Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

What can one do in 5.5weeks in SE Asia without feeling overstretched

• Tazzfalcon

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008

Hi,

to reintroduce myself: Im going to SE Asia for five and a half weeks from mid March to Late April,

Now, im really getting into the idea of doing the whole backpacker/independent traveller thing (all be it with my girlfriend). However I 'am keenly aware than some people do SE Asia in 5 months and still complain they haven't had enough time and I don't want to feel like all ive seen is the inside of a bus/train/taxi etc.

I should clarify the SE Asia I 'am really talking about is: Thailand (I 'am flying in and out of BKK), Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. Vietnam being the least likely to happen, depending on the advice i get on this thread (due to its overland distance from Bangkok)... Additionally I really want to get down to the South of Thailand at some stage and spend a night or three on Ko Phi Phi.

I digress, my question is - using only overland and river transport (no internal flights due to budget constraints) how far can I realistically go without spending say, more than a quarter of my time on or in some kind of vehicle.

#1 Posted: 30/12/2008 - 01:33

• Advertisement

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

hi personally i'd only see two of the four mentioned countries in that time frame. also you mentioned no internal flights.i have just paid for a flight from bkk to hat yai cost $39 us with air asia as they have no fuel surcharge at the moment. this is cheaper than 2nd class sleeper for the same trip plane taking 1 1/2 hrs train probably 15 hrs with food and drink costs etc

#2 Posted: 30/12/2008 - 07:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.