Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Ko Chang and Ko Maak

Posted by fernery on 2/1/2009 at 00:39

Hello,

I will be heading to Ko Chang for about 5 days, mid of Jan. I am considering Ko Maak in this trip. I read some reviews on Ko Maak and have concerns about the sandflies situation mentioned, amongst some other positive comments. Questions:

1.Is Ko Maak worth spending 2 nights?
2.Is there another island that is definitely worth checking out instead?
3.Is staying in Ko Chang good enough for the short few days I have there?

Appreciate any advice. Thanks a bunch!

#1 fernery has been a member since 20/11/2008. Posts: 8

Posted by swag on 2/1/2009 at 04:15

hi, no doubt you would have read the previous threads on this subject. i spent two weeks on chang/mak in march 07. i personally didn't notice any sandflies for the week i was on mak.re wether it's worth 2 nights out of 5 days is hard to answer.chang is certainly more built up and populated where as mak was a lot smaller and quieter,i.e most of the island shut down about 9.30-10pm.depends on what interests you most.

#2 swag has been a member since 28/3/2007. Location: Australia. Posts: 330

Posted by Lother on 2/1/2009 at 04:58

I stayed on Ko Maak for 3 days in December 2007 and also did not notice the sandflies if there were any. I stayed at Suchanaree Bungalows, a pretty basic but okay establishment on a nice stretch of beach. It's a lovely little island overall, but with only 5 days I don't know if it's worth changing islands in the middle of it. If you have no particular need to make reservations, just go to Ko Chang and see if you like it there enough to stay for the entire time.

#3 Lother has been a member since 12/5/2006. Location: Earth. Posts: 214

Posted by fernery on 2/1/2009 at 10:33

Thanks for all that.

Lother, thanks for the Suchanaree Bungalows recommendation, I am keen on that. I'll probably walk in there to check for availability.

Swage, ideally, my agenda for this trip is to find a spectacular beach, stay at a cheap and charming beachfront bungalow and laze the days away. It'd be nice to find some life around, enjoy a few drinks and see some movies at the restaurants of kind, but not to the extent of the Phuket or Phi Phi scene.

Now. I probably would shop for accommodations upon arrival at Ko Chang, can anyone advise which is a good beach to start?

#4 fernery has been a member since 20/11/2008. Posts: 8

Posted by swag on 2/1/2009 at 11:07

hi, from what you've said check out the Kai Bae section of the destination guide for chang. this will probably have all you need for 5 days.that'll go pretty quick.you don't mention a budget so this might be a better option.any questions ask away

#5 swag has been a member since 28/3/2007. Location: Australia. Posts: 330

Posted by fernery on 2/1/2009 at 11:40

Thanks Swag, for the recommendation. I've looked but most of the accommodation styles seem somewhat too high end and not cozy enough for personal preference.

I am looking at Blue Lagoon guesthouse on Khlong Prao Beach, OR this place called Independant Bo on Haad Sai Khao Beach. It fits in my budget of no more than 1000THB a night and seem quite a laid back and cozy place. Wonder which is a nicer hangout beach?

#6 fernery has been a member since 20/11/2008. Posts: 8

Posted by tezza on 2/1/2009 at 17:55

I reckon Mak is worth 2 days - nice island. So too are nearby Whai and Kut. I experienced no sandfly problems on Mak in 2 visits.
Independant Bo is a real funky looking place on the small headland between the main part of White Sand Beach and the less visited and much nicer northern end. It would be my pick of areas to stay on White Sand on a budget.

#7 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,338
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.