that price range. (Park Plaza, Dream, Landmark just a few). Try searching 4-5* places in the area then checking the review in TripAdvisor of anything you like.

Hope that helps.

#2 Posted: 21/12/2008 - 09:17

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Tazz,

I checked the listings on expedia and hotels.com like amazon blonde suggested and found lots of great choices just like she said. The FuramaXclusive she recommended looked hard to beat. It is near the expressway, however, so I wonder how the traffic noise is there.

The Sukhumvit area is a good choice for your purposes. If you wind up staying in that area, I'd recommend having at least one meal at Cabbages & Condoms restaurant on Sukhumvit Soi 12. Great food and a fun atmosphere.

Also, if you have the budget for it, you might consider spending two nights in the posh hotel rather than just one. That way you'll be able to stretch out and enjoy the hotel amenities much more, spend time in the swimming pool, etc. Have fun. Cheers.

#3 Posted: 21/12/2008 - 23:59

• Thaiman

Click here to learn more about Thaiman
    Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

Agree with both of the above posts about the Sukhumvit area and perhaps try the Honey Hotel in Soi 19.Good rates,swimming pool and coffee shop and just a short walk to Sukhumvit.Also being in a Soi it's a bit quieter.

#4 Posted: 22/12/2008 - 05:14

• NKINBKK

Joined Travelfish
    23rd December, 2008

hi Tazz. I live here.

Have a look at La Fenix hotel which is just off Sukhumvit Soi 11...I have had friends stay there and they've loved it. Costs around 3,000 baht which is inclusive of all taxes and breakfast. the area has a lot going on and the BTS (skytrain) is a complimentary hotel tuk tuk ride down the street.

Failing that, if you are after the bigger resort style hotel you'll probably find they're doing deals at the moment as tourism figures are about half what they should be...no harm in asking them, so you might want to look at The Sheraton Grand, the Landmark, or the JW Marriot which are all 5 star hotels with great pools and facilities and are on Sukhumvit between 2 and 16.

Merry Christmas!

#5 Posted: 23/12/2008 - 13:57

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

As an alternative to Sukhumvit, Silom has some high end hotels and has plenty of entertainment too. I prefer Silom myself and would recommend staying in this area.

Have a great time in Thailand.

#6 Posted: 23/12/2008 - 17:51

• amazon_blon-
    de

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008
    Total reviews: 9

some of the deals seem to good to be true. To be honest, we chose the Furama because we got a 2 nights for 1 deal that made the rate under $60 usd including breakfast and happy hour beers on the rooftop. If you can get that, it's a steal.

#7 Posted: 23/12/2008 - 21:46

• Aava

Joined Travelfish
    21st September, 2009
    Total reviews: 4

We stayed at Furama Sathorn (Silom) this october for three nights because at the good reviews in here and we were more than satisfied. Highly recommended because it is a very nice and elegant hotel with comfortable rooms, free WIFI, very friendly and helpful staff, near the skytrain, and all for a very good price! We also only payed 30 Euro per night for the room. For me Furama is the best option to stay in Central Bangkok!

#8 Posted: 2/11/2009 - 19:49

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Hotel advice in Bangkok? ... By ramayer on 22 Feb 2008 9 6588 27 Sep 2008