Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Ko Chang and Ko Maak

• fernery

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2008

Hello,

I will be heading to Ko Chang for about 5 days, mid of Jan. I am considering Ko Maak in this trip. I read some reviews on Ko Maak and have concerns about the sandflies situation mentioned, amongst some other positive comments. Questions:

1.Is Ko Maak worth spending 2 nights?
    2.Is there another island that is definitely worth checking out instead?
    3.Is staying in Ko Chang good enough for the short few days I have there?

Appreciate any advice. Thanks a bunch!

#1 Posted: 2/1/2009 - 00:39

• Advertisement

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

hi, no doubt you would have read the previous threads on this subject. i spent two weeks on chang/mak in march 07. i personally didn't notice any sandflies for the week i was on mak.re wether it's worth 2 nights out of 5 days is hard to answer.chang is certainly more built up and populated where as mak was a lot smaller and quieter,i.e most of the island shut down about 9.30-10pm.depends on what interests you most.

#2 Posted: 2/1/2009 - 04:15

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

I stayed on Ko Maak for 3 days in December 2007 and also did not notice the sandflies if there were any. I stayed at Suchanaree Bungalows, a pretty basic but okay establishment on a nice stretch of beach. It's a lovely little island overall, but with only 5 days I don't know if it's worth changing islands in the middle of it. If you have no particular need to make reservations, just go to Ko Chang and see if you like it there enough to stay for the entire time.

#3 Posted: 2/1/2009 - 04:58

• fernery

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2008

Thanks for all that.

Lother, thanks for the Suchanaree Bungalows recommendation, I am keen on that. I'll probably walk in there to check for availability.

Swage, ideally, my agenda for this trip is to find a spectacular beach, stay at a cheap and charming beachfront bungalow and laze the days away. It'd be nice to find some life around, enjoy a few drinks and see some movies at the restaurants of kind, but not to the extent of the Phuket or Phi Phi scene.

Now. I probably would shop for accommodations upon arrival at Ko Chang, can anyone advise which is a good beach to start?

#4 Posted: 2/1/2009 - 10:33

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

hi, from what you've said check out the Kai Bae section of the destination guide for chang. this will probably have all you need for 5 days.that'll go pretty quick.you don't mention a budget so this might be a better option.any questions ask away

#5 Posted: 2/1/2009 - 11:07

• fernery

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2008

Thanks Swag, for the recommendation. I've looked but most of the accommodation styles seem somewhat too high end and not cozy enough for personal preference.

I am looking at Blue Lagoon guesthouse on Khlong Prao Beach, OR this place called Independant Bo on Haad Sai Khao Beach. It fits in my budget of no more than 1000THB a night and seem quite a laid back and cozy place. Wonder which is a nicer hangout beach?

#6 Posted: 2/1/2009 - 11:40

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I reckon Mak is worth 2 days - nice island. So too are nearby Whai and Kut. I experienced no sandfly problems on Mak in 2 visits.
    Independant Bo is a real funky looking place on the small headland between the main part of White Sand Beach and the less visited and much nicer northern end. It would be my pick of areas to stay on White Sand on a budget.

#7 Posted: 2/1/2009 - 17:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Koh Chang, Koh Maak, and other questions... ... By husker16 on 29 Sep 2010 19 2824 7 Dec 2010
Christmas around Ko Chang/Ko Maak? ... By shrn62 on 17 Nov 2007 0 2879 17 Nov 2007
Windsurfing in Ko Chang or Ko Maak ... By quietwindsurfer on 31 Dec 2010 0 2771 31 Dec 2010
The Other (Eastern) Islands - Ko Chang, Ko Maak, Ko Wai ... By caseyprich on 9 Mar 2010 0 2632 9 Mar 2010