Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

bangkok to north thailand

• tomlo1981

Joined Travelfish
    24th December, 2008

hi
    i'm going to attempt 'the region' itinerary suggested oon this site in a reduced timescale (4 weeks) however am going to miss/fly some destinations. Pretty much want to start in Laos. what is the best way to get from Bangkok to Laos (north, somewhere like Luang Prubang maybe via north Thailand). i arrive at BK airport at 23.10 on 3/3/09 but would like to leave ASAP to begin the tour. I'll have already visited Bangkok so would like to start the journey immediately. Any suggestions are greatly apprdciated.

#1 Posted: 24/12/2008 - 20:49

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

it sounds like your best bet would be to fly directly to luang prabang from bangkok on bangkok airways. they have two flights scheduled from bkk to lp on march 4th.

if you are keen to go via northern thailand, there are several discount airlines that fly from bkk to chiang mai. from there you can fly on lao airways from chiang mai to luang prabang. hope that helps. cheers.

#2 Posted: 24/12/2008 - 22:56

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

hi you could also head to Nong Khai on the o/night sleeper,spend a night on the mekong checking out Nong Khai before you make the straightforward crossing into Laos via Vientiane.Personally I enjoyed the couple of days I spent checking out Vientiane.As exacto said you could also fly direct and do the loop backwards.The North East of Thailand( Isaan ) region is well worth a look

#3 Posted: 25/12/2008 - 06:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.