Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand Visas and Itineraries

• carpeybiggs

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2008

First off, many thanks to the many people contributing to this site. I just stumbled upon it, and am pleasantly surprised by the information.

I have stumbled into a very nice opportunity to go to Southeast Asia for approximately 10 weeks. I am flying into Bangkok on Jan. 10, but I haven't the time to flesh out my itinerary precisely.

My biggest concern is the new Thai visa changes. We would like to see Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia, and possibly Vietnam, if it isn't too much trouble. What is the easiest way to secure visas for these countries? We plan on arriving in Bangkok and getting the 30 day visa.

We would like to spend the first 30 days in Thailand. Any suggestions on where to head next? Is 10 weeks enough time to see 4 countries without feeling rushed? Or should we cut out Vietnam?

I am thinking 4 weeks in Thailand, 2 weeks in Laos, 2 in Cambodia, and perhaps 2 in Vietnam. If not, the last two would be back in Thailand.

So, to clarify my questions;

1 - What is the easiest way to get visas for Laos, Cambodia, and possibly Vietnam?

2 - Is the time allotted sufficient to see 4 countries, or should we trim it back to three?

Many thanks.

#1 Posted: 30/12/2008 - 10:10

• Advertisement

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

From Thailand I would head Nth into Laos. If you get to Chiang Mai or udon, you can take the international bus to Vientiane. You can get a visa on arrival - 30 days - at the border. You can see all 4 countries in 10 weeks.

#2 Posted: 31/12/2008 - 17:47

• carpeybiggs

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2008

Thanks Rufus. My tentative plans are getting a bit more clear. I think we are planning on heading north from Chiang Mai to Huay Xai , eventually heading to Vientiane .

From Vientiane I want to head to Hue, Vietname, south to Saigon, then back into Cambodia for Pnom Penh and Siem Reap, ending in Bangkok.

Border crossings will be:

Thailand - (visa on arrival)
    Thailand to Laos - Huay Xai (visa on arrival)
    Laos to Vietnam - Lao Bao (unsure of visa)
    Vietnam to Cambodia - Chau Doc (unsure of visa)
    Siem Reap to Bangkok (2nd 15 day visa on arrival)

Can we get visas on arrival at these locations, or do we need to get visas figured out prior to arrival? Can we get visas for these countries in Thailand?

#3 Posted: 1/1/2009 - 00:56

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

You'll need to get your Vietnamese visa beforehand - I'd suggest at the Vietnamese embassy in Vientiane .

For Cambodia, get your visa at the border.

You'll also find a lot of useful visa info in the Visas and Border Crossing FAQ

#4 Posted: 1/1/2009 - 14:08

• beckym319

Joined Travelfish
    5th January, 2009

i dont think you will be given your thai visa on arrival unless you have proof of a flight out of thailand within those 30 days.. as far as i can work out thats the case anyway. i just wonder whether they will accept a flight from vientiane to hanoi as proof.

#5 Posted: 7/1/2009 - 18:28

• travelrock

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2008
    Total reviews: 18

you dont need a visa for thailand for stays under 30 days.

some airlines will however require you to have an onward ticket within 30 days if you dont have a visa

#6 Posted: 8/1/2009 - 10:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand itineraries - thoughts please! ... By squire82 on 20 Dec 2010 3 1759 27 Dec 2010