Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

What can one do in 5.5weeks in SE Asia without feeling overstretched

Posted by Tazzfalcon on 30/12/2008 at 01:33

Hi,

to reintroduce myself: Im going to SE Asia for five and a half weeks from mid March to Late April,

Now, im really getting into the idea of doing the whole backpacker/independent traveller thing (all be it with my girlfriend). However I 'am keenly aware than some people do SE Asia in 5 months and still complain they haven't had enough time and I don't want to feel like all ive seen is the inside of a bus/train/taxi etc.

I should clarify the SE Asia I 'am really talking about is: Thailand (I 'am flying in and out of BKK), Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. Vietnam being the least likely to happen, depending on the advice i get on this thread (due to its overland distance from Bangkok)... Additionally I really want to get down to the South of Thailand at some stage and spend a night or three on Ko Phi Phi.

I digress, my question is - using only overland and river transport (no internal flights due to budget constraints) how far can I realistically go without spending say, more than a quarter of my time on or in some kind of vehicle.

#1 Tazzfalcon has been a member since 20/12/2008. Posts: 18

Posted by swag on 30/12/2008 at 07:53

hi personally i'd only see two of the four mentioned countries in that time frame. also you mentioned no internal flights.i have just paid for a flight from bkk to hat yai cost $39 us with air asia as they have no fuel surcharge at the moment. this is cheaper than 2nd class sleeper for the same trip plane taking 1 1/2 hrs train probably 15 hrs with food and drink costs etc

#2 swag has been a member since 28/3/2007. Location: Australia. Posts: 331

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.